1996 Nitro 896 Savage Cap Removal

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaFreddy

Reaction score
Good morning,
I'm hoping to get some insight on an issue I'm having while attempting to remove the cap off my 1996 Savage 896. The transom has rotted and needs to be replaced so I plan on doing it with Ceramic. In prepping the Cap for removal I have been able to free up everything except for the stern directly around the transom area. From the Bow all the way back and around to the actual Transom is free but I cannot get that area to release. I have twisted down in and around the back like trying to get under a car dashboard, lol. The last thing I want is to apply too much pressure and crack something somewhere. Is there anything that ties the Cap to the Hull in that area or could be catching somehow? I've did 3 other boats similar to this over the years and have never come across this issue. Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220326_152304 - Copy.jpg
    20220326_152304 - Copy.jpg
    927 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230120_103129.jpg
    20230120_103129.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230120_103151.jpg
    20230120_103151.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
I just did that. Look up my thread on it. On mine where the splash well tied into the transom it was glassed and had to be cut. It was glassed between the inner skin, over the transom wood.

I did not separate the two hulls as you did. I cut to gain access to the transom wood.

Also, I used SeaCast and I highly recommend their product. Good tech support. The lady you with deal with comes off as a know it all. But she is pretty sharp. Check your ego when talking to cause she is a pistol. I learned alot from her but also had to make some in the field judgment calls that did not necessarily follow her advice. She definitely knows her product and how to help get the best results.

Here is my thread. Look at the first picture where I cut the transom off and you can see what I am talking about concerning the two hull pieces being glassed together. My boat is 93 180TF

Thread 'New problem...Transom Rot' New problem...Transom Rot

Thanks for responding Chobeemauga, what you did is impressive! If I cut the top above the transom would the cap free up then? I felt like that was what was happening but no way to really see it. Looking at your first cut it appears that is exactly where I'm hung up. I also had already checked out Seacast and that's what I intend to use. It seems to be top of the line. Much appreciated!

I think you have two options. 1) cut the center of the transom like I did. Save the piece you can put it back and cover your work nicely. So it will be a long cut along the splash well. Then two smaller cuts to free that piece. That is what I did.
2) cut under the splash well from inside the bilge area just under the splash well. I found an oscillating tool was the best. You will be laying some fiberglass to complete the job so cut enough away underneath the splash well.

I also learned after I got the wood out, that water has got inside the two raised areas in the bilge. The fuel tank sits on them as do your batteries. Look through my thread to see what I am talking about. Water got in there and in the two sponsons on each side of the motor. I got several gallons out of the sponsons. You will have to open them up once you have the top cap off. Remove the foam and get the water out if you have intrusion.

The only way to know is get your top cap off and the wood out. Once you do that you can see how the wood was glassed at the factory. My pictures should be of some help but our boats are different. So don't expect it to be exactly the same.

If I can help in anyway don't hesitate to reach out.

I think you're on the money with the first suggestion. My stern is straight across and doesn't have the sponson step offset. I'm pretty sure I'm going to find water in the side and bilge areas also. I'll post some more pics later this evening. The adventure continues. Thanks

Latest posts

Back