Very inexpensive Rod saver/organizer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mebassn

Reaction score
Ok, here is a real ez way to organize ANY rod locker and the materials you need are as follows. And all can be bought at you local Home Depot or other hardware store.

1. 3/4 or 1" inch inner diameter pipe insulation (thin walled)

2. Duct Tape

3. Plastic caps that fit ends of tubing

4. 1 - 2x4 4' in length

5. Felt padding wide enough to cover tops of 2x4's

6. 3/4" staples for attaching felt to wood. OR good Adhesive

7. Wood screws (2 1/2")

The rod cover assembly is easy, choose how long you want to cover your fishing rod, (usually 36" is plenty, maybe 42") Cut tubing at that point, place cap over end and tape it on OR just tape the end BUT make sure you DO NOT have direct adhesive over the tube hole as it will stick to the rod tip and make it all gummy after time (experience). Make as many as needed.

Step 2.

1. Measure 2x4 to fit the bottom of the locker just above the point where is cuts under to the keel.

2. Lay board in and see where you need to shape it to fit the contour on the inner floor of locker and shape it as required with a jig saw or whatever you can use.

3. Measure from top of formed 2x4 to highest point where you would like your rods to stop (ie lid clearance). Cut 2 lengths of 2x4 1 & 1/2 inches less than top measurement. Now you have your top and bottom rod handle supports.

4. BEFORE Assembly make sure it will all fit in as one piece, some mods may be needed depending on your particular rod locker design.

4.a Paint if you want

5. Mark all spots where felt is to be laid, cut felt, then attach felt to wood.

6. Put into locker and install the rods.

I have a NX882 and have 13 rods in one locker including a 7' flippin stick and 7 1/2' crankin rod.

I decided to use these because of the amount of damage to my rod eyes the hard tubes were causing if i wasn't paying attention to the way i was stowing or removing the rods. The price is very cheap, something like $20 for the whole thing but i did have some stuff already.

Last thing, if the tubing is pre cut but not seperated DO NOT SEPERATE IT or your line may fall through the slit or an eye may poke out every once in a while.

Hope this is useful information for you guys

Eric H.

If you get a chance could you post a picture? I also have a NX882 and am looking for a good way to stow rods. Thanks, Mark

I was excited when I saw duct tape in the list of materials, but it appears that you forgot to use it. No job is complete until ya use da tape!

Gene

The rod cover assembly is easy, choose how long you want to cover your fishing rod, (usually 36" is plenty, maybe 42") Cut tubing at that point, place cap over end and tape it on OR just tape the end BUT make sure you DO NOT have direct adhesive over the tube hole as it will stick to the rod tip and make it all gummy after time (experience). Make as many as needed.

I didn't for get to use it, just a little is all you need. Can't complete a job W?O duct tape lol

Eric H.

Latest posts

Back