Update On Prop Question On Pro Team 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Jordan

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who responded to my question concerning the proper setup for a 2002 Pro Team 175 with a new 75 hp Optimax. It took the dealer almost 3 weeks to get my boat in the shop which was a little frustrating since I had the new motor put on the boat the first week of December and they didn't have it right. I was at the dealership before they opened on Monday. They sent one of their top mechanics with me to the nearest lake with a second prop. They had put a 13.5 X 21 prop on the boat originally. It would only turn 4800-4900 rpm's and run 37 mph. I also had a terrible problem with porposing. On top of every thing else I had a bad tach which they replaced before we went to the lake. Joe Currier on this site had told me to try a 13 X 19 prop. That is the size of the extra prop we took with us. After a long test run the mechanic agreed the 21 pitch was way to big. With the 13 X 19 prop it turned 5200 rpm's and hit 40 mph briefly. It was pretty windy at the lake so it wasn't the best day to do what we needed to do. The mechanic said the absolute best setup would be a 13 X 18 stainless prop. He felt the motor would then turn 5400- 5500 rpm's and would probably top out at about 42 mph. He also concluded the motor was mounted to high. If you have one of the older Pro Team 175's and want to up grade to a new 75 hp Optimax you need to have the motor mounted at the next to the top hole on the motor mount with a 13 X 18 stainless prop. I hope this helps someone else. I am not sure if this would hold true for the newer wider 175's but it probably would.

Pastor Rob

Each boat is a lil' different but, sounds as if your at the point of tweaking stuff like weight and moving stuff around for better balance.

Which hole is your engine mounted?

The top mounting bolts are in the next to the top holes on the motor mounting bracket.

rob,

glad you were able test a few props at the dealer.

i'm a littel curious why you would opt to buy an 18" stainless at 5-6 hundred.

to run the motor at 100rpm shy of redline only to gain 2mph and lose alot of fuel ecomony. but thats you choice.

wish you luck take care.

Joe, I do not plan to change props. I can not justify the expense for the very reasons you mentioned. I just wanted to give someone else, who may need the information I lacked going into this, all the info I had so they could make the best decision possible. I really want to thank you for your help in this matter. My dealer still insisted the 13.5 X 21 prop was what their manual called for on that motor but as you already knew, and as I feel I proved to them with your information, their manual is wrong. The boat jumps out of the water onto plane and runs out great. I had debated on trading my boat in and paying the $8000 down the new motor cost me in addition to the trade in and upgrading to a bigger, newer boat. I am now glad I didn't go that route. What I have is paid for and since I am just a recreational fisherman who doesn't get to fish but about 20 times a year I am glad I did what I did.

Thanks again Joe for all of your help.

Pastor Rob

rob,

no thanks required my freind thats what this site is all about.

we pass on the knowlage that took alot of us years and yes more than my share of

screw ups to come by freely so the next guy won't have to feel your pain.

your dealer must have a differnt rigging book than the foxboro store i worked in

because i still have my prop spec sheet for each boat and motor combo and they

have not a clue imho.

good luck my freind is there is ever anything i can help with don't hesitate.

joe

Latest posts

Back