xr6 oil injection question !!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul white2

Reaction score
i have an nx882 w/ 150 xr6. it has the 3 gal. oil tank in back by the batteries. i was reading in the owners manual, plus on the tank lid, says that air can cause oil flow problems. well, if you simply add oil to the tank is it gonna cause probs?? the manual says to take off the cowl and then screw off the cap to the internal tank til the air is sucked out !! is this necessary to do everytime you have to add oil to the tank??? i haven't had the boat in the water enough yet to use a tank yet, but am getting close. so any help would be appreciated. it says can cause damage to engine if air is trapped, so i need to know. thank you.....paul

If you are not hearing an "alarm", leave it alone and add oil to the tank in the BOAT only. Be sure the caps are screwed on hand-tight. Air does not get "sucked" out of the engine-mounted tank, but purged out by oil filling to the top, through the pressure operated system. ;)

Be sure that motor is getting proper oil.I have an 04 xr6 that has already had to be rebuilt with low hours.Bob correct me if im wrong but that motor oiling system was a bad design from the get go.The oil pump has a metal gear on the end of it that rides on what looks like a neoprene or teflon gear that is on the crank.My mouth hit the ground when i saw this.Second was my oil alarm didnt go off till the motor finally blew up.They call this catastrophic oil failure.Top cylinder piston froze up,bent the crank,cracked the block all the way into the water jacket.After replaceing the block,we put a blank off plate on where the oil pump was,and now im mixing my oil so i know its definitly getting oil.I dont want to scare any one but just giveing a heads up.

It is true that the weak link is the phonelic drive gear around the crank. I've done a few "removals" for this reason. Call me biased, but I would rather PRE-MIX. :blink:

Latest posts

Back