Underpowered signs?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick DeLattre

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 482 this afternoon, what do I mainly look for in the test run to make sure the 90 hp merc is sufficient on this boat? I'm a trade bit concerned, due to the fact a friend told me that a 90 may be to small for this boat! Anyone, feel free to chime in!

Fill the livewells, fill the gas tanks, and remember how much extra gear weighs. I'd bring a friend to help add more weight. So three people, full bags and wells. See how it planes, comes out of the hole and top end (GPS not speedo).

I had a Z6 with the 115. It was okay, but no rocket ship. With full livewells, gear, full of fuel and two people you will not like the performance of the 90. You can go with a lower pitch prop to get some power, but you would trade off top end. An underpowered boat is no fun and as you own it awhile it will only annoy you more, I would look for one with at least a 115 or higher.

Rick, I myself have a 06 482 with an opti 150. I fish mostly by myself, carry a lot of gear ( not sure why ) and have a full live well when fish are being caught. When it is just me ( 200lbs+) it launches out of the hole like a missile, add 1 to 2 people, shad tank for salt water bass trips and you begin to notice the drag. With that being said, it takes a little longer getting out of the hole but is still adequate. I personally think the 90hp limits the versatility you may have on this boat. Anyway, I hope this information helps and I understand there is more to buying a boat than just the hp.

I just finished the test ride on the boat, and the 90 hp does not cut it! If anyone out here is near pa and has a 482 or newer with a 150 email me at [email protected]! Thanks Rusty and Bill you both are correct!

I did see a certificate for a new Z6 for sale for $15K. It is listed on teh Swap or Sell page. doesn't mention a motor though.

Latest posts

Back