Trolling Motor Cable and Fuse Connection

• Thread starter Mark Hofman [IMG]http://www.stlhofman.com/cable.jp
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Last night while prepping my boat, I moved one of the trolling motor cables and broke an in-line fuse. Then I noticed that the cables are connected at the fuse in a way that doesn't quite look right.

Which is the correct way to plug these two together, "A" (below), or "B"?

And, can I get replacement fuses at an auto parts store, or are the inline fuses unique to marine vehicles? Thanks!
cable.jpg

Oh, a SPARE!!!

Now there's a g o o o d idea! Thanks EJ! It was connected like "B", but I thought to myself, "What good is the second fuse if you're routing power completely around it?" But a SPARE makes sense.

The amp limit is stamped on the end of the fuse, correct?

Mark

Come to think of it, it was the spare that broke! Oops.

MOFish,you may have to get the 40 amp fuse from a boat repair shop. I found when I used the trolling motor a lot it would blow the 40 amp. I told the shop that serviced my boat and he gave me a 50 amp fuse.I think the best way to go is to install a breaker fuse.

Wayne:

Thanks! I'm really a novice in this area. By a breaker fuse, you mean a switch like in my breaker panel at home? It trips and then you can just re-set it. Or do you mean something else? How would you install something like that, or does it need to be done at a dealership?

I'm only using a 12 volt motor, not 24, so what kind of a difference would that make in the amps being run through the fuse?

Appreciate the help guys. I've only got two days to get this fixed and ready.

Mark

Mark, I would have thought that your boat came with a manual circuit breaker panel for your trolling motor. My PT185 has one the sidewall by the throttle at the steering console. It came set up for 12 or 24 volts and has two breakers, one use for 12v and two when using for 24v. Does yours have both the circuit breaker panel and the in-line fuses?

I'm confused...but whats new there. LOL

Mark...Your TV18 has the inline fuse like you diagramed above. We've found that replaceing that with a fuse with a built-in breaker at 50 amps works ALOT better. However, the 50 amp breaker can be tough to procure. It's a marine application, so you'll have to go thru a marine dealer, which means you'll pay more than if the corner auto parts carried it. Hope this helps.

Craig

Craig:

So, can my "FRIEND" in the parts business procure two of these 50 amp breaker fuses for me? And can he post the prices?

:^)

Mark

Mark -

40 and 50 amp fuses are almost impossible to find. Would you believe that a couple of years back, when I needed one, not even the Tracker Dealer here in St. Louis stocked them! Auto parts stores don't generally carry them. About 30 amps is the highest you'll find - and they are not physically large enough to be used.

Buy the circuit breaker! You'll be VERY happy you did!

me!

P.S. Great to meet you at the Canoe Guides meeting last night!

Mark, For some reason the like doesn't work so I cut and pasted the info below.

Cabela's Dual Trolling Motor Circuit Breaker Block

Protect your expensive trolling motors and save time with this manual circuit breaker. Dual 50-amp manual breakers save you time if a circuit is thrown. Provide the maximum amount of amps to your trolling motor. Works with all brands of trolling motors. Works with up to two trolling motors.

Due to limited quantities, current stock will be checked when you add an item to your basket.

Dual Trolling Motor Circuit Breaker Block On sale!

Item: OC-013866

Price: $59.99

Circuit%20Breaker%20Block.jpg

Scott:

Just called The Fishin'Hole. They have them in stock, about a buck apiece.

Sam:

Thanks for doing the research and for posting the pic! That was really helpful! I need to get this fixed TONIGHT so I can charge my batteries before leaving on our trip tomorrow morning. I will show the information to my fishing partner (th' missuz) and tell her that this would be a good investment.

"A boat is a hole in the water into which one pours money."

Mark

"A boat is a hole in the water into which one pours money."

I'm with you there Mark. It's the only leak my boat has. I keep trying to stuff money into it but.....

Have a good trip and bring back pictures.

Sounds like you've got it covered Mark. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Big storm here last night/this am. Been trying to shovel out since 8:00am. Now it's freezing rain. UGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!

That's okay, Craig. I drove through that storm on Monday in Utah, and have been suffering through three days of rain. Thank the Lord it isn't freezing rain here. Our group leaves tomorrow for Lake Taneycomo. Temps are supposed to be in the low- to mid-40's. The FIRST year we did this rally, it was -7 degrees (true temp, not wind chill!). Stuff froze to the deck and we were constantly breaking ice off of our rod guides, spools and line. No fun.

My father-in-law was able to procure me a supply of 40-amp inline fuses through his contacts at Boeing, so we're set. But I am seriously going to talk to the wife about installing a breaker set.

Mark

P.S. To wet your fishing apitites, here are a couple of photos showing the size of fish we're going after:
jeff_01_c.jpg

I like the idea of a breaker,myself. Down here in South Georgia a fish that size would be put back in the lake so it could grow up.

Latest posts

Back