What's a Tin Guy to do!!!! Doesn't Make sense to me...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK - If my luck and finances hold up in about 2 years i'm going to replace my PC 175. What I realy want is a 18-19ft fish/ski that will hold at least 7-8 people and get me into the low 50's mph. Now, i'd REALY like to keep in the Tracker brand family and what I've found (if nothing else changes by then) that Glass is actualy CHEAPER!!!! So i've compared on the web the appropriate boats from the Tracker/nitro/Tahoe brands. Assuming 50mph as a clip level, and at least 7 folks (I included the 185 Sport that only holds 6 people since I can NOT afford the 288!!), and trying to stay below $20K --- Here is what I found. All prices w/OUT Tax, Tag, Prep... for an apples-2-apples comparison. and all include standard painted trailer. Oh, and due to not getting a different tow vehicle, need to keep package weight below 3000 lbs (van can do 3500 lbs, but want to be on safe side before gas and gear!). And assuming a new boat purchase, i'll probably look for a 1-2 yearold to save depreciation, but for comparison...

Targa 18 Sport w/150 XR6, holds 7 people - $21,935 top end 53-54mph. Length 18ft??

Nitro 185 Sport w/ 125 hp, holds 6 people - $18,805 top end 49-51mph. Length 18ft??

Tahoe Q4 SF w/4.3ltr 190hp V-6 I/O, holds 7 people, - $17,975 top end 52-53mph. Length 19ft 10 inch

So, I LOVE The Targa 18 sport but MAN $4,000 MORE then the Q4 SF, MAN!!! Ok so you're talking outboard vs. IO and a fishing boat outfitted for crusing (Targa) vs. the cruise boat outfitted for fishing (Q4), but SOMEONE tell me where the "Aluminium is cheaper" is in this picture!!

Trep - Yup Tin brothers, its still 2 years away at least, so I have time to figure this out!!! LOL

SAVE ME bill!!!! LOL

I could NOT believe the price difference!! I know, the Targa and 185 Sport are more fishing oriented and have more fishing features, and more tackle storage (and rod). BUT MAN, for $20k out the door I get an ALMOST 20ft boat that caries my family and friends to fish, ski, cruise and hit the low 50s!!! MAN what a bargain!!

In 2 years, you can buy mine and save alot of money. I seem to have all the kinks worked out for ya.

I don;t think I can save you Michael:) You obviously enjoy doing things with Becca and the boys so that boat just might be the right one for you..

I can't imagine having that many people in a boat or pulling skiers or tubing so it wouldn;t be right for me.

So, the thing to do is buy the Tahoe for family fun AND buy Toxic's boat for fishing:)

Bill

Trep...

That is the direction I am headed... Since I am more or less "retiring" from the tournaments next year (down to something like 7 or 8) I am considering a more "grandchild friendly" boat. It looks like a Nitro 288 for me... I have a seruious tow vehicle and always will!

Trep,

Whatever you do, max out the horsepower...you won't regret it. If you put 6 or 7 people in any of those boats and try to tube or ski, a small motor will be crying!! The 185 Sport is 18ft and will do 58mph (GPS) with a 150hp Merc XR6. You might as well get a Chevy or GMC Suburban while you're at it if you want haul 7 people to the ramp and tow the boat.

If you see the tech stocks rise anytime in the future, call me and I might be selling my boat:

2000 Nitro Sport 185

Merc XR6 - 150hp

Lowrance x75 on the bow

Lowrance x71 at the console

MG 67# 24v trolling motor

Spare tire, Tech 5 keelguard and boat buckles too!

It is most likely that Teri will be selling hers before me, but ya never know!!!

Bob G.

Oh my God,

The end of an era!!! JK, bro... You've got to do what you've got to do.

Trep, I hate to be losing a fellow Tin-Man, but if you're looking for a fish and ski, I think, until the Av/Tundra tech moves on, you've got to go fiber. Hehe, I've been there (that two years time frame of yours is not going to stand! LoL...) In two years, our advice will be worthless. Glass, at the moment, has the edge on a family friendly ride. If you're long-term on you're rig, and regularly want a fishing buddy around, and occasionally the tube ride, then maybe get the Targa. If you want the family asking "When are we taking the boat out", you better think long and hard about going with the Tahoe. Different boats, for different purposes.

--Casey

Avalanche SC

Trep, the major price factor is the outboard vs. the inboard.

Look at the retail prices of outboard engines. They are twice what an inboard costs. Economy of scale, to some extent.

Tahoe baby..might sniff the new Q6 out it is a bigger Q4 and they have a fish ski model like the Q4 also.

By then Trepster they'll have a better improved TIN model for ya':) Somethin' with ALL the bells and whistles and maybe more:) The next few years is gonna' be a race to the top with all the competition that's catchin' up..G3 is close behind if they can get their prices down a little:)

Teri and Bob G. - The problem with the 185 (or 188 Sport) is for the same price with the 125 hp it only seats 6 and is over a foot shorter then the Q4! Bank for the Buck the Q4 wins over the 185 sport. As I said, yes, the 185 sport is more fishing oriented but I fish mostly myself a few times a month and all summer have the kids/family, so we'll see.

As I said 2 years to go, but I just didn't understand the price different! Now Rich's input on the cost of the motors (that OBs are more expensive then I/O's) is interesting...

Casey and TEE - I think I remember last year (2003) they made a Tundra 18 sport, they don't know at least according to the website, but even that still had the front livewell where you could not put 2 folks infront of the walk/thru windshield.

