1990 Johnson 115 4v

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Bowen

Reaction score
Im about to loose my mind. Motor at the beginning of the day runs absolutely fine. Wide open is great everything is great. But when I shut it off and fish for just a few minutes the motor won't idle. It will start but sounds terrible.. like it's bubbling under water ( not the normal sound) and no power... if I let it run for a minute with some throttle... I can sometimes get power back sometimes I can't and it runs terrible the rest of the day. Get it out of the water and it fires right up.. all compression is the same on all cylinders. New plugs, new lines, new fuel filter. But today I noticed a black soot on one side of the motor just under the motor about 1/4 down the shaft. I'm out of ideas

Attachments

• 20240501_213654.jpg
    20240501_213654.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
water in carburetor or in fuel?
New fuel pump and primer bulb has helped alot. But it still acts up when it sets for a minute. I have the carb rebuild kits so I'm gonna find someone to rebuild them. I'm comfortable doing alot with it but when it comes to the carb. Don't think I'm ready for that. Also ordered the manual and it has helped and confused me.

I have a similar issue. My carbs loose prime after sitting a few hours. Runs great from the dock, stop and fish a spot, and then hard crank or won't stay on idle.

I have to repump my fuel bulb to keep fuel in them. Carbs need to be rebuilt.

I would also bleed each bowl to flush water or trash out. Could be both issues: water/trash in bowls and need to re-built.

Just my .02 cents.

I have a similar issue. My carbs loose prime after sitting a few hours. Runs great from the dock, stop and fish a spot, and then hard crank or won't stay on idle.

I would also bleed each bowl to flush water or trash out. Could be both issues: water/trash in bowls and need to re-built.

Just my .02 cents.
That sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with, thanks man. That's where I'm at with it, I've put new pump and lines and filters and primer bulb on it. Trying to escape the carbs but I always knew haha. I'm going to have them rebuilt for sure now. Thanks again

That sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with, thanks man. That's where I'm at with it, I've put new pump and lines and filters and primer bulb on it. Trying to escape the carbs but I always knew haha. I'm going to have them rebuilt for sure now. Thanks again
I feel you on resistance to rebuild them. I found a few vids on how to. Thinking about taking the plunge in the fall.

Just my .02 cents.
do you have a anti siphon valve on your fuel tank?

Latest posts

Back