Yamaha downrates midrange 4 strokes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting item from the current Trailer Boats Magazine:

"Yamaha's F80 and F100 four-stroke outboards have been re-rated at 75 and 90 hp, respectively. The reason for re-rating these outboards, I believe (the author Jim Barron), is that Yamaha is seeking more of a performance image. Giving boaters more power then advertised is one way to enhance that image."

My first 2 questions would be:

- Going forward how does a consumer know how to compare one of these motors to a competitors for performance, fuel consumption, weight and the like?

- How does this effect the MAX HP rating of a smaller boat? If it's rated to only handle 75hp, like my 175, I can now put an actual 80hp that says 75.

What do you guys think? In cars i'm always for the largest/fastest engine (I know the largest is not always the fastest/most HP or torgue) but in a boat where there are HP limits on the hulls, this could lead to interesting insurance and liability questions?

Interesting question to pose to your insurance agent!

T

I thought there was actually a reason for giving an outboard a rating.....but I guess not.

Back