XR6 losing prime

• Thread starter Travis Blankenship
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Blankenship

Reaction score
I have an 05 mercury xr6. I have noticed the last couple of times I took it out that of I fish for about 20 mins my boat will loose prime. And it takes a whole before I can get it primed. Its hard to get it to start back and almost smells like it is about to flood. I already replace the bulb. I talked to a guy yesterday with the same motor. He also has trouble with the same think and says that he knows others that have the same problem. Any help would be great. Thanks

Also it's seems like the hotter it gets during the day the worst it gets. Sometimes I don't know if I will be able to get it started back

How do you know it's "loosing prime"? Need some more info on your starting procedure, do you need choke, advance throttle, etc.....

I can go back and the bulb will easy to push. I have to squeeze it several times to make it hard. Then alot of times I have to choke it but sometimes I don't. I smell has every now and then like its flooded. Don't know what the problem is. I thought it was just mine but I had a guy with the exact same motor told me his does the same thing. The hotter it is outside the more it does it.

Why are you going back to squeeze it until it's hard? Are you having a no-start issue if you don't? Need to back up a few steps....

Just as a refresher.....those carb'ed motors have a certain method to start..

IF WARM:

Advance throttle until the throttle butterflys are cracked open slightly. Turn the key, no choke.

IF COLD:

Prime bulb. Advance throttle as in "warm" scenario. Turn key "on", push to choke for about 3-4 seconds, release, start motor. If it falters or lean sneezes, push to choke quickly a couple times, you'll hear it recover.

The one caviat....

Depending on climate and fuel used, ALL engines are prone to vapor lock. A quick prime will purge system, to allow liquid fuel to reach the necessary components.

Normalize when it is warm all I have to do is touch the key and it starts right up. On warmer days here lately it doesn't want to start after tagging for abut 30 mins. I go back to the bulb and it is soft like it lost its prime. I have to squeeze it alot to finally build pressure again. And them it is still hard to start and I smell gas. Don't know what is going on

It runs perfect once I get it started. I may have tap the throttle a couple times the second it starts but once it runs for about 5 secs it runs awesome.

Ok, so it runs good when warm, starts good when cold, just gives you difficulty starting when warm. .... sometimes. The hotter it gets the worse it becomes. When hot, usually a "touch" of the key gets you going.

I doubt it is losing prime. If you had to use choke to start it when it's warm..... its "lean" and you may have a bad "new" primer bulb, since the fuel may be siphoning out back to the tank. I would like you to try a portable tank and hose and see if the problem goes away.....if it doesn't, we may have a classic case of vapor lock. Let's try the remote tank.....

Let's try the remote tank / hose / bulb first.

If it's vapor lock....

Keep the engine as close to horizontal as possible when starting. V-6 Mercs do NOT like to start when tilted. Prime the bulb ONLY a couple {2} times. Advance throttle when starting. You CAN overpower the needle / seat and flood the engine. Try another grade of fuel.

Latest posts

Back