Trolling Motor Mount

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James D.

Reaction score
Rob, or anybody that knows -

have the standard motorguide 5 speed bow mount foot control 12V 48# trolling motor which I believe has the number 15 mount as shown in the bps catalog (non resettable breakaway). It should be a 1998 version as that is the year of the boat (nitro lx700). I would like a quieter motor and a quieter mount as I think I am scaring the bass (the water is not clear here, so I know it is not me?). I can catch more bass out of the back of my friends boat than in the front of mine. I am leaning towards a minn kota maxxum based on what I've seen on this site but am considering a mg gator mount and having my motor refurbished. I am very concerned about the mounting of the mk and not wanting to have extra holes in the top cap of the boat. I assume all of the maxxums have the same mounting hole locations.

questions:

do the mounting holes line up with the mg gator mount?

do the mounting holes line up with the mk maxxum?

if the holes don't line up, what is the work around or what can be done?

If I do decide to go with the maxxum, is there anything else I should be aware of as I have only used mg in the past.

I appreciate any help as it looks like i'm gonna be out a few hundred bucks because I like to fish out of the front of my boat. dem basses luv dem sparkles but hate dem noisy bangin trolling motors. thanks so much.

james d.

James,

the minnkota is almost a direct replacment for the motorguide. What minnkota did was they put mounting holes in to match up with motorguide hole patterns and also minnkota hole patterns. So the 4 holes you have in the boat now will line right up. You will need to drill two new holes because the minnkota mount requires 6 bolts. Thye minnkota mount is really heavy and will need the extra support. If you do buy the minnkota dont use the motorguide isolator bolts, bolt it to the deck directly using the bolts in the box and get youself some bigger fender washers and use nylock nuts. if you do that you will never have problems with it coming loose ever. If you have the isolators now just cut the nut off the bottom and then bole the motor on direct. if you take the bow panel off access should be easy. If you decise to buy the minnkota you will be very happy. They are super quiet and are just super durable, and also are unstopable in the weeds.

muskyman-

sounds like u really got a project going. i appreciate the post and that should be a great grab bag posting. you might want to coat that plywood with some fiberglass resin or some kind of sealer to waterproof it. I replaced a floor and rebuilt a transom in my old boat and that resin works out pretty good. i do some catfishin here also and use the slip cork method (22" cork made out of ceder) and use the glow sticks at night. Awesome way to catfish.

thanks again.

james d.

thanks jim. sounds like it will be a project. I hope there is enough mounting space on the top cap of the lx700 as the flat surface is pretty limited. Did you have to put any bushings in to take up the space of the larger holes from the motor guide rubber bolt mounting bushings? And would it be adviseable to go ahead and get a couple more mg rubber mount bushings for the extra 2 holes or would they support the heavier mount. I'm probably making this complicated but I like to have things all figured out before I do them or I get in a hurry and screw them up.

thanks again,

james d.

James, Jim is right on. You only need 2 more holes. Use SS hardware and don't mess with the rubber bushings. The whole job takes less than 30 minutes. Provided you can jam your hand in there. You will have to remove the bow console and get your arm in there to do the work, but that's the worst of it. I mounted Buzz's Maxxum inside of 30 minutes with the bounce buster. Be sure to measure it twice and cut it once. You can never add on once too much is cut off of that support rod. Perhaps Buzz can take a pic and post it. He picked the boat back up yesterday to get ready for his club championship, I almost cried when the boat left the yard! LOL I told him if he didn't fish as a boater and win, given all the water I've shown him, I'd have no choice but to kick his arse! Hear that Buzz, don't come back without a trophy! LOL

thanks rob, it will probably only take me a couple of hours then. I'd sure miss an 896 around also. Do I need to get any bushings for the existing holes?

james d.

ok - just got the email back from minn kota and they say that the holes line up for the maxxums. however, the holes do not line up for the all terrain models. also, if purchasing a maxxum used, the warranty is not transferrable.

minn kota has a great web site and I was very happy they were able to respond to my questions quickly. i wish buzz would move to oklahoma and leave his boat at my place! good luck in tourney buzz.

james d.

Never fear, it will be back in my loving arms again soon enough with the title! Then Buzz will be out catting it for a new girl. Either a 901 or 929 I think. You never know what he'll tow home behind him, but I think I might be with him when he makes the purchase so it should have a dual console! LOL This way, next year as partner tourneys come up, pretty much no matter what happens, he and I have a boat to run. We'll probably tow both to tourneys and save one as back up! He is gonna kick some tail next weekend, I can tell. He's been holding back on them boys. Now it's time to unleash! If the fish I put him on, are on.....it will be a walk away unless somebody pulls 20+ lbs a day to the scales! Get 'em Buzz!

Then please leave us idiots alone. Only idiots join in on these discussions, right guys?

Hello, my name's MO and I'm an idiot.

My name is "Scott" and I'm an Idiot!

Hello, Mo! And thanks for sharing!

well, i never admitted it but - i probably am an idiot too! tj - it is going to take a lot more than that to ruin my day. I love this board, the people, and bass boats in general. What's wrong with tryin to find out info on something you've never done before to make sure it will turn out right? I guess I am an idiot and don't have a clue.

james d.

tj,

I an NOT an idiot, but I am "we todd id"!! I'm glad I made it through the 2nd grade or I could not have read your post!!! I can't believe you really work for Bryce Marine and then post here in an inappropriate manner! Anyways, have a nice day.

Bob G.

TJ...lighten up pal, e-mail and let's discuss your animosity towards the members of this board.

Okay...I'll give tj one...I, too, am an idiot, but I feel blessed to be in the company of my fellow idiots. However, as more than one "long dirt napper" has learned; it is probably a good idea to make sure that there are some solid bars between you and the bear before you poke the bear with a sharp stick. Hi, name's Bear.

i guess im an idiot and clueless also!!

greg,us idjuts gots ta stck together!!

May the idiots of the board unite to whipe out the scum of all!

:)

TJ grow up!

Latest posts

Back