What's Up with my screen

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Britt

Reaction score
Dude,

Why is my screen all blue with the red letters? It's so blue that I can hardly see. For all you computer gurus, is there anything that can be done or any explanation to the problem?

One of 2 things possible. Either the monitor is bador your video card is bad.

First thing I would do is reboot. If the problem persists the I would try a known good monitor (I know most people don't have a extra monitor lying around, see if you can borrow one or something.) If problem still persists try reinstalling drivers for video card. Finally, if the problem still persists swap out the video card. Of course make sure all connections are good and there are no bent pins on the monitor plug.

Let us know how it goes.

Damuniz

OK..... So the "spare monitor" gets me to asking a question.....

One of these days, I'm going to have to replace my 1995-vintage, 200 mhz, 1.95 GB Compaq Presario that is still running on Windows '95. CD-Read only. Dial-up connection. I think I paid about $1,500 for it back then - plus software upgrades!

Will I save any $$ by just getting the CPU (Is that the right term?) and not a monitor? Or do all the "basic/affordable" ones just come pre-packaged as complete units?

And how-in-the-world will I transfer all the "stuff" I've got in memory????????

me!

Is it all blue or is it purple/blue around the edges working its way in toward the center? If that's it, there's a good possibility that it's just a loose cable connection or a dirty connection. I would just disconnect then reconnect the cable ends first to see if that does it. Otherwise, back to what damuniz said.

Tony, they guys hit it on the head. Check the connection first then try a different monitor if you can. If you recently disconected the monitor check and make sure you didnt bend any of the pins in the connector as well, they bend easily.

me, in some cases you can buy just the computer and not have to package it with a monitor. It all depends on what you are looking for and what you want to spend. The options are really endless. You will just have to do some shopping and find what you want. They really build these machines to be disposable these days thats why they are so cheap. Wahtever you get just make sure it has some ram memory in it. Most come with 256 meg of ram, get it upgraded to 512, ram is cheap and windows xp will run much better with the extra ram. As far as moving the data theres ways to do it. If you have something like a zip drive you can just copy it there and more it or you coult take the hard drive out of the old pc and put it in the new one and copy it. you could also put network cards in both machines and setup a home network and copy it over. The zip drive is the easiest option by far. If you have any questions let me know, im more then happy to help.

Thanks, Jim! It'll be a while - I hope. When I do get around to it, my needs will be pretty simple - just about the most basic of machines will do the trick.

me! - Agree with Jim - Right now for $400 or less you can get a realy good basic machine with a 17 inch monitor and color printer. Day after Thanksgiving Best Buy had one for $200 for the whole thing!

Besides memory, yes 512 is a good investment for XP, you will also have to decide if you want the DVD drive. With the exception of games that come with movie DVDs these day's I do not use my DVD drive. And for Movies your better off getting one of the cheap DVD players always available these days at $39.99 or less depending on sale.

When you're ready, there are a HOST of techie's just waiting to help you!

It's got to be something else... The screen is white when I first log on to the main page, but when I get to the members section it's all blue... and it's not only my home computer, but it also is blue at my computer at work. I thought you guys might have upgraded the board for it to do this. What ever it is I can't see anything too well. (Just to tick me off, all this stuff that I'm typing right now is with a white background and black lettering.) What's the deal???

Tony, here is a link to a screen shot of my screen (from this site). You should see Red letter title on top left. The left section is gray background with blue letters. The right section is white background with blue letters from post, and black letters for bottom "reply" section. This is how mine has always been, and it has not changed. Can you screen shot yours: press Alt-PrntScrn keys, paste into paintbrush program, save it as a jpg filetype, then post it to your library. The jpg file format is much smaller and will upload quicker.
http://www.zjstech.net/~library/9193/NTOWSscr1.JPG

me!, My son Andy saved $500 he made mowing, birthday, and not buying every Nintendo game and bought a sweeeet little computer without the monitor. It's a clone, which is a computer made from parts off the shelf. This can be a risky way to buy if the person asembling the parts doesn't know what he is doing or is not reputable. He got a one year warranty which he can extend to 2 years for $100. I can't beleive the speeds these computer are running now. His is 2.4 Ghz which is nowhere near as fast as you can get.

Tony, Have you tried banging on it and cursing real loud? Usually works for me.

Harpo

Harpo and Michael -

Yeah, aren't the speeds awesome!

I bought my first computer in either '91 or '92. It was a laptop and was about 4" thick! It ran at the blinding speed of 20 hz! Windows hadn't been invented yet.

The computer I have now was the third I bought in about 5 years. At the time, I was using it for a lot of business applications - worked out of my home. I had figured that I was going to have to buy a new computer every two years just to keep pace with software requirements.

Now..... All I use it for is word processing and to visit this site! What more do I need! (But how long will it last.....)

me!

Latest posts

Back