Veterans Day

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Dufour

Reaction score
I would like to thank all the veterans who have served and those who are now serving in our armed forces. The sacrifices that they endure makes them the real heroes in our society. As an Air Force veteran, I know what it takes to be away from home for years and this makes me only appreciate our great country even more. You don't take anything for granted. Again, thanks to all who have served and who are serving now. Please say a prayer for our deceased veterans. It makes me PROUD to be a U.S. veteran in this great country. God Bless America!

Barry from Louisiana

Today is a day that makes me pause and think of all who have served and the sacrifice they have made and do make every day. Yesterday was the 234th Birthday of the Corps and I was reminded of this... Hope you don't mind my posting it on this thread...

"A mission that never ends.

We participated in the Revolution that brought America as we know it into existence.

We have fought in every climate and every environment conceivable to man.

And, we did so with honor.

Today the mission goes on.

We continue to protect this great nation against all enemies foreign and domestic.

We are always faithful to ourselves, to our country and to the legacy that we all inherit by being Marines.

We are proud and dedicated professionals in the craft of warfare.

And our commitment is as strong as the brotherhood which unites us.

We are the United States Marine Corps."

That is equally applicable to all who have served and are serving today, not just to Marines. OOOOooooooRRRRrrrrrraaaahhhhh to you all. May God Bless you and keep you all safe.

My Family. Navy, Army Air Corps WWII. Navy, Army, Air Force Rangers Vietnam, Navy currently

Wife's Family Navy WWII, Navy Vietnam

All proud to have served.

fatrap

I was the only one in my family to serve in the U.S. armed forces. My two brothers missed out of everything, my Dad was too young for WWI and to old for WWII and then they nabbed me:) Now, my paternal Grandfather served with the Virginia Infantry in the war of northern aggression as did my maternal Great-Grandfather. They are both buried in the Confederate Circle in Arlington Cemetery. That was quite a distance in time between those guys and myself:)

When Veterans day came and went and I must say, and I mean no offense to anyone in particular, that I was extremely disappointed in the number of posts covering that subject!:(

Only three or four people could take the time to thank or honor the Veteran's on this board or the guys & gals now serving overseas. Maybe I'm way out of line but I don't think so! I just don't understand?? Whenever some one's son or daughter is revealed to be joining up or who's company is headed for Iraq or Afghanistan, there are cheers and God Blesses all over the place here. So, what the hell happened to Veterans Day? Geeeez, Veterans even gave most of you another day off! I'm sorry but it's how I feel. I debated writing anything at all but then I decided I just had to. WHY, what happened?:(

Uncle Billy

My apologies Uncle Billy. I didnt post it here as I dont come here as much as I once did.

I did however post it on my Facebook page. I had the day off and used it to excersize my freedom to fish. For that, I thank YOU!

Mini

I sent "personal" notes to the family and friends whom i know best. My sincere apologies to the Veterans on this board whom I missed,..I need to update my personal email addy's to include you too!

My Dad served in WWII (Navy), my Uncle in Korea (Army), and my Brother in the Gulf War and Somalia (USMC & Navy SEALS) and several close personal friends who are retired from the USMC, ARMY, NAVY and Air Force. My gratitude to them runs DEEEEEEEP and I never forget them or their sacrifices, unfortunately, I just plain forgot to put a post up here as well,...thank YOU, UB, Greg, and EVERY OTHER vet on this board for your service and personal sacrifices during your tour's...without you,..this country would be nothing!!

Forever grateful,

Mac

I try to thank a vet every day. My Dad survived the Nazi occupation of our ancestral farm in Norway, leaving home at the ripe old age of 13 yrs., to join the Merchant Marines. (As the only male child and the oldest of five children, mouths needed to be fed.) At 21 he wanted to be an American citizen, but back then you needed a trade, a job, and a sponsor for consideration. My Dad comes from a long line of shipbuilders and master carpenters, so a trade was covered. All he needed was a job and a sponsor. With the Korean conflict rapidly building, Uncle Sam granted the last two requirements and Pop was back on a boat, earning citizenship through service and the horrors of war. Seven years later his hitch was up and he and his new bride settled in So. IL to start a family and live the American Dream.

Dad started chemo-therapy two weeks ago for agressive prostate cancer. (Seed implantation and irradiation.) Last week the effects really began to show. Although obviously tired, he wanted to go, so I took him to the VFW to hang out with his buddies for a few hours last Friday. Like we do at the American Legion Hall, (proud S.A.L. here!) we shoot the bull with the regulars, have a beer with a face we hadn't seen in a while, and buy a beer for the new, young, brave faces uncertain of their future, but certain in their determination that our futures will be free from opression. My Dad was Army, my brother an Air Force Eagle driver, and my Uncle Willy lies at rest where he fell on Guadalcanal. Many of my mother's family also fell in battle, but there is little mention of the Native Americans who fought against their oppressors seeking expansion by force and theft. (An argument and a dark passage of history uncomfortably avoided with regularity. :( )

All veterans who fought for our rights to freedom and liberty deserve a Veteran's Day. Today and every day, not just 11/11. :wub:

Uncle Billy,

I try to thanks vets everyday, not just Veterans Day. Thanks to you and all of the veterans here.

I also made a post on my Facebook page on Veterans Day.

Looking at the calendar, last Wednesday was like any other day until I got home from work. My gf decided to end our relationship and I had to make arrangements to find a home for my dog. The true meaning of the day kind of went downhill at that point, but it didn't take away from my feelings and appreciations to all of our military, past and present.

UB, I also thank those that are and those that did, I just did not notice this post somehow.

Latest posts

Back