Trep

Dang, I guess I gotta fly to Georgia for a tin intervention. Now where did I put the jumper cables and fiberglass whumpin stick....

The tahoes are nice. I am too hard on my boats to go glass. I am thinking of moving up to stainless...

Rich D

Rich - I understand, i'd have to give up my trips to the Hooch for trout, or keep an eye out for a canoe. All y'all have 2 years to help me here!!!

I know the Targa 18 is SOLID and heavy that's why it needs a 150 to push into the 50's. Now maybe if all the naysayers about Tracker and their re-sale value holds true (never does for me) I can find a 2 yearold 150hp Targa 18 sport around $15,000!!!!

Trep, the only thing to keep in mind on the q4 is thats way more "ski" then "fish". My father has a 4 Winns freedom 180 and its almost a carbon copy of the q4. I have fished in it a few times and its not the greatest layout for fishing. it sits too high off the water, gets really thrown around by the wind and it also has zero skinny water ability. when him and i go fishing we never take his boat anymore unless we are going in salt where it actually isnt too bad but for freshwater its not the greatest. If fishing it even at all a priority i would get the nitro or targa over the tahoe.

I got my Bro-in-law a Targa 18 SC in 1998 and hung a Merc 150EFI on the back. Turning a Trophy 24 it'll do low 60's GPS with me and him plus gear in the boat. (He's a tiny little fella like me to boot! LOL!) It'll also snatch me up on ski's fast enough to cause whiplash, with him driving and both our wives plus a kid or two on board. It fishes well and is an ideal troller.

The Q-series are great boats, however the fish-n-ski's are more "ski-n-fish's". Full-time emphasis on cruising, part-time for fishing. What'll you do the most of?

The Targa is one AWESOME utility rig. A real do-all boat. Plus, you ARE King Tin!!

(P.S. Down here we winterize our outboards by trimming it down all the way when storing. The inboards usually come see us for a visit before winter and again in the Spring with no use in between. Unless you want to pull the hoses/freeze plugs and evacuate the block after/before each winter use around a freeze.)

Champion makes a sweet fish-n-ski.Looks like it leans pretty good towards the fish side.

With a 300 on the back it should flyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Uh Steve - Champion is NOT a Tracker Marine Product, so I think NOT!!!!!

Dan J - I'd LOVE a Targa 18 Sport with a 150 EFI but at a base price (before Frieght, rigging and extra's) of $24,055 MAN that is WAY too expensive for this fisherman!!! Now if that Bro-n-law is interested in SELLING that Targa in the low Teens' we need to talk!!!

Patt - But the PRICE my man, the PRICE!!! Heck Bob G's 185 Sport with a 150 XR6 $20,705 thats WAY rich for my goal of $20k or under out the door!! Yes the Q4 SF is more Cruise/Ski then Fish, but I don't fish Tourneys and mostly take the family out, fish with Eli and his buddies, and 1-2 times a month fish my self. I also want a decent Salt Water boat. Yes i'd LOVE a Nitro Bay 2200 VL with a 200 Opti Saltwater, but that is WAY over budget at $28,040!!!

So, 2 years to go or if I win HUGE in Vegas in 3 weeks for my birthday, I gotta figure this out...

Come on Trep get a Reatta..BWHAHAHAHHHAHAH>>>JR

JR - Uh, Tracker Marine doesn't make a Reatta?? So, I don't think so!!!

One thing that has always surprised me: That manufacturers don't put more effort into conversion features for Fish and Skis.

Cajun had a model with a folding rear deck. In "ski" mode, the folding portion of the deck lay on top of the rear ski (small) deck. But in fish mode, that deck folded over to cover the rear seats and make a much larger rear deck.

That, plus a little more fishing savvy layout of the front deck, and you've got a much more fishing friendly version of a fish and ski.

Rich - I remember you and I talking about the new Fisher model with the rear deck that converts to a bench seat. Though for me, the rear deck of the Q4 (for instance) is more then big enough compared to my PC 175 rear deck. Granted it's a I/O so there is also a full width swim platorm to fish off of too, or to get a fish in the boat by hand. I'm more interested in them doing more up front on the front deck. On the Tahoe's the cushin just turn over to make a semi-solid surface, and there is no (and can't find on the web-site) deck extention option. I'd like to see them make the front like the Stingray 190FX which has a solid gellcoat front deck with hinged hatches and a pad on top, along with a built-in tackle box/drawer. But the Stingray is $4K+ more then the Tahoe similarly outfitted (Stingray ALSO does web-based fix prices, at least it seems that way on the site), and I can't tell if that includes a galvanized (or any) Trailer.

So I could always fabricate a set of solid inserts to replace the front cushins for fishing, and same with a deck extention. But that's 2 years away, unless IBM stocks skyrocket!!! LOL
TaQ4SF_OH_04_w.jpeg

Mike L - Seriously if I had the cash, i'd sell the PC 175 (heck I get enough email and ramp offers) i'd be EASY and i'd be LOST to the DARK SIDE!!! LOL

Of COurse if WHEN the time and $$ comes I find a good used Targa 18 Sport ,well then....

And up...

Very good flexibility. Also like the retractable front deck with the seat base underneath.
F170HSOHO104_OH_04_l.jpg

Rich - I do like the retractable front deck, the new Tracker Targas (17 and18 sport models) have the same thing, though the rear deck/bench is unique to Fisher.

Trep