3 batteries, 2 bank charger - will it work?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Cozadd

Reaction score
I have jammed 3 large size batteries 27's, in the back of my tracker. I am using 2 deep cells in parrallel for my AT55 and the other is the starting/electronics battery. Right now I have the one bank going to the starting battery and the other bank going to one of the two parrellel batteries. I also have the trolling motor cables on opposite batteries and 6 guage cable linking the two batteries up (black to black, red to red). Everything work just fine, and the volt meter reads 12.75 so I'm good there. But I am wondering if the charger hooked up to the one battery will charge the other battery in the parrellel set up? I'm thinking it will work but just take longer to get a full charge. A 3 bank charger just isn't in the budget right now so I'm hoping this will work until I can get the 3 bank.

I would not want to depend upon it. Also, most chargers of this type 'sense' the battery charge, and apply current based upon need. It will be difficult for it to properly sense when the two are in parallel.

I'm sure that Sue D. from Guest will chime in here. She is by far, more informed than I am.

Tex

In therory it should work OK a little hard on the 1 side of the charger though. I would think since the engine will keep the starting battery charged it would be better just to hook up your on-board charger to the 2 tm batteries. Wait for Sue D's input she knows more about this than I do.

BF

Jeff, consider doing what I did before I got my 3 bank.

Let the dual bank charge the TMB's and purchase the $26.00 or $29.00 3 amp trickle charger for your cranking bat. just to keep it topped off and ready to go. You would think all things being equal and the 2 TM's hooked together they would discharge at the same rate, but they probably won't. I love my 2745 I got from Sue awhile back for a bargain. Saw the new style in Cabela's and almost had a heartattack at the price compared to what I paid.

THANKS Sue YOU are the BEST.

I would go with DL's suggestion and use the dual bank charge for the TMB's. Depending on how often you run/condition of the Cranking battery, you may not even need a charger for the cranking battery. I went for a year just using a clamp on charger for my TM battery and no charger for the cranking battery, I did however, use the boat at least twice a month and usually had long runs when I had it out.

I still use the little Guest clamp on charger. When I first bought the boat I was bleeding money and it was all I could afford. So far I've had no reason to switch. I just clamp it on when I get home and it's always ready the next morning. Every now and then I switch it over to the cranking battery but it always fully charged. I go along with DL.

Harpo

Jeff,

Yes, you can charge your trolling batteries in parallel, but it will take twice as long. What size/brand charger do you have?

Sue

Jeff -

I would also add to Sue's post that you should have no fear of any damage being done to your batteries or charger by doing what you're doing if connected properly - as it sounds like you have.

me!

Jeff,

It should work, however it will probably take upwards of 14 hours. I would recommend hooking both outputs up to your trolling batteries and using a smaller charger on the start battery. Or you could move one output periodically to your start battery to top it off.

Sue

Latest posts

Back