First post - new to the forum

• Thread starter Ed Haugh [URL]https://picasaweb.google.com/1109922
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Haugh

Reaction score
For my first post, I would like to know what prop is the best. Only kidding. :p

Seriously though. I am finally the proud owner of a 1999 Nitro 185 Sport with 150 Merc out back. I picked it up about a month ago and have been reading the forum without posting for longer than that. What a great forum!

We managed to get on the water twice so far to test the boat and look forward to MANY fishing / skiing trips next year.

Is anyone on the forum from the Chicagoland area?

I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. I'll keep reading before I ask a question that's been asked 100 times before. Unless that question is this one - Has anyone installed another roller on the trailer to prevent the bow from wanting to go under the wynch when taking out of the water? The ramps were relatively steep, but I'm still surprised there isn't another roller in front of the bunks. Thanks.

Edit: Added URL to photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/110992241692461420856/Nitro#

Welcome. I'm from Chicagoland. Try not backing your trailer in so deep and that should solve your problem.

Welcome to the forum. I have the same boat in model year 2000 with a 150hp Merc. Ask away, I'll tell ya worked for me.

Welcome to the forum! Best bunch of guys (and gal) anywhere. Good one on the prop selection.....you will do well here :D

Welcome from another C hicagoland member (Elgin, IL). Try loading it with various "depths" of the trailer into the water at the ramp. There will be some change based on the angle of the ramp, but, eventually you will get it. Find a place to "practice" that won't interfere with others use of the ramp...some nice fall weekday afternoon.

Ed,

Welcome to the site. Lots of good info on here. Better than most of the sites out there.. Def sounds as if your backing in a little too far. I use my fenders and bottom bunk boards to determine how far I go back.

Max

Welcome, Welcome! Im out here in the Chicagoland area, Plainfield to be exact. Youre in the right place for any help/questions that you may have. Everyone here is great! Welcome again and congrats on the Nitro!!!!

ENJOY and with all these Chicagoland fellas/ladies here, when the heck are we setting up a NITRO OWNERS DAY OUT somewhere?????????????????????????????

I am in Mokena...

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try that next time out.

Speaking of which, where do you Chicagoland folks go for a quick Sat or Sun trip?

We hit the Illinois River (Morris) and Kankakee River (Wilmington) so far, for testing mostly. Our next trip will be fishing at Heidecke.

Ed,

After you get a little more confidence I can suggest a trip to the 95th Street launch in Chicago to fish the lakefront for smallies... wanna do a trip there next June let me know and I will show you around... If it is calm you can bed fish all up and down the lakefront. If it is rough you can fish the Cal-Sag and Lake Calumet (very interesting "industrial" setting.

LaSalle and Heidecke are good for where you are in Mokena. For a two day/overnight you can do all of the southyern lakes, Shelbyville, Rend, etc... Clinton is also possible for you... And, straight out Rt 80 to the Mississippi River... fabulous bass water from the Quad Cities north to above LaCrosse, WI.

Welcome Ed, from Elk Grove here.

The Fox chain might be quite a hike for you, besides being crowded at times, but I also enjoy lazy days on Loon lake in Antioch, and white bass and catfish on the Fox river up that way.

Also love catfishing at Braidwood, and Heidecke has a good mixed bag.

Greg, I'd like to pick your brain some time, about Cal Sag and Lake Calumet, where to launch, etc. (I'm always looking for new places to fish within an hour or two from Elk Grv.) We're close to the east end of the Elgin-O'Hare expy.

Also, my oldest son lives in Elgin, close to something called the "Boy Scout launch", and has been bugging me to borrow my boat for a few days. Any info you might have on that launch? Or how much of the river around there would be accessible for a 16 ft Tracker Pro deep V? Thanks.

Sorry to sidetrack there Ed, Welcome to the best boating/fishing forum around! Mike

p.s.- Don't forget to check out the grab bag section of this site.

Latest posts

Back