What causes computer eye strain?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci Matheis

Reaction score
Where I'm working, it almost hurts to read the computer monitor..... I've put on a polarized screen..... adjusted the brightness and contrast..... But I still get really bad eye strain.....

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

If it makes any difference, it's an Apple system and the monitors are made by Sony.

Me! There are a lot of variables. One is the focus, if the monitor is even the slightest bit out of focus is can really cause a lot of eye strain. How old in the monitor? The older apple and sony(same thing) 13,15 and 16 inch monitors are known for going out of focus and also having bad convergence. Convergence is the alignment of the color guns, if you see a color fringes around the icons the convergence is out and should be adjusted. If the convergence is out it also affects the overall focus. Also burn in over time can throw off the focus and the only cure is tube replacement. dot pitch also plays a factor but on a Mac its not a problem because they use a .25 dot pitch screen and have for as long as i can remember. Back in the day i used to service monitors and actually i went to school for apple monitors years ago.

If its an old monitor its not worth fixing. You may want to let the company know its bothering your eyes and have them either swap it with another or replace it. If they replace it the lcd flat panels are much easier on the eyes.

Me! - eliminate 1st things 1st - go get your eyes checked. Prescriptions do change. If you have recently done this, try to borrow a monitor from a friend.

david....

Every few minutes, look away from the screen and focus on a distant object.

The eye muscles that focus your eyes get tired of holding the same position. Just like any other muscle.

Flourecent overhead lights can cause eye strain. The frequency of your laptop screen or monitor if running at different frequency as overhead lights can cause eye strain and headaches..I work on PC 12+ hours a day, and before I started working from home I used to turn the overhead lights off in my office. hope this helps..

.....oh wow.....

The lights REALLY make a difference!

I think the focus is probably a bit off like Jim suggested as well..... my screen isn't quite as sharp as our bookkeeper's..... I did hit a "reset" button and, for some reason, that seemed to make it sharper.....

The setting that bothers my eyes the most is the "Refresh Rate" Anything thing lower than 60Hertz gives me wicked head aches. Most monitors today refresh as high as 85Hertz.

Set your refresh rate as high as it will go.

How do you set a refresh rate?

(Again, this is a Mac system if that makes a diffenence.)

What version of the Mac os? Macs normally set it to an acceptable refresh rate right out of the box. on some lf the older stuff you had no option. If its system 8 or newer try clocking on the apple then open the control panel and open the display control panel and it should be in there.

This is the only computer I've ever had that problem with. Turning off the florescent lights has made a HUGE difference!

Change the refresh rate to 75 Hz Vice the 60 Hz it normally is. You will immediately notice the difference, Setup the change in Control Panel,display, setting's, advanced, Monitor, then select refresh rate. If everyone did this all of you would notice an easing of the strain on your eye's as soon as you finished.

I am not good with the MAC, so maybe someone that is could give "directions" to change the rate..

Michael

I don't know how I found it but I did..... I changed the refresh rate to 85. It also helps - but not nearly as much as turning off the florescent light! The boss is gonna get me a desk lamp!

Thanks, everyone!

BE CARFUL!!! Don't stub your toe walking around in the dark!

Harpo

I'll tell you what causes it....that freakin' picture of me you keep posting....you shouldn't use it as your computer wallpaper!!!

I know that pic hurts my eyes....LOL

Rich D

Bwhhaaaaaa....Hear ye, hear ye!! Neeley's drunk mugshot is now banned from the site. I'm sure new ones will follow after the rally!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back