Trolling motor thrust

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
Gents, I have a 170TF with a Motorguide 41lb thrust trolling motor. The TM leaves much to be desired and is absolutely useless in any kind of wind:angry: Most of the time I am running on 4 and a lot of times 5 will trip the circuit breaker since it overheats the current wiring system. I want to upgrade but don't have room in the boat for three TM batteries, so I need to stick with a 24v system. From looking around, it seems 80lb thrust is the highest in the 24v system, but I've been told that 80lb thrust would drain a 24v system very quickly.

Question: Would it be better to go with a 70lb thrust motor to get more longevity from the batteries or will it really make that much difference? And, what gauge wire do I need to run when I upgrade from 12v to 24v? Thanks bro's

JP

An 80lb TM will NOT drain a 24volt system "quickly"....I used them for years on all of my boats and could fish all day in wind and current and sometimes 2 days without recharging. If you have good batteries and 6ga. wiring, you'll be able to fish ALL DAY in wind and current with excellent results. If you're going to upgrade wiring, deffinitely put in the 6ga. and then go with a 80lb thrust motor......there will be virtually no "drainage difference" in batteries between the 70 and 80lb thrust motors, so go with the 80lb's! More is better!!:angry:

Look at 4ga wiring too :)

I run a 24v 80# on my Ranger 520. I would like more, but it works. A 170TF will fly with a good 80# and the proper wiring.

You heard the men. I have the 80/24v system in my TV-18 and can go all day! YOu won't regret it!

Randy!

I need to up-grade also from a 70 motor guide too 80 minn kota. Just like the one Glenn is getting. All that I need know is the money. Go with the 80 pounds you won't re-gret it. Just get you a new one not a good use one,

ace4u,

Awesome motors! My new one is a 101 lb thrust. I just sold (and shipped yesterday) my Maxxum Pro 80 to Teri. I'm sure she is going to love that motor. The lift assist is an awesome feature on the Maxxums. The way it is configued on the new Fortrex that I just bought is different, as it the bounce buster too. Totally awesome looking design, and I'm liking it more and more every day.

Only problem is - my new trolling motor is mounted... but my battery compartment is bare right now. :( Trojan Batteries said that my SCS200's should be here by tomorrow though. I also bought some of the heavy duty aluminum dual battery trays from Bass Cat Boats. If you haven't put your eyes on a R&R design aluminum battery tray, you haven't seen what perfection looks like. I haven't owned one yet, but have been drooling over the design in two of my buddies boats for a while now. I vowed to get some, but I was being lazy and said to myself, "The next time I have to change batteries, I'll buy some". That way, I wasn't removing the batteries just to change the trays. Now I have an excuse to do it, so it's getting done this week.

All the best,

Glenn

Oh! Sorry JP! I got excited and got sidetracked.

I totally agree with all of the above too. You won't have a problem with an 80lb thrust motor using good batteries. I've fished two straight days on my Trojan SCS225's, using a 80lb thrust Maxxum - with no charge in between. I wouldn't recommend doing that often, but when you don't have power for your chargers at a campsite when you were expecting to have it... you have to make do.

All the best,

Glenn

Nope! He specifically asked for "gents" Teri. I guess he figured you would be too busy TAKING PICTURES of that new boat to post here. (hint, hint) :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

I have a 170TF with a Motorguide 41lb thrust trolling motor..... so I need to stick with a 24v system.
:huh:

Your 41 lb. TM has to be a 12V, right? Make sure you pop the hatch and visually lay out the extra battery needed in your configuration for true 24V. You can use your cranking battery (with an added Perko switch = PIA/POS), but you'll have to switch between 12V for cranking and 24V for TM. (2-12V TM, 1-12V crank) You can use the same batt. config. you have currently with a 12/24 TM system, but you are again using a cranking batt. for deep cycle use. Just giving you food for thought before arriving home with a big box, popping the rear hatch and thinking WTH???

FWIW - I have a 24V, 82lb. digital MG on my 19' Skiff and fished 5 days last week in N FL, charging up once before the third morning of fishing. The 24V systems, paticularly the digital series, are extremely efficient and greatly broaden the power/performance curve on your TM. Good luck! ;)

I'll be putting the trays in I got off ya' Glenn when I go 24;)

Thanx again buddy:cool:

Teri: My apologies, "Gents" being an all inclusive term:blink:

Dan: Yup, currently a 12v system

ALL: Thanks for the input, definitely going with the 80lb thrust and will make sure I've got the right guage wiring.

Glenn: Where can I get a look at this double tray you are talking about? I want to make sure I do things correctly the first time.

JP

TEE,

Was it you that I sold the TH Marine trays to? The ones with the stainless bars and hard nylon topstraps? Those have been awesome, and have never failed me. But you should see these new aluminum ones.... WOW.

All the best,

Glenn

Yep...just been so busy here lately but, hopefully later this year and I get a good deal on a 70 or 80. I have the Gator Mount so I just need the TM.

FISH ON!

Glenn,

Look up the ones by GIL marine. I know the RR's from BassCat are basically the same. The offshore GIL's are a little tougher (if you can beleive it).

JP,

If you go to Bass Cat Boats website and click on the parts link, you can see the battery trays there. The ones I ordered are the side-by-side double trays, but they don't show them on the website. They only show the single and the end-to-end double trays. The price seems a bit steep at first, but considering what I pay for my old favorite TH Marine trays, it's not that bad of a price - plus it's all metal, and strong as heck.

The website I'm talking about is here:

http://www.fishingworld.com/BassCatParts/Details.tmpl?ID=10377305762981627&Cart=123972999713182053&SKU=2437

The GIL ones that Mini posted about look awesome too. I found them here:

http://www.corsaperf.com/gil_marine/products/batbox/index.html

Mini,

The GIL marine ones look great too - but I noticed they don't list double trays, just singles. I am installing two of the RR doubles in my boat - two SCS200's in one, and a SCS200 / 27SM1100 in the other one. I really wish Trojan had not discontinued the 27SM1100 starting battery. When that one finally goes, I have no idea what I'll replace it with. Hopefully, it will last for quite a while longer.

All the best,

Glenn

JP, I have a 190 TF and upgraded to the 70 lb. thrust TM two years ago. I can garauntee you that the 80 will be plenty for your 170. Being in Kansas I have definitely "wind tested" the TM. You will not be sorry when you upgrade.:cool:

Latest posts

Back