Would it be crazy to run only one battery ??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rizza

Reaction score
Both my cranking battery and my trolling battery are starting to wind down. I have been kicking around the idea of going with all deepcycles. After a few measurements, I can either fit three series 24 sideways, or one big monster 8D.

The 8D has a reserve capicity of 455 minutes. 35 more than the three series 24's, and about 30 lbs lighter.

Right now I run a series 31, 205 rcm and am able to drain it pretty low when I fish the electric only lakes, especially when it's windy.

I couldn't ever imaging draining the 8D down low enough that it wouldn't crank over my 50hp motor.

Am I crazy for not having a cranking battery for backup ??

With the three battery setup, I could always unhook one for a seperate cranker when I go to lakes where I need the outboard.

Steve

I'm no outboard guru but I know a little about motors.

I doubt that your charging system could handle the 8D

Would the bigger battery be harder on the charging system?? I never gave any thought to that. I just assumed that it would be the same.( just take longer) I don't want to burn up a rectifier or vottage regulator.:(

I think I also answered my question as to which setup would be best. With the three battery setup, I could simply unhook the wires connecting one battery if I wanted to seperate a cranking battery.

And fishing electric only lakes, I could hook them back up so all three batteries power my trolling moter.

I should just go buy a new boat........:D

In my little pea brain it would burn up your charging system because it would be going wide open all the time trying to keep the 8D or all three batteries charged. That is why they have one cranking battery to be recharged by the motor and one or two trolling batteries to be charged when you get home and hook them up to a charger.

Someone else with more knowledge can tell you more I am sure.

jdj

It makes sense JD. You hit the key, use a little juice and the motor recharges it, then backs off.

After running a trolling motor for a few hours, the motor would never catch back up again.

I have heard that the smaller motors can burn up the system if the battery got too low.It just didn't sink in untill now.:wacko:

If I go with a cranking battery, and two series 24 trolling batteries. That would give me a reserve capicity of 280,,,up from 205.

I guess I'll have to settle for what I can get. I was trying to stuff 10lbs of %$#@ in a 5lb can.:blink:

Don't hook a deep cell up to your outboard, it will fry the battery in no time.

To specifically answer your question - yes, you would be crazy to run just one battery.

The boat and the trolling motor should be run from separate systems. They have different needs.

Also, if one battery does go south on the water, you have another that you can move as needed.

Tex

Steve I got 3 batteries in my PT 17. I am not good with group sizes but my cranking is a deep cycle, of the the smaller group. My other two are the larger group size and deep cycle and one runs electronics and my live well and the other is my trolling motor. I use a Guest charger to charge all three at the same time, 15amp per bank, when I get home so they are getting a real quick charge. I have never had any problems with charging them or any other malfunctions, just make sure you keep water in them. The reason I went to 3 batteries was just like you I would drain my trolling battery so I liked the idea of having a "spare". Oh yeah mine is a 12 volt system also. Maybe someday I will bump up and go 24 volt. Hope this helps.

Donnie

Thanks Donnie,

There isn't much room for batteries in my boat. My battery compartment is around 12 x 22.

I'm going to go with three deepcycles. When I fish the electric only lakes I can just hook up a jumper to the third (cranking ) battery, and use all three for thr trolling motor.

BTW....did you hear Rolling Rock has been sold to Budweiser ? The bought it just for the recipe and shut down the brewery.:(

Steve

WHAT!!!! No more RR??? Dude you gotta be kidding?? Please say it aint so!!

Donnie

You can still get it. Only it will be made by Bud at their brewery, instead of being made in Latrobe.

Alot of people are losing good jobs at the brewery. Hopefully somebody will buy it and keep it running. Before long we won't have any local breweries left.

Steve

Latest posts

Back