'01 nitro with new 150 merc.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hinton

Reaction score
I'm looking at an '01 Nitro 188 sport with a nearly new 150 hp Merc. (2 hrs). I'm told it was hit in the back by a car. Hence the new engine. They're Asking $15,000, thought I'd offer $13,500. What do yall think? Any suggestions about checking for damage to hull, especially the transom?

Thanks

My biggest fear if it was hit from the back would be damage to the transom, stringer system... and future issues once you get it on the water. I would Check for stress/cracks around the motor mounts (and inside the bildge), around all the boat, and I would be very leary of the boat, unless it realy was just the lower unit (for instance) smashed by the crash and no stress impacts to the transom/boat.

A motor is only good if it A) stays on the boat, and B) the boat stays afloat!! Also what resale issues, insurance issues and/or liability issues will you have it there are any problems once you buy/own it on the water??

Just my 2 cents.

Trep

If it is even worth it, have a Marine Survey done on the boat. My bank required one when I bought my 929. Have to get the trailer checked out also, doesn't take much to throw them out of whack and it is $$$$$$ to fix them. That type of impact to fiberglass overall does very bad things now and forever!! I would pass. There are some unbelievable boat deals out there right now and for that kind of $$, I'd be dealing on a new boat.

TOXIC

It would make a good brush pile or just stay away from it and use those $13,0000 for a good down payment on a new boat.

just my two MEXICAN PESOS

Call me cynical, but I would also run like da wind! Shoot, if I had me a new engine, I wouldn't get rid of it two hours later. There's a reason he's selling that boat, and it ain't just a coincidence that he was ready to sell it at the same time it got hit. Invest your money in a boat you have confidence in and not a "hopefully" good purchase.

JP

Agreed with the great advice from the crew. I would only echo their comments that this sounds real suspicious. Even if the outside looks good, there's no way to tell for sure if there is any hidden (and significant) damage. There are plenty of boats out there especially with the economy the way it is. Be patient and you'll find what's right for you (without the damage!). It may take a while, but keep looking!

I had a boat that was hit from behind and totalled my engine. There were small cracks in the splashwell from the impact, and the ladder was trashed. The trailer bunk supports were bent a little, as was the trailer coupling and the tie down hooks. Some of the trailer damage was missed by the insurance adjustor and I did not notice until a while later. I never had any issues with the boat, I did take it in to a reputable glass shop for a thorough inspection. I'm not quite as scared of this as some of the others above having had one hit myself, but my issue is with the deal itself. For not too much more money you can get a boat with a new Opti on it with a comforting warranty. You'd be far ahead with gas the way it is if you are really going to use this boat. From a little different perspective, I'd keep looking as well.

Latest posts

Back