2 Stroke VS 4 Stroke

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing my first fishing boat and setup. I'm looking at a 17-18 boat. I have been overwhelmed with information and varying opinions on purchasing a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke motor. Any insight you have would be helpful.

Thanks

Mike W.

Mike what kind of info are you looking for? Cost of operation? Maint?

BF

Mike I run a four stroke(50 hp) on my deep V (18 ft.) & love it , use it trolling for walleye & it is quite, no smell or smoke & never misses a beat. Yes it is slower but then I am fishing not raceing so I don't worry about a hole shot.:wacko:

Here's a little more info on what I would be running. This motor would be on a 17-18' v-hull aluminum boat, probably a Tracker Targa. I am looking at the Mercury 115hp model, either the Optimax or the 4-Stroke.

I bought a Nitro 482 about a year ago, and while doing my research, I looked at a Stratos that was also in the 17-18 foot range as well. The Stratos dealer was also a Yamaha dealer, and they were able to show me a series of graphs indicating the performance of a bunch of bass boats with different styles of Yamaha engines (old 2 stroke, newer two stroke, four stroke). In every case, the two strokes have a much better hole shot and planing time than do the four strokes. This data may still be available on Yamaha's webpage.

Two strokes are also lighter than four strokes, and there are a couple of consequences from that: (1) you may have a slightly slower rig (overall) with a four stroke; and (2) the extra weight may reduce the maximum horsepower that you can put on your boat (further reducing your top end).

This is a long winded way of saying that I think two strokes are a better option for bass boats and for other types of boats that need to get up on plane quickly.

Now, the other question is old style two stroke versus an optimax-style two stroke. I have an optimax on mine, and I am a huge fan of it. The engine strarts like a car, it is much quieter than an old school two stroke, and the emissions are much better (from both an environmental perspective and from the perspective of somebody who has to smell it everytime you start the engine). Biggest downside is that optimax oil is more expensive than regular two stroke oil.

Hope this helps.

I'm not a "greenie" but at some point these decisions have to consider the environment and practical considerations over speed. Remember, if you're running you're not catching fish. There will be a time when 2-strokes are verboten. Your 2-stroke might be grandfathered, meaning you can own it and run it. However, you may start to find that lakes may become off limits to you and your 2-stroke. Remember, if you ain't on the lake you're not catching fish. 4-strokes may be heavier, may be slower, and are certainly more expensive, but why buy a new t-shirt to go to a fancy ballroom only to find out that had you bought a tuxedo, you could have actually attended the ball.

Mike...

I agree with Pete, Last year I bought my new Ranger and had the same questions that you have. I know alot of people dont agree with us, but I put a Verado250 on my boat. Yes it is bigger and a bit heavier. Instead of 4 heavy batteries in the back of my boat, i fought back and got Optima gell cells instead. As far as getting on plane, I havent noticed much difference. My last boat was a Nitro 929 with a 225 EFI, that thing was like a barge. And about the same gas mileage. But I am talking about twice the horsepower than you are looking for. Like Pete says, I too think it is the future. With better emmissions, less noise, smoother running and more dependability, the 4 Stroke was the right motor for me. I get 72 MPH with a GPS on the new ride, which is plenty fast enough for me ( maybe i'm just getting old).

Mike

Oh yeah... and no more oil to buy at $15 a gallon :D

Mike

looks like a lot of good info..

food for thought, remember i had a 115 4 stroke EFI merc on my 882. it took me 2 yrs to get that set up sorrect. the low end torq everyone is talking about is very important. you will probably say that you do not care how fast you can run. just remember my story about being on Lake Winni and not being able to get out of the way of some big swells. you will be running on lake Champlain. that lake is a beast and makes winni look like a pond.

these new verados are a differant beast than the 4 stroke EFI you are looking at. mine was awsome for 3 yrs and then it died. they all can die at any given time, and i would not expect that you would have the same experience i had with mine. but now having the 135 opti Vs the 115 efi. it is like light yrs apart (a lot better than night and day).

remeber i am fishing tournys so that hole shot and planing time it very important to me.that being said...

you will not have to worry about anyone not letting you on Champlain because you are running a 2 stroke opti. the new opti is 3 star emision rated. the same rating as the 4 stroke EFI.

like i said before. listen to everyone you can, go with your heart and get every thing you want.

lastly.. buy as much HP you can aford. that is info i got from this site and it is solid at best..

