VHF's

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Ambrose

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I'm thinking about buying a hand held VHF radio. Does anyone have any experience with them and could you recomend a specific brand or model.

Thanks,

Chuck

Haven't heard to many people talking about them lately, now that weather alerts can be sent directly to cell phones and i-phones, etc. The big $$ sonar/gps units can also be set to show weather map overlays directly on the screens.

Try using your cell phone first....just go to your local TV stations website and click on the "weather" link and there should be an app there that let's them send "alerts" directly to your phone,...and it's FREE! ;)

Weather.com also offers free text alerts and such that can be sent to you mobile phones:

http://www.weather.com/mobile/textmessaging.html

I use the text alerts for work and home as they are issued before we hear about them on the local radio or TV stations. In fact, we are under a Tornado Watch right now!

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Thanks for the advice but I was more interested in hearing where the fish are biting versus the weather. I fish in Baltimore and there are a lot of boats in the bay and the Potapsco River communicating via radio.

I have one, of the "standard" ones with WX radio included. I use the WX radio more then anything else.

I got a good deal on a dash mount marine radio, so I have one in my Tracker and I love it. If you are on big water, it can be a lifesaver as well as allowing you to chat with other captains on where the fish might be. Check the Coast Guard website and the radio manual, as most channels are restricted as to what you can use them for; some are for hailing or emergency only, while a couple are open for chatting. Range is limited by height of the antenna, that's why sail boats mount the antenna on top of the mast. You should still get at least 3 miles or so with a handheld at boat level.

Handhelds are for dingy's or talking to your friends at close range. Get a fixed mount with a big antenna if you want to hear anyone more than 5 miles away

Back