winterizing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Flattem

Reaction score
I had my Merc 60hp winterized recently...it cost a lot of money...I could do probably everything the shop did, except... they ran antifreeze through the water intake so there is no water in the engine. It is sitting outside in 4 degree temp (warm one today).

Any ideas on how to run the antifreeze myself...my only thought is to remove the prop and run the motor in a container of antifreeze (no splash).

thanks

I never run antifreeze through my motors here in virgina, just let it drain completly in the down position, i never had a problem in 13 years.

mike

Steve,

I pay my dealer to winterize my boat and I don't know how they get the anti-freeze in the motor. West Marine sells winterizing kits, but I never paid much attention to them yet! I might after my boat is off warranty. What does winerizing cost in Minnesota? I pay around $100 for my 150hp XR6. They also lube everything including the lower unit gear oil.

Mike, do you really get winter in Virginia?? I have heard that the Merc motors will completely drain when vertical, but I don't take any chances living in VT.

Bob G.

yes sometimes we get winter in virginia, last year we had 3 ft of snow and it did not get above freezing for 16 days in one stretch, it only takes one night of freezing temps to freeze a motor, (my friends 200 froze and broke his lower unit last week)

mike

i live in Northern New York we get some pretty cold winters 20 below. I have my motor winterized by dealer every year, he never put anti-freeze in engine. Just make sure motor is trimed all the way down. I ve never had a problem in all the years ive had my boats.

the bill for winterizing was $130...this was the first I had heard of antifreeae...

question...does all of the water drain our of the passages in the sleeves of the motor...is there any residual that might freeze and expand?

winter here is brutal...sometimes it doesn't get above 0 for 16 days...as low as -33...

on top of that my boat cover can't handle the snow...i have to shovel (OK, use a broom) the snow off (14") so far

and no, I don't ice fish...I don't drink that much

Back