2008 Nitro 189 Sport Running issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldDude

Reaction score
We have a 2008 189 Sport. When on plane the boat leans badly to the left like the weight is offset. It doesn't do this all the time... but when it does its substantial. It doesn't matter about the wind or wave direction. The boat is loaded evenly and is not taking on water. It's the same whether I'm on the left or wife is. I outweigh her by 115 lbs. I can't see anything wrong with the hull. It's not dragging anything underneath. It gets on plane quickly amd without struggle. The leaning to the left is becoming a concern, especially in rougher water.. Any ideas???

OD-
My 189 Sport leans to the port side as well not too bad but I do notice it. I have never tried to correct it or do much too it. My buddy took this last March and your post reminded me that you can see it tilting to the port side. Sorry no real help

Scrooge

Attachments

• Tilt.JPG
    Tilt.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 56
We have a 2008 189 Sport. When on plane the boat leans badly to the left like the weight is offset. It doesn't do this all the time... but when it does its substantial. It doesn't matter about the wind or wave direction. The boat is loaded evenly and is not taking on water. It's the same whether I'm on the left or wife is. I outweigh her by 115 lbs. I can't see anything wrong with the hull. It's not dragging anything underneath. It gets on plane quickly amd without struggle. The leaning to the left is becoming a concern, especially in rougher water.. Any ideas???

Sounds like the motor is not mounted correctly on the transom. If the motor is mounted more to one side it will cause the boat to list to one side under way. Just measure the clamp bracket on the bottom to the end of the transom to the bottom of the chine. Should be within a 16/th of a inch.

2005 188 Sport has the same port list when running. 4 different props 2 different engines verified the centering location when engine swap out occurred, 2 different hydrofoils. Hydrofoil was the best result to level but is still noticeable at slower speeds while on plane. Torque tab on both engines had zero result also. Good luck I have just learned to live with it and pack any weight on the starboard side.

What about adjusting the torque trim tab on the engine? I have a manual tab on the center below the engine (Mercury Optimax 115) that must be adjusted with a wrench. It is a pain to do it every time I have passengers/shift loads..

I will have to look that up. Never heard of it. Can you post a picture? How is it adjusted?

Just purchased a 1994 Nitro with a 150 Mariner on it and got to take it our for the first time on Saturday. I had the same problem, though it wasn't too pronounced. At higher speeds it's barely there. It does have a jackplate. I'd like to see a picture also, Fishhawk50. Thanks!

Some mecury / Mariner motors don't have trim tabs, just a flat peace of zinc or aluminum anode for electrolytic corrosion.

I adjusted the torque trim tab on mine and it resolved my issue. You simply turn it a few degree and go out and try it. If it doesn't resolve the issue, you add a few degrees and try again.

You loosen and move the trailing edge toward the direction the steering is pulling. My boat leans to port but steers to starboard if I let go of the wheel so I moved the tab to starboard to straighten the steering then added a SE Sport 400 hydrofoil and it helped lift the port side up and at higher speed to boat levels out.

I don't recall. I can send you a picture on Saturday.

Which way did you turn the trim tab?
[/

Thanks. I appreciate the info on the tab. I will try on mine as it does the same thing with a 1998 that is a 185FS with a 125hp Force.

The flat zinc on the cavitation plate that's flat is for the boats that have hyd. steering because there is no steering torque from the motor. With cable type steering that zinc will have a skeg type torque tab that is adjustable by turning it in the direction of the torque on the steering wheel.

This is the trim tab on my '96 Yamaha 150 hp.

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_085656484.jpg
    IMG_20210328_085656484.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 16
I'm sorry Jerry... I don't follow what you mean. For cable steering is there an adjustment.

Cable steering is the same as your control cables for shift and throttle. There is no adjustment on that type steering system. Hydraulic steering system has 2 hydraulic hoses that run from the motor to the helm, which is the pump for that type of steering which has no feedback. If you have cable steering you will probley have some sort of feedback in the steering wheel. You can get rid of some of that with the adjustment on the trim tab like the one picture of Nebvet's Yamaha.

Back