1996 170 DC RC Water Leak

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Jenson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up a 1996 Nitro 170 this weekend. I've never owned a bass boat before, only runabouts. I noticed that when moving, I could turn the bilge on every 5 minutes or so and a solid stream would come out for maybe 30 seconds. When the boat was floating at the dock, or beached, it did not take on any water at all that I could see in the bilge area. Any ideas as to what could be the cause? Is there something in the livewell system that would be letting water in at speed? I've never used one of these before. thanks in advance for your help.

Shane

I got the same boat and the same problem. Sometimes when I pull the drain plug a steady stream will run out for a few seconds and other times it will be dry.

How long have you had the boat? I don't see any hull cracks on mine, and there is no leak when floating still, so this is really perplexing me.

Not sure what this hull looks like, but could you be taking in water over the transom when you come off plane? Soem hulls are worse than others about this, if it does all you can do is feather the throttle as you come off plane unitl you get a feel for it.

My 170DC with a 115 would back wash when stopping, just watch, goose a little, always had some drainage after removing from water, no problem.

cq

Water could be getting in a number of ways...

Backwash when coming to a stop

Coming in under the rub rail when under way

Leaking aerator hose/cracked pump housing

Since you said it's no leak when idle, you can almost rule out the leaking aerator/cracked pump housing. To remedy the water coming in under the rub rail, you can re-seal it with a tube of clear, water proof sealant. If it is from water coming over the transom when coming to a stop, just as the boat comes off of plane and starts to slow down, look behind the boat and just as the wake approaches the boat, "goose" the throttle a little to stay ahead of the wake. With a little time, you'll get to where you can pretty much time the wake without looking and you'll find less water in the bilge.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think water is coming up over the transom because the water seems to be coming in after I am on plane and moving at a steady speed. If I maintain that speed, I still have to turn on the bilge every 5 minutes or so. I wasn't sure about the aerator, or the other drain hole above it, as I had never had a bass boat. I wasn't sure if the aerator did something different when the boat is moving. I hadn't thought about the rub rails. That would make sense. Is there a seam in the body of the boat underneath those rails?

Is there a seam in the body of the boat underneath those rails?

Yes, the rub rail covers the area where the top cap and hull come together.

Thanks. I did check the rails last night. There is sealant present along the bottom of the rails, but it does seem a little "flaky in spots towards the back of the boat around the step platforms. I'll try scraping the old stuff off and resealing. Thanks for the advice!

One other thing to keep an eye on that I've witnessed numerous times is to launch your rig off the bunks S-L-O-W-L-Y. So many times I see fellas getting backed down quickly, putting gallons of lake water into their splashwell and triggering the auto bilge (if equipped) then wondering where their "leak" is. Not saying that's the case here, but worth keeping in mind. Good luck! ;)

Thanks Dan. I hadn't considered that, but it makes sense with such a low profile boat. I know that isn't my problem though, because when I turn on the bilge and pump out the water until it just trickles or stops, I can turn on the bilge 5 minutes later (if I am moving) and a full stream comes out for about 30 seconds.

I have the same boat and water comes over the back often. As far as water on being bilged at full plain is probley water that is up in the boat after stoping and when running down the lake the water runs to the back and able to be bilged out. Not sure if it is your problem but happens in my boat.:D

Yea, that is a possibility, however, once I am on plane and let the bilge pump until it is empty, I can continue on plane and have more water in the bilge within a few minutes.

I have no idea. I don't think it could be the drains or pluggs leaking in the back when it is on plain. :huh:

Latest posts

Back