Trolling motor transducer install questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Levesque

Reaction score
Hi all, Ok, so I got this deal on the 400TX, and mounted it at the console, replacing the Standard "Tracker Pro 128" that came with the boat, replacing the transom transducer, and keeping the transom mount speed/temp transducer. Now I have this 128 and transducer that came with the boat, and have mounted it on the bow/trolling motor. The way I see it, it makes sense for me to use the "better" one at the console, for trolling, etc,because it seems usually when I'm up front with the trolling motor I'm just trying to hold the boat over a location or depth or weed edge.

So a few questions I have are-

The boat is a 2002 Pro Deep V 16

When I looked around under the platform up there I found 2 wires, a black, and a blue w/ white stripe, tested and found they are always live, and had connectors on them and were unused. Try as I might I couldn't trace them back to where they end. But I do know they are always "live".

Would it be wise/safe to use these for the Fishfinder power?

Would an inline fuse be needed?

Also, I was going to order the trolling motor transducer from Hbird as I hear that usually works better than transplanting a transom mount transducer on a trolling motor?

Would that be a waste of money? I think a universal transducer mount for trolling motor is something like $17, and the trolling motor transducer from Hbird is $40-$50

Thanks for any info/advice, and if I repeated an already existing thread, sorry! egMike

Mike,

It would be fine to use the wires for the fish finder. I would use a fuse, it is cheap insurance. When I mounted my transducer up front, I went to the hardware store and bought a stainless hose clamp for less than 5$, put that around the motor and used two cable ties to secure the transducer to the clamp. Used it all year without a problem.

Rich D

Thanks Rich, then I'll use the wires for power, but will add an in-line fuse also, and hey, that "custom" mount of yours sounds a whole lot cheaper/better, than shelling out more $ for a new transducer. Thanks!

Bass Pro has a trolling motor mount for around $7 that comes with the clamp, the piece of plastic to bolt your transducr to, and the nut and bolt with washers. I have used mine for three years since I bought my boat and it works wonderfully!

Tim

Thanks guys, looks like I'm gonna save me about $40 on a TM transducer. Hmmmmmm $40 in pocket...... addicted to crankbaitin'........... what time does BPS open? hehee

egMike, Check the grab bag section, did the same thing with my new Eagle up front. My PC 175 did not come with the pre-wired extra power/ground for the graph. Also I did the same thing as Rich on this and my last boat, just used a Pipe Clamp with the transducer mounting bracket to fit perfectly!

I have always ran power direct from my starting battery for any sonar unit. Less interference and better screen clarity. Yes use a 3 amp fuse - within 3 feet of the battery is recommended. If you find the screen blacks out when you run your electric you may need to shield the transducer from the motor. When things are done right there should be no change in your screen quality from motor off to full thrust. Good Luck,

Rich
http://www.theoutdoorquest.com
Fisher3-cut.jpg

Thanks Trep and Omega, also Tim and Rich D., Thanks to this site and the people on it,a guy like me who's

a- nervous about doing certain "upgrades" on a new boat

b- unsure how to go about it

can pick up tips and help here, thanks all of ya......

Latest posts

Back