6 inch speaker recommendation?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
Hi

I just replaced the old radio in my boat with a Jensen that has 40 watts per channel. I need to replace the original speakers in the boat which are 6 inch. Does anybody have a recommendation for a decent pair of 6 inch round marine speakers?

Thanks

Paul

Are you sure they are not 6.5 "? Lot more options with that size.

They are definitely 6 inch. Unfortunately Nitro decided to use 6 inch speakers for their stock design in my boat. Would have been much more convenient if they had used a standard size like 6.5 inch.

JBL makes a good sounding speaker. For the money,Fusion don't sound bad at all either.

Paul. try Radio Shack. I've replaced speakers before and they have a very large stock of all sizes, shapes and wattage.

Barry from La. :)

I agree with Sean, JBL is a great speaker. I was a musician for years and probably have tried them all. JBL is a good choice, and the prices aren't bad either. Gib...

The radio power is 40 watts per speaker. Its a Jensen radio but can't remember the model number at the moment. I'm guessing the better sounding speakers happen to be rated for much higher than that. If I get speakers that are rated much higher and want to take advantage of them, will adding an amplifier be a good idea and produce good sound quality?

I'd like to also add a set of portable speakers so that they can be taken out and placed on the front or back deck when hanging out and swimming off the boat. Does anybody have any slick ideas or products for a portable pair of speakers and the best way to provide a plugin connection?

Thanks!

Ratings are for max wattage. Good speakers can operate well with minimal wattage and handle high wattage. Try good speakers out with the Jensen before worrying about an amp.

Thanks for the info Sean. I think that is a good plan. I'll buy a decent pair of speakers with a higher power rating and see how they perform with just the radio power wise. If loud enough then no amp.

I'd like to also add a set of portable speakers so that they can be taken out and placed on the front or back deck when hanging out and swimming off the boat. Does anybody have any slick ideas or products for a portable pair of speakers and the best way to provide a plugin connection?

Thanks!

I just replaced my speakers on my 188 sport (6" speaker) with kickers and they sound very good in my opinion.

Poly Planar speakers are 100% water proof. So much so that they will work underwater.

IMHO the only ones that I will put in a boat!

Thanks everybody! Oh my gosh .. so many choices. Fusion, Kicker, Poly planar, ...

Paul

OK. I'm having a heck of a time finding a good speaker that will fit in the existing speaker locations for my 188 Sport. The cutout diameter is 5.25 inch diameter and the outside diameter of the mounted speaker grill is 6.5 inches which is close to the max that will fit. All the speakers I have looked for online that fit the cutout have an outside diameter that is too large. Has anybody bought a new pair of speakers for a 188 Sport and if so what brand and model number?

Thanks

Paul

I had a hard time myself I also have a 188 sport. I ended up buying a 6" speaker. I had to drill new holes but they fit and sound very good. Just copy and paste this address in your browser and it should work. (I cant figure out how post a link)

http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-11KM6200-Water-Resistant-Speakers-Tweeters/dp/B005NTOHY8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367409169&sr=8-5&keywords=kicker+marine+speakers

MattC
http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-11KM62...qid=1367409169&sr=8-5&keywords=kicker+marine+

Thanks Matt! Great information. I will pick a pair of those up since they are proven to fit and sound good.

Were the new holes you had to drill for the mounting screws?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Matt. I ordered them up last night.

Paul

Hi Matt

I also sent you an email on the same ...

I received the KM6200 speakers that we discussed on the Nitro Owners site. I removed the old speakers from my 188 Sport and the Kicker's don't seem to fit. Did you have to enlarge the hole or do something special to get them to fit?

Thanks,

Paul

Latest posts

Back