WD-40

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Here's something that we all use enjoy the information.

WD 40

Although it is famous throughout the world, WD-40 is somewhat of a mystery. Who thought of it? Who invented it? What is it?

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company.

It's name comes from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling (also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home. The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans. The rest, as they say, is history.

It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of them is the "brewmaster." There are about 2.5 million gallons of the stuff manufactured each year. It gets its distinctive smell from a fragrance that is added to the brew. Ken East says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.

So, what do you use it for?

TOXIC

Toxic - Besides the obvious as a lubricant, I find that it is great for removing sticky residue from labels, stickers on windows and glue on bottles that I want to save. As you mentioned it is also a great room freshener (LOL).

Keeps flies off cows.

Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).

Hand cleaner.

I have even heard of folks spraying it on their arms, hands, knees, etc., to relieve arthritis pain.

Untangles jewelry chains.

Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.

Removes tomato stains from clothing.

Protects silver from tarnishing.

Gets oil spots off concrete driveways.

More?LOL

TOXIC

I have heard of guys using it as a fish attractant. I don't know how successful they were, but there you go...

Rich D

I use it on everything from noisy door hinges to removing nasty scum line and exaust stains from lower unit and transom..

if you look on some cans that list the ingrediants one of the main ingredients is fish oil. just some trivia to amaze your friends.

I have heard of people using it on Flurocarbon line to reduce memory. I don't know if works or not because I use Reel Majic.

It also makes a great propellent for a potato gun :)

i know a guy wipes his boat down with it after each use,

i have used to clean my trailer.

You can spray your ATV (four wheeler) down with it, and the dirts and grime wont stick to it. Makes it easier to clean when you get back from the woods.

Wolf

one for the 'northerners'...

spray it on your snow shovel and wipe off the excess...

the snoty/sticky snow/slush will slide right off!

I've seen it sprayed on nightcrawlers being used for walleye bait in Lake Erie...never tried it myself...

az

One of the contractors who buys at the lumber yard/building supply where I now work says WD-40 will take off the expanding insulating foam (e.g. Great Stuff) if you get it on your hands. Otherwise you just wait til it wears off.

Toxic,I had a great fishing buddy who

did use it for his aching joints.I used

to laugh at him when he sprayed it on his

knees and elbows,shoulders you name it.

I've always sprayed it on a shovel. Gumbo mud don't stick.

Spray it on my hands before picking up a fish bait to keep my stink of the worms. Or vice versa. Also before working on a lawnmower/weedeater/blower etc.

i used to spray it on my boats seat when i winterized it to prevent green algea from growing.

mike

Latest posts

Back