Wheel Bearing Cover - Tim K., can you help?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott H.

Reaction score
Tim, I went to NAPA like you said looking for these $6 caps and they had no idea what I was talking about.. What do the caps look like that you got? Black, silver? Do they snap into the hub, or do they go over the entire thing? Are they aluminum, plastic, rubber?? Do you remember what size you got?

Those are probably EZ lube covers which are rubber and can get at any marine store.

These are the simple metal versions as an example [at the link]. Let your fingers do the walking as you call around to NAPA, O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Bass Pro, etc. You want a "dust cover" for your trailer hub. Measure the inside of the hub; that is where the lower portion of the dust cover [below the lip in the picture] will slide in.
http://www.iboats.com/Grease_dust_C...10685172--session_id.474953254--view_id.40533

Is this what your looking for ?

82_list_image.jpg

See, I'm looking for the rubber covers.. Unless it's better to go with the actual dust cover that snaps in. Are the EZ Lube covers good?

What system do you have? Those are rubber and they just keep grease from slinging all over your wheels. I bought a few this past summer at a Flea Market of all places.

at the moment, I don't have anything on my hubs. apparently though, I have some kind of bearing saver on there already, at least that what my neighbor was saying they are. Either way, when I top off the hub's with grease in the spring and take a trip, there's usually grease all over the rims, looks terrible. So that's why I'm think those rubber caps are all I need.. I just gotta find them. I've been to an autozone, advanced auto, O'riley, and a small NAPA store. can't find em!

there we go.. that link shows the Buddy Bra - that's what I'm looking for. I've got the single axle trailer (2002) - I measured it last night and the hub measured about 3" across, if I find a place that sells these, I'm guessing the size I'll need may be a bit smaller than 3" huh?

For example, on that boatersoutlet.com link, they have the buddy bra, I think I'd need the 23b model since it's the closest to 3" across.. That'd be right wouldn't it?

I don't know how much stretch they have; 2.727 is a little less than 2 3/4 inches. How much smaller than 3 inches is your bearing "buddy?" Now, if you putz around the Internet [bless Al Gore] you will find another bearing saver [and dust caps] that may be your exact model. You could call the 800 number at the link and ask them if it would fit.

WOW! I go to the doctor and look what happens. I bought the whole thing. Little aluminum shells with the rubber dust covers. The shells ( for a lack of better terms) snap into the hub and the dust covers go into the shells. I boghut them that way because my old ones had taken a beating and these looked better. They are differnet than the link that Marty provided. Thgey are more like a cover and a rubber cap like TEE put the picture of on here. If I get a chance after lunch I will go out and take a picture. I got them at NAPA in a two pack.

Tim

Well, you shouldn't go to the doctor and allow us to wander around in the desert trying to figure out what kind of bearing saver Snooter is trying to cover.

WTH...try to help a guy and it sends his buddy to the doctor!:lol:

I hear that "WTH" and raise you another-:rolleyes:.

Tim's solution isn't going to work unless Snooter takes off the bearing saver.

I can hardly wait to see the final answer.

Ha! this is to funny.. I'm actaully going to another, bigger, NAPA store here in about 45 minutes, right after I leave a doctor appt.!! :lol:

I'm hoping they have the darn things.

What Tee shows in his picture is an EZ lube cover and I personally think it's the best there is!.. Bearing Buddies are also good and work pretty well until they get stolen while you're out on the lake or the hub swells and you throw the Bearing Buddy of of your trailer.:eek: I have had them both, thrown off and stolen. I had one set that I had to epoxy in and they worked better than any other Bearing Buddy I ever had. That's the pair that got stolen.:huh:

I tore up some of the rubber on one EZ Lube and to get it replaced I called a trailer maker that's business was about 1/2 mile from me. They only came in pairs but the cost was ridiculously low, and you will not get grease thrown all over your wheels and tires or anything else. Good Luck!

Uncle Billy

Keep them away from IMHO and they can't suck it-:wacko::wacko:.

Ok.. I hit another NAPA, advanced auto, and orileys last night.. none had the caps. So, im heading to a marine shop tonight! probably should have just done this in the first place.

If you are successful I will certainly issue a well-earned "I told you so!"

Well I went to the Doctor to be checked fo "swimmers". If you rememmber my post about biting the bullet you will know what I mean. Dr. said everything was good and the world should be safe from more little Kingsters running around:lol::lol:.

Now, I do have the EZ Lube hubs and I bought them at the local NAPA and Marty can attest that Council Grove isn't that big and lucky to have a parts store. I know that they order all their trailer parts from a trailer supply place( I know because I asked) and would think that any parts store worth rheir salt coud do the same thing. I can't believe that in Deeees Moines that they can't find them or have them or know what you are trying to find. I've been there and the place is like frozen for half the year,I think you gave them parts boys something to look for all winter Snooter!!:lol::lol:

If you have the EZ Lubes and can't find what you need, e-mail me and I will have my local boys get ya some. Heck I think they had 4-5 pair when I bought mine.

Tim

Some of that is TMI at every level Tim! I must say that Council Grove is pretty much a hole in the wall for most states; for Kansas though, and as a town pretty much out on the prairie, it is huuuuuge!!! You can tell that it was a booming place back in the day with plenty of parking spots for Conestoga wagons and herds of beef.

My brother-in-law is a big wig with NAPA, so I'll be reporting that the NAPA stores in Des Moines are on their arses. i will mention Snooter so that he gets all the credit for dropping this dime--:lol::wacko::lol::wacko::lol:

Try Champion Trailer Parts Supply for all of your needs.

I encourage everyone to switch to EZ lube/Spindle lube axles. Bearing buddies are not needed on these.

http://www.championtrailers.com/

Latest posts

Back