trolling motor issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james goddard

Reaction score
I took the boat(97 pro-18) out for the first time today to a electric motor only lake. Just wanted to see if everything that worked in driveway would work on the water.The boat was left outside for 2 yrs Ive replaced alot of stuff that wasnt working switches,gauges,wiring ,etc.The trolling motor has seen better days but I got it working in the driveway it seemed good to go, When I got to the lake it lasted about 20 seconds kept popping the relay. I would reset it and it just kept doing it, So I ran home and got my transom mount motor guide bulldog 54 lbs of thrust that has a inline relay worked all day.I,m wondering if its just the relay or could the motor (minn kota 40lbs)just be on its way out. I,m thinking if it was a short in the wiring it would pop right away ? Anyone ever have this problem? The minn kota didnt seem to move the boat to good what pound thrust do most people use on this size boat?The live well filled right up but i have a manual and auto switch on it once it was filled I put it on auto and waited to see if it would come on and It never did.I left it on for like a hour nothing happened.I,m guessing it could be the timer?When I pulled the boat out of the water and pulled the drain plug had alittle water come out maybe like a cup not much at all. Is that normal or could it be a leak in the live well plumbing? Just looking for some ideas before I try to resolve these issues.thanks scott

Didn,t think they were really that tough of questions for a boat forum...I figured them all out...Was just looking for ideas...

Latest posts

Back