What do i have

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Holtz

Reaction score
Ok here we go. I have a 1997 Nitro Sport 185 F/S. It came wih 3 batteries. One is for the Out Board Engine. The other two i think go to my trolling Motor. When i look at these two batteries they both have a red lead and black lead going towards the front of the boat. These leads do not ever connect to one another that i can see. Now at the front of the boat is my trolling motor with a foot control and on the side of it is a switch that gives me the option to select 12v off or 24 volt. When i bought the boat (used) the switch was set to 24 volt and all has been well. Here are my questions, do i have a 24 volt system? How do i charge these batteries. I presently unplug the batteries (there:D is a simple pull apart connetor on both red battery leads) and charge one and when its charge do the same to the other battery.

It sounds like you have a 12/24 system that delivers the current at the plug. You can remove the plug receptacle at the dash to verify the two seperate voltages. You can charge them together with a two bank charger or individually with a single. It makes no difference as the voltage is selected at the TM switch. Verify the plug fitting to be sure, but I'm 99% sure that's your setup. Good luck! ;)

As Dan said, you have a 12/24v system. I have the same setup and I use mine in 24v mode. If you do not have an onboard battery charger, get a 3 bank cover all of your bases. Mine came with a 2 bank and changed it for a 3 bank to keep the cranking battery charged.

Back