Windshields do break

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedog978

Reaction score
Windshields do break!

Another day on the water and the fish weren't cooperating. To make matters worse, on one of my casts with a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait I heard a perplaxing sound. Glass shattering! I turned around to see those small bits of glass all over the boat. I had hit the center (flat piece) of tempered safety glass in the center of the walk-thru windshield on my backswing. The one consoling thing was that it was that 21" x 15 1/2" flat panel in it's own frame and not either of the larger curved pieces.

I knocked all of the rest of it out of the frame as I had a decent run back to the ramp I had put in at and didn't want shards of flying glass pieces pelting me when doing that. When I got home I checked with insurance company to see what they might do. I'm covered but, I think I can get the piece I need to replace it for less than the $250.00 deductible. So, after hooking the charger to the TM battery, I began shop vacuuming the glass up. I removed all the gaskets from the frame and cleaned the glass out that was still in there too. Tomorrow I'll be calling the local auto glass company to see what it will cost for the glass I need. Simple fix once I have that.

And yes, I do feel foolish about doing that but, wondering if I am the only one? :unsure:

Nah bro', you ain't alone. I didn't break anything, but figured I almost got my legs broke. Went fishing with a buddy and his new Ranger boat. Was fishing in the back and smacked his cowling twice with a 1/2 oz jig!:angry: Normally fishing the front of my boat, fishing in the back is a whole different story, especially with a big a** 200 Merc in the way. I checked each time and didn't see any dings/scratches, but still felt like an idiot:unsure: Yours sounds like an easy fix and I would think you could get that piece of glass for under $100.00, shoot, I got my truck windshield for less than $200 and that was with the guy installing it. Good Luck.

JP

Well I have killed 1 windshield, 1 phone and I can't tell you how many crankbaits with my back cast. It's part of life on the water.

BF

Believe me, I have had clients hit everything in my boat, windshield, motor cowling, TM, and the most fragile thing.....ME!!:lol: Have you given any thought to replacing it with plexi instead of glass?

TOXIC

Toxic,

Yes, as a matter fact I think I am going to do that. I have had plexi cut at the local hardware store for several things around the house. It's cheap and easy to work with. Also just today I found products available to spray plexi with and make them UV protecting and anti-fogging.

By the way, the glass dealer says $60.00 and a two week wait for delivery. The plexi should be @ $15.00 cut and not break again if I hit it.

It was nice reading that I am not the only one banging the lure on boat parts.

Get yourself some Plast-X; it will keep that plexi-pane looking good. Now, don't go simulating years of wear with a power sander, because Plast-X won't fix that, but normal wear and tear, yeah buddy.

If I had to make a list of things i broke while fishing on me, the boat, gear etc. It would be a long long list. Pleasure has it's pains. Kinda like marriage.

fatrap

OK,

I went plexiglass. It turned out well, I think. Total cost $15.00 and 20 minutes to put it in.

Her's a pc:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh245/Firedog978/new005.jpg

Latest posts

Back