Where to go on Vacation

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay. Need to plan a get-a-way for myself and the wife for sometime this year. I have plenty of vacation time, and the wife isn't working since we moved. So we can go for 7-10 days if it's a good destination.

Been to the Smokies; New River; Bar Harbor; Texas (of course). Lived on the West Coast, so CA is not of interest. Been to the Pacific NW several times.

If it was going to be you and the wife (no kids; relatives and such), where would you go? Not particularly looking for a fishing outing, but something 'nice'.

Tex

Come to Iowa. Fishing sucks, lots of corn and soybeans, a good chance of totaling your car with a 200 plus pound deer wandering in front of you.

You'll be so grateful for where you live you'll never trash it.

All kidding aside. Try the Black Hills of South Dakota it's great.

fatrap

I've always wanted to go to New York City. Go to Yankee Stadium, see a Broadway show, see Letterman, ride the subway, eat a hot dog off of a cart, Central Park, Grand Central, Empire State Building, NY style pizza, and most of all visit the World Trade Center Memorial. In other words do the whole tourist thing in the greatest city in the world. That's what I'd like to do.

Harpo

Alaska would be my first choice. I have been to Texas and this is the only other country I want to visit..:) A cruise would fit right into your time limit.

BF

Depends on what you like to do.........For night life, Miami is tough to beat, and the food is really different. Nashville is pretty good, music is great and people are friendly (it is better when it is not winter time). Key West, you can do a lot or relax, or both. Destin/Ft Walton is a great place to just hang out (especially in the fall) and spend a week at the beack (it is absolutely gorgeous), and the charters are pretty good too (the fishing on the Okaloosa Island pier at times is good-usually spring and fall). If you haven't done DC, granted the city ain't that great, but there really is a lot to see there too, (I need to go back there myself). I haven't been to Yellowstone, and that trip is on my list. If you want to leave the US, Cancun is not all about partying like you see on TV, (in the middle of the summer it gets really hot), and you can take in the Mayan ruins at Chitzen Itza 2.5 hrs away. Punta Cana in the DR is pretty decent too.

Good question-

Ive been to Florida and all of their hot spots-Key West, Daytona, Miami, Okechobee. Been to Yellowstone, the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Grand Canyon, Great Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Birmingham, New Orleans and I live in the Washington, DC area, sooooooooooooooo if I had to pick a new spot it would be Alaska-before it melts.

Been to New York City, Baltimore and Philadelphia-WILL NEVER GO THESE AGAIN !

A well-kept secret that not many people talk about is Utah. I was stationed outside of Salt Lake City for 3 years and Utah is awesome; it has it all!! Hunting, Fishing, Snow Skiing, Hiking Camping, etc. You name it, they have it. And you can't beat the beautiful mountain-scape.

Park City Utah would be a great place to go for you and the wife. Lots of stuff to do.

Cass from TN

NW MI...Traverse City is AWESOME....and you're within 2hr drive to the Big Mac Bridge and Mackinac Island,....outstanding area and the most unbelievable turquoise colored bass filled lakes you'll ever see!!! It's KVD's "favorite" place to fish and he's filmed several of his videos and Strike King videos up there.....it's unreal!! :blink::rolleyes:

I'm going up there as soon as my boat gets here!!:wub:

Here's a typical summer home of "some" of the people who live on Sutton's Bay....Madonna has a place in this "gated community"...but she doesn't even fish so she doesn't realize what a REAL GEM she has at her door step!!!!! LOL A lot of "celebs" have places up there and they like it 'cuz they "blend in" with all the tourists and nobody recognizes them.....it's a GREAT place to visit....lots of cool shops, restaurants, venues, minor league baseball, etc..etc....there's nothing boring about NW. Mi.:rolleyes:

housesgrntravbay.jpg

Mac nailed it. Go in the early fall (sept/oct) the views, colors, lakes, fishing, shops, tourist traps, etc. are hard to beat.

Little Travers Bay, Grand Traverse Bay, Lake Charlevoix, Elk Lake, Torch Lake, Leelanau, Green, Duck, etc. there are more BIG smallie lakes up there than you can fish in a year.

Mini

Thanks all. Actually, I have given some thought into Michigan. Did a little surfing, yesterday. Our preference is to try and go while school is in session, to cut down on the 'traffic'.

Did NYC years ago. I would like to go back to visit Ellis Island; 9/11 Memorial and the Planetarium - but other than that . . . .

We are not beach people, so I don't think that's going to happen.

Of course, another option is to plan a trip to visit the far East, and the Trepper Gang - once they get over there!

Thanks. Certainly gives some ideas to think about. :D

Tex

Sept. up here IS incredible!! Still have summer weather,....and the kids are back in school!! You would deffinitely have lighter traffic up in the TC area too.......that's a perfect time to come up!!

We are going on an Alaskan cruise August 31st thru Sept 11. It's something we've wanted to do for a long time. We are celebrating paying off our house, our 25th anniversary, and my wife's 5oth birthday. Don't tell her I posted that. :eek::D

Gene

Tex, another place to think about. The NH lakes reigon. Its very nice up there in the late summer and fall. The weatheer is great, nice cool mountian air, the lakes are gin clear natural lakes. There a lot to see and do up there. Theres the mount washington railway, Lake Winnipesaukee tours, Squam lake tours, polar caves, lots of biking trails, plaxces to canoe and kayak etc. Theres lots of little shops and things and mom and pop places to stay. Its very small town up there and in the fall with the weather and color its a very nice place to visit. Look up Wolfeboro, Meredih, Laconia, and Holderness NH for info on the general area. Its right on the edge of the White Mountian National Forest.

If you decide to come up this way let me know, we can plan some fishing. Id be more then happy to take you out to get some nice fat fall smallies.

I do not know if NASA is launching anything his year but I always wanted to go down for a big launch. I hear the power of a big rocket on lift off is incredible.

Jim, thanks. That's a great suggestion.

We went up to Bar Harbour some years ago, and wished that we would have had more time to see some of the other NE areas. I'll definitely take a look at those areas. Really enjoyed it when we were up there.

Tex

Ever see Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills, Bad Lands, and Devils Tower? AWESOME

fatrap

Hard to beat DC if you want history(Monteciello/Mt. Vernon/Ford Theatre), museums (Smithsonian), memorials...to many to mention, and GREAT fishing on the Potomac. Most all of the museums are free. There is the brand spankin new Air and space museum, NASA and the list goes on.

Can you tell I've guided in DC as well as fishing!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

If it's fishing you want why not book El Salto. Heard they have a nice spa for the misses.