Vehicle Tires

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
What brand do you use. I have been using Firestone, and lately I have had trouble with them.

Bubby:)

My 03 Dodge Ram came with Goodyears - don't recall what model though. I usually like Goodyears for quietness and decent traction, but hate them for their wearability. These were different, and lasted was past what I thought they would - just shy of 60K - to be exact 58,581 miles according to my vehicle records. They still had a bit of tread left on them, but were getting close to the wear indicators, and with hunting season approaching, I changed them. I put on some BF Goodrich All Terrain's, and they have good grip, and are wearing nicely... BUT the longer I drive the truck, the louder it seems they are getting. At first, I thought it was something wrong with my truck - like maybe rotors dragging, or the differential, or something, but nope - it's the tires. I'll stick with them until they wear out, but (unless I trade the truck in :lol: ), I'm going to get another brand next time. I have an additional set of tires for off-road use only - I put them on when I know I'm going to be in some muck - Dunlop Mud Tires, and the BFG's are just as noisy. I'd expect it from the mud tires, but I didn't expect that loud of a noise from the All Terrain's.

All the best,

Glenn

Bubby, curious about what kind of trouble you've had with the Firestones. I've been looking at the Discovery all terrains. Gonna buy in the next week.

BruceM

If oyur not looking to go seriously off road trake a look at the Uniroyal cross country. I put a set on my Dakota when i had it and of all the tires i have owned in the past i was the most impressed with these. They wore like iron, were good in the snow and rain and were veri quiet. They are in the same class as the Michelin cross terrain but cost a good bit less and from what i have read are a better tire. With the bridgestones i have on my silverado wear out i will most likley get these again. I sont like good years( except on the trailer) for the same reason as Glenn, they just dont last.

Glenn, your going to hate me for telling you this but the noise you get form those BFG all trerrains will get worse as they wear. The pitch of the noice will get higher and higher as the tread wears off, i have run those in the past and thats what has happened to me. I like those tires for off roading but hate them on road. They have great tractionn as much as most mud tires( you would be suprised as how well they bite mud and self clean) that arent made by BFG and are practally flat proof. But you pay the price with noise and ride. They also seem to wear out in the center even when inflated properly.

My 2001 Jeep GC Larado came with 16" Goodyears. I got around 45K out of them (with several flats) then I switched to B F Goodrich 6ply "Long Trails" (I think they're called) from Sam's. I got around 80K out of the first set and now the second set has around 50K on them and they look like they're good for another 50K. Here's the really weird part...I work around new home construction all the time, jumping curbs, driving up into the lot with all the nails and screws and other crap left behind on a job, and I have never had a flat or even so much as a low tire with either set. I've never been stuck in mud or sand. On top of all that they are like the cheapest 16" tire that Sam's sell. I did notice slightly more noise right after I switched from the Goodyears but I don't even notice it now. I'll never own another tire... on a work truck anyway.

Harpo

Bruce, I am a contractor. I do the maintiance for the Firestone stores in my area. I have 3 vehicles, and get Firestone tires at a good price. I use Dualer, and Bridgestone, high end tires. I believe lately I have not had much luck with wear.I also had a blowout on a tire that was 4 months old. I just wanted to see what you guys like.

Bubby:)

Firestones on the 4X4 Powerstroke. They suck. Gonna get some Duelers like my old truck had.

fatrap

We finally put BFG Long Trail TA's on my wife's explorer and she loves them. 2 years and not a problem and she gets good traction in the snow. No noise problems either. Nice soft ride compared to the Goodyears that were on it.

I have a second set (after 80,000.... yes 80,000 miles) of Goodyear Wrangler RTS tires on my Ford F-150 Supercrew 4X4.... that set has about 65,000 miles so I am going to replace them before winter... Same tires on my son's truck, Dakota, but he has only had the truck one year.... But they are the only truck tires I would ever buy... until they change them..

last set of BFG 's all-terrian 31.10 50 ko 84,000 miles , 80,000 on the set before that . toyota pickup 4wd

Michelin LTX MS. I put them on my jeep at 77,000 miles. Got American Racing wheels and the tires as a b-day present. I now have 235,000 on the jeep. Same wheels and tires. Never been rotated. I guess this winter I might change them out (I've been saying that for the last 3 years). I wish I could get that type of mileage out of American rubber:angry:

TOXIC

9 outta' 10 times.....Michelins will dry rot before you ever wear em' out!

By FAR the best made...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

I second the BFG Lontrail TA. I have them on my Pathfinder and run and look good. I havd a 265 70 16 and can not hear any road noise.

Donnie

My wife has Goodyear tires on her Honda Pilot. They STINK! LOUD, BOUNCEY...TERRIBLE. I won't own another Goodyear tire!

Bryan

Latest posts

Back