Unbelievable Scam!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Every now and then when things are slow here I cruise over to the Bass Fishing Home Page and read some of the posts there. A few minutes ago, while lurking there I click a question tittled "What bait to use for pre-spawn?" What I get is a page telling me that I have won a $50 gift certificate at one of 12 or 15 differant businesses. I'm skeptical but I bite and give them some info such as my name, address, old E-mail address, wrong phone number, ect. Then I have to go through a barrage of sales pitchs for everything from herbal potency treatment to storm windows. I keep clicking no...no...no until I finally give up and close the browser. This was no popup, this was a very sophisticated marketing campaign.

Rich Stern, THANK YOU for the wonderful NTOWS without all the crap that the others boating/fishing websites seem to encourage.

Harpo

I got just about the same thing over there yesterday, Harpo..... "Congratulations! You are visitor 100,000 to this site!"

You're right, it wasn't a pop-up; I've got a blocker finally. I knew it was trash, but my curiosity made me click on it anyway..... Same BS as you experienced.....

I know when I am Really Bored 'cuz I go over there.....

Thank you, Rich Stern, for making this The Best Site On The Web!

How about the "You are the 1,000,000 visitor to the site. Click here to claim your prize!" Wonder how many 1,000,000 visitors they have had??? LOL

Dont click on any of those type of popups, its a great way to get spyware/malware installed on your pc without you ever knowing it.

It imbeds itself in your system and "snoops" around or spies on where you surf/personal information/address book info. etc., and actually sends the information back to the originator. Spammers use it.

TOXIC

No kidding? That sounds like it should be illegal. Kinda like tapping your phone and recording your calls without you knowing......

Tox it right but thats only part of it, some will send popups in your face all the time, some contain viruses or allow a hacker to take control of your pc. some sites will install it without you ever knowing using java and short of removing java there isnt much you can do to stop it. I hate to say it but the BFHP is a haven for that kind of stuff. I have to deal with this stuff on a daily basis at work. users cluck on or open anything and they get loaded with spyware and viruses. I use a product called Ad aware to get rid of this stuff. check the link below.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

I run both, Adaware and Spyblaster. They each seem to get things the other may miss. It is truly amazing how much crap that gets on your hard drive from all these differant sites you vist. I wonder if anybody in Washington is looking into this invasion of privacy? There needs to be a law!!

Harpo

Virginia is slowly coming around. DC is looking at it just like the phone spammers and the "do not call" list. New regulation took effect today that phone spammers have to display a company name on "Caller-ID" screens and a number where they can be called 9 to 5 where you can request that you be taken off of their list. We have noticed a huge drop in calls since the do not call list took effect. Only a certain amount of time before they get to the internet garbage spammers. Let's not forget, site owners make a lot of money on "click-throughs" and fees paid by spammers to put pop-ups and other crap on their pages. That's why we are so lucky Rich has not bought into that!!

TOXIC

The big problem with spam and spyware laws is they will just move it overseas where we cant enforce. The bottom line is we need to be careful about what sites we go to, not to just click on every little thing that pops on the screen and not open every email attachment we get just because its there regardless of the source.

Good point Jim. But how does one know what sites are the problem. I just ran both of the spyware guard programs and took a look at what they all are. There are hundreds maybe even thousands of things that are embeded on my hard drive that I have no idea how they got there.

Maybe the people who wear aluminum foil on their heads to prevent other people from reading their minds aren't as crazy as we think! LOL

Harpo

Thats the problem Harpo, you never know. A good popup blocker prevents some of it as well as not clicking on every popup you see. Then there are the ones that ask to install like gator or bonzi buddy, those apps are bad news. The key is be careful of what you click on and run a cleaner like you have been.

One question about the Remover tools. After the program finds the suspect files. How do you tell which files need to be deleated and which ones need to be kept. Or do you just deleat all that are found?

I ran Ad-Aware and then deleated the files and My Kazaa program stopped working.

There is a reason for that John, Kazaa is loaded with spyware. That Gain ad network it loads is a huge data miner spyware program and there are others too. Kazaa is also known for people getting nasty viruses too. I cant tell you how many computers i have had to fix at work because of Kazaa, the list is in the hundreds. It also causes a major performance hit form all the spyware. The same goes for every peer to peer file sharing networks i have seen.

Thanks Jim.

So Should I just deleat every file that Ad-Aware turns up?

I am just afraid that I will deleat a file I need.

Yea, im deletes spware and data miner cookies mainly. it wont delete anything your system needs to run normally.

Latest posts

Back