What a weekend!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well, I'm halfway through my 35 days straight without a day off. Happens every fall. Usually I go longer but I have Nov 3rd off, so that breaks it! Typical NY weather for ya this weekend. Nice and cool last week, nice and cool today and tomorrow, 40's. BUT Sat and Sunday????? mid 60's!!!!! Too darn hot for hunters, too hot for dogs and even too hot for the birds! And the WIND! Geeez louise, there had to be 40mph gusts! It's swirls the scent and frustrates the dog, plus the birds will run rather than flush. VERY aggravating, but alas, Zeke and I are pros and still managed through blood, lots of sweat and some tears to produce great hunts both days. Saturday was a new experience for me. I had 2 lady hunters, relax fellas, there were "life partners" by self description. Super nice gals! I was admittedly awkward with the situation at first until they showed me they were as good a shots or better than most male clients I take out. Plus they were no where near as demanding as most other clients. They were content to see beautiful dog work, nice covers and a few birds. They tipped well, though they didn't get any birds. They honestly weren't trying all that hard. And after the stories they told me of how other guides run their services in the south, if I set up down there, I'll be swamped for life! I can't believe how some guides treat their clients. Anyway! Yesterday brought a single guy, which is hard beacause the bird can only flush one way to present a shot. With 2 shooters, somebody always gets a shot. Anyway, another super nice guy. Fresh out of an Orvis catalog! LOL New everything and pretty green with grouse though he claimed to be an avid hunter. The truth showed itself quickly. Zeke and I got him several beautiful points and flushes, but he is every guides dream in that he practiced "shoot and release" so none of my "inventory" was harvested. LOL I felt bad for him, but he had a great time and wants to come back soon! My job was done. Zeke was as always extraordinary! He showed his field champion colors and hunted hard all weekend despite the worst conditions for birds. My new Cabelas collar works great but was too loud, had to tape it a little. Anyway, bird numbers are down a bit from the very wet spring and increased skunks and racoons. But anyone wanting to come up, let me know.

Rob,

Your tales of hunts always makes me want to book you for a day! Unfortunately with my job, I can't take any time off, other than holidays from November through the new year. Maybe next year!

Rich D

HEY, come on up the weekend after Christmas. Grouse are great then and there is NOBODY in the woods. Birds are all coveyed up and you get 4-6 birds in a flush! As long as the snow isn't too deep for the dog. But last year we didn't get ANY snow to speak of. Rich, where there's a will, there's a way. I would say Thanksgiving weekend, but that's my weekend to bag a buck!

Sounds like you had a good time. I love it when they can't hit the birds, makes me not feel so bad when I can't connect. Saw a few birds this weekend while making drives, but not anywhere's near the numbers we'd been seeing. Of course, with all the leaves on you can't see much anyways. I did see a great buck Sunday, one of those 200+ pounders. You might know I'm hunting in a does only deer management unit. I will be back after him though this weekend when the regular rifle season opens.

Rob,

This year is out of the question, next year you will probably see me! Does NY have a late bird season in January? Thanksgiving is out here as well. Deer slayin season!

Rich, our grouse season stays open until end of Feb! As long as the snow's not too deep, I'll still run the dog.

Latest posts

Back