150 Opti-Max 2 stroke problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis D

Reaction score
My 2011 Opti-Max ran fine for a week. Now the it stalls the motor when I hit the power trim button, AND it will cut out while running @ 4000 RPMS for a split second. Although

I bought it @ BassPro I took it a local Mercury Dearler and he said he tested the alternator and load tested the battery and found nothing wrong. If I watch the Tach it will bounce all over the board and go from 14v charging to negative 10v while I drive in a straigt line @ 4000 RPMS.

The good news is the Tracker Boat is performing flawlessly and Mercury Motor is not which is the opposite of what I was worried about.

First order of business....

-1]Check ALL grounds, and the harness to motor connector {under the cowl}

-2]Is your battery rated 1000CA?

I will check the wires, the battery is the one that came with the boat it is a Interstate and is only a month old. Could they have under sized the battery?

The battery has 1000 Marine Cranking Amps and 800 Cold Cranking Amps

Could not see any loose connections

Took boat out again and the engine votage seems to bounce all over the gauge

Are there any fuses I need to check?

From the description, it sounds as though there might be a dead short. If it were here, the first "test" would be to hook it up to a remote harness. This will eliminate any boat related issues, and the tech can concentrate his efforts through isolation. If it is isolated to the motor, the fusible link, grounds, internal wiring harness, connectors, alternator etc are to be checked.

As far as what you can do.....shake, wiggle, and visually look for chaffed wiring. Inspect the red wire that attaches to the alternator stud, make sure it is tight.

If the motor runs fine on the remote harness, the boat is the problem.....perhaps a screw through a harness.....let us know....

Bob,

Whats the chance it's a faulty rectifier and thats why the Tacho is going crazy? It would be getting bloody hot while running and Dennis could feel the temp of it?

Took the boat out and the engine would cut out for a split second, then pick right back

up. Then it would cut out again for a split second and start running.

Finally I hit the power trim and the motor went dead, would just crank and never fire.

I could not even get the power trim to work, I pulled the fuses on the side of motor

and they were all good, but then at least the power trim worked, but the motor would not start.

"From the description, it sounds as though there might be a dead short. If it were here, the first "test" would be to hook it up to a remote harness. This will eliminate any boat related issues, and the tech can concentrate his efforts through isolation. If it is isolated to the motor, the fusible link, grounds, internal wiring harness, connectors, alternator etc are to be checked.

As far as what you can do.....shake, wiggle, and visually look for chaffed wiring. Inspect the red wire that attaches to the alternator stud, make sure it is tight.

If the motor runs fine on the remote harness, the boat is the problem.....perhaps a screw through a harness.....let us know...."

TTT

Bass Pro found a short on the wire right below the fuse box and a faulty switch on the power trim.

Back