GregD:D

Just a note Greg,

I don't think your example is as much a 2 vs 4 stroke issue as a horsepower issue. I had an 882 with a 150 Opti, and although it had good top end, it was a pig to get on plane. My opinion is that they should not offer a 115 with that boat. I for one should have bought the 175 with it. It is a big (wide) boat for that class and could've benefitted of extra power.

Pierre

One thing to keep in mind, the verado is a whole different animal and its not an indication of what all four strokes will do. The supercharger helps give the verado the low end torque that a normally aspirated 4 stroke is sorely lacking. If you compare a normally aspirated 4 stroke to a two stroke on a bass boat of the same size and power the two stroke will win handily every time both on top and in accelleration. The verado with its supercharger closes that gap a little.

I can think of a good example of a bass boat with a 4 stroke on it that is completly unimpressive. A guy in my club has a triton 20x with a 225 honda. That boat is by fas the slowest planing boat i have ever been in and driven the top end stinks too. Its a total pig. He has had his boat tweaked by Triton and Honda factory reps(he is nationally sponsored and has that kind of access) My 882/150 will beat it out of the hole and his top end isnt all that much greater then mine. Before this one he had the same boat with a 225 yamahammer 2 stroke on the back and it was much quicker and faster.

Pierre,

I think in Greg's case you might be right comparing a 115 four to a 135 isnt really a fair comparison but if he replaced that 115 four with a 115 two stroke i would have performed better also. The reason, low end torque.

Also the 150 is a fine motor for the 882, its only a pig out of the hole if the setup isnt right. Mine will get on plane with two guys and a full load in like 5 seconds( and no i dont have a hydrofoil), by myself its gone before i can even put the hotfoot to the floor. Its all in the setup because mine was a pig when i got it too.

I have a PT-165 with a 25 4-str and I would not trade if for anything love the motor. My buddie has the same boat with a 25 2-str and I get on plane faster than he does but he his top end is 26-27 mph (GPS) while my topend is 25-26 (mph) GPS but with that said the fastest I have gone was 28 mph on a clear day, water was like oil and I had no gear on the boat with a 1/4 of a tank of gas..With two guys full gear, full tank, full livewell I always get on plane faster than my buddy does.. tourque is a good thing ;)

X

im tellin ya guys 2-stroke is where it is take alook at all mercury racing models I do believe those are the most fastest motor's made I love mine to death and I also get better gas mileage than heavy overweight 4 strokes :D

Jim, Pierre

i do agree that a the opti Vs 115 4 stroke is not a fair comparison. i also agree that they should not have offerd that motor with the 882.

i also have to agree with Jim, my 882 with the 135opti jumps up on plane with problem and no foil..

my point was, although the 4 stroke was quite, fuel efficient and started with out any problems. i have the same qualities with the 135 opti.i have gained performance such as hole shot and mid range power. two things i didn't relize i didn't have untill i put the new motor on the boat.

i have picked up some very usfull input from this site. i wish someone would have said buy as much HP as i could afford before i bought my rig. i probably would have gone with the 150xr. the 115 was almost as much money.

GregD

xmytruck: What prop do you have on it?. I have a PT 170 with a 25 4 stroke and can,t get it on plane with both of us ib the back. My buddy needs to move forward to get it up. I like the fuel economy, but the preformance sucks.

Mike

Arggg ...

I have a 2001 188 Sport with a 115 HP EFI 4 stroke which I bought new. After last season, I am clearly dissappointed in what a dog that motor is out of the hole. Kids are bigger now, so pulling more weight particularly while tubing. I've had it for 6 years and have been very pleased with it as far as it being 100% reliable and fuel efficient ... not a single problem in the entire time. I can always count on it which is the consolation. Unfortunately its performance on my boat is starting to wear on me so if I can ever find some money, I would certainly love to upgrade.

This was my first boat and the advice of the dealership was the 115 HP 4 stroke over the 150 xr6 for the same money. At the time I thought it would be enough HP and it was a much cleaner, efficient, handsoff motor. That's been ok for about 4 or 5 yrs being my first boat but now I need more!!!

Paul

Paul,

I Hear You!!!!!

i to was sold that motor over the 150xr. it to, was my first boat. After 3 yrs i was up for more HP and performance.

as i posted above, my 115 had an electronic issue that could not be resolved. i was fortunate to have a GREAT dealer on my side. in the end, i now have a new 135 Opti.

it saved me a hole lot of money because i was getting ready to upgrade my rig. with the new motor, it is like having a hole new Boat.

GregD

Hey Mike

I beleive my prop pitch is 11, but I will check. My boat run @6000rpms at wot..

Latest posts

Back