Yellow Jacket Removal

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Freeman

Reaction score
OK Folks I stumbled unto a underground hornets nest yesterday afternoon and I want to evict them. The way we used to do it on the farm involved gasoline and a match, but this is kind of close to the house so I want to try something else. I waited till after dark last night and hit it with a half can of wasp spray but from what I am being told they attacked one of the dogs from next door this morning?

Any and all suggestions welcome. I only got stung once yesterday and I would like to avoid that if I can help it.

BF

Underground hornets?

Sure your not talkin' Cicada Killers?

Sevin. Thats right the powder. Pick it up at your garden center. We had a bunch of what we call honey bees move in under our porch. Large bunch. Called Iowa State University and they told us to use Sevin. I just used one of those containers that honey comes in from the store, the little honey bear that you squeeze. Any container you can squeeze and shoot the powder out of will work ketchup bottle(small one) etc. I then went out at night and quickly ran up to the area where they were coming in and out. Stuck the end of the bottle in and gave it a blast. This will blast powder all over and they have to walk in it to get out of thier hole. The next day it was amazing to watch them Thay would walk out and have the powder on thier legs. Then they either died right there or when they started to fly never made it 10 feet before they dropped out of the air. In a day they were all dead thousands of them in a 10 foot circle from the porch.

The guy at the garden center told me to pour liquid Diazinon down the hole and to be sure and wait until after dark but I like the powder idea better or maybe use both. I believe if a little pesticide is a good thing then a bunch is that much better.

Whatever they are, hornets or Cicada Killers, I hate them. They will run you right out of your backyard. Very aggressive.:angry:

That Sevin powder was very impressive. As long as they had to walk in it to get airborne they were gonners. I remember we used to put it on our garden plants. I wonder about the safety of that after seeing what it did to those bees. Man it sure knocked them out tho'.

Diazinon would do the trick like nothing else if you can get your hands on some. The EPA banned it for home use a few years back.

Diazinon would do the trick like nothing else if you can get your hands on some. The EPA banned it for home use a few years back.

I've got a stash that I've been hording....come around to the backdoor on a moonless night and knock three times and I'll sell you an ounce. ;)

Me too, when i found out they were banning it i bought a bunch of it. ;)

I used to own a pest control company. If I still hade my state licenses, I'd mix you up a little "Toxic Brew". Diazanon is/was my chemical of choice but you need to mix it with a vaporizing agent like "Vapona". That mix would knock their socks off. Most of them wouldn't even get out of the nest. About a 95% knockdown rate (and when I was applying it, I didn't want to race them to my truck!!:lol:). Of course I could have used Methyl Bromide...Dangerous chit....OR Phostoxin....fancy name for phopherous gas...even more dangerous chit!! That crap put me in the hospital for a week after fumigating 300,000 bushels of corn and not getting out of the bin soon enough...Think German gas chamber!!

I just reminded myself why I sold that company!!:lol::p

Use the Sevin dust.

TOXIC

Dishwashing liquid and water. Put it in a sprayer and hose them down. It will suffocate the little bastages within minutes.

Simple, safe, and easy to get.

Steve

Thanks Guys I have both Sevin and Diazanon, I'll hit it with the Sevin first and then wack am again with the Diazanon tomorrow...... No such thing as over kill for these little buggers..

Thanks Again

BF

Now, are they hornets, or 'ground yellow jackets'? Had those 'ground yellow jackets' in SC, and they were both NASTY and also the devil to get rid of. Tried both water and gasoline (fire), that didn't work.

I moved, so I'm not worrying about them anymore.

Tex

Steve R....if you try to spray these bad boys with dishwashing soap, they'll take it away from you and give you a GI bath with it. :D

I've been around all kinds of nasty little house pests from scorpions and tarantulas to coconut crabs and these SOB's are the meanest I've ever seen. I had never seen them until five or six years ago. They are so big, I thought it was a Hummingbird at first. Plus, they are very aggressive.....one of them will come right at you and before you know it there's five or six and you're running for the house. They're so fast that there's no way to hit them with the wasp spray. That's why the pouring poison down the hole is the only logical offense. We had them for two years in a row and then I haven't seen them the past year or so. I never did get stung, thank goodness.

Sounds like a Mossberg might be the ticket !!:D

I think I'd have a shovel ready to cover the hole after I dumped the poison in.

Steve

We call them Guinea Wasps, or Yellow Jackets. The wife got into them years ago and well let it be said that as she was running away, they attacked and stung the last thing on her that was retreating. Let us say her asset was sore for a few days.

Good luck.

I didn't think Yellow Jackets bourrowed in the ground?

We have the Cicada Killers up here that have a pretty good size hole they dig out.

The females are huge and will have rings around the tail and chase anything around but, are not really noted for stinging.

Are these what your talking about?

250px-Cicada_Killer_Wasp.jpg

I was running for my life every time I saw one but, yup, that looks like the perpetrator. I knew they weren't Yellow Jackets but I didn't know what to call them.

Funny story... The first time we did the pouring the Diazinon down the hole cure, my wife and I put the Diazinon in a small watering can with a long spout. Somehow my wife was designated as the point man in the attack. Problem was, we didn't wait until dark, it was just dusk when we started. I'm right behind her when she starts to pour the stuff down the hole the "killer wasp" starts coming out of the hole. She starts backing up real fast and bumps into me and nearly knocks me down and we both start running around and bumping into each other while trying to get to the back door. We looked like Larry and Moe. :lol:

What they are doing is protecting their home.

If you watch them closely, they will kill every grasshopper or cricket within a 1/4 mile and carry them under their bellies back to the hole for consumption.

Interseting to watch them dig a hole too.:wacko:

They may be big.......... but the MEANEST stinging bug is the White Faced Hornet, unless you count Africanized Bees.

TOXIC

Bubby, I don't think I have any c4 laying around the house, but I will look...LOL

The Sevin powder did help but they either moved to a new hole or already had a 2nd one built (or there was more than one nest?) The one is to close to the house to ignite, but the other one I think is fare game for some coleman fuel and a big bang.... They look like little jap planes as they crash and burn.

BF

Just keep popping that sevin in there. Gotta get enough so they have to walk through it to get to the open air. They probably will have a second hole. When we hit the main route in under the porch they found another opening in the floor through a small gap along the edge. We hit that one with sevin also and by the end of the day they were pretty much all laying very still at the ends of a bunch of little white powder trails.

Ed L.

Bruce,

Give me the GPS on the hole and I'll send something over from Dalgren. Of course we need to allow +/- 15 to 30 feet for error correction. Move your plants and pets indoors.:eek:

Bruce,

Give me the GPS on the hole and I'll send something over from Dalgren. Of course we need to allow +/- 15 to 30 feet for error correction. Move your plants and pets indoors.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH at mikesxpress!!!!!!

Uncle Billy

Latest posts

Back