Trim Adjusting

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Hale

Reaction score
Evening All -- Sat in the house watching it rain (2 1/2in.) all day, looking at my new Targa 18sc in the back yard. I will try to get out on the water in the morning for the 1st time (without the saleman).

Trim adj.-- What is the best way to figure out if I'm trimmed to high or to low. I know you have the trim low when coming out of the "hole". Someone said adj. the trim until the boat steers ok in both directions?? I will be going through the "break in" of the 115 4stroke so i will keep it below 3500 rpm for the 1st hour.

Any help ideas??

Thnks Guys, rick

Seat time.. Trim all the way down when you get ready to take off fast.. Trim up once on plane and you will have to feel the rest.. To much trim and you will start to loose speed and gain RPM (watch the water pressure gauge if you have one) The rest will be determined by the ride and the boat.. Trim up until you get a smooth ride and reach max MPH for the Rpm. Trim down when you need more control.. All goes back to seat time..

BF

What is a normal reading for the water pressure?

One more question, when approaching a big wake, should you back off the throttle or stay full throttle? What angle is best to go through it?

Teri-

It depends on the size of the wake. Barge wakes like Mac, Rob and Neeley have to contend with, the slower the better. Boat wakes (pleasurecraft under 30ft) it is best to hit them at a 45 degree angle or straight across. But once again, if they are so large that your boat will fit in between them, SLOW DOWN(btw the same goes for rough water). It is no fun to "spear" a wave or wake. You have a much deeper v hull than us bassers so it's not as bad. Some of the tin boats are also deep v's.

TOXIC

Water pressure at normal running speeds should be 12 to 15#.

When you're idling, the gauge may not read at all.

Look back at the motor to see if water is coming out the pee-hole to confirm that you've got flow when the gauge isn't showing a reading.

me!

Thanks Guys -- Took the boat out Sun. -- My Targa is a deep V tin - so deep in fact I don't think I could get in / out using the bow while on the trailer. Also I need to stand once in awhile while driving to see- even when on plan.

I did great on the water using the trim -- don't need to trim much. Wind wasn't to bad to start but late the cold NW wind came up (17-20 mph). Still could run about 35 mph.

Thanks Rick

Latest posts

Back