TRAILER TIRES

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brantley moats

Reaction score
HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH TRAIL AMERICA TRAILER TIRES.I HAVE A DUAL AXLE 1999-896 SAVAGE nitro AND WILL NEED TIRES SOON. THE GOODYEAR MARATHONS ARE $600 A SET AND SINCE I ONLY TRAILER ABOUT 40 MILES (MAX) ONE WAY TO THE CLARKS HILL DO I REALLY NEED MARATHONS? ARE THERE ANY OTHER BRANDS THAT ANY OF YOU HAVE USED?

I do have first hand experience with Trail America. They stink to say the least. Mine were rotted and junk after only two years. the cracks were down to the cords on both the inner and outwe sidewall. The spare which sits under cover full time and has never had weight on it was the same way. They never sat in the sun unless the trailer was being used and they didn't last.

My last set of goodyears lasted 8 and were good when i traded he boat. I wont have anything else on my trailer anymore.

I cant recommend carlisle either. My father had them on his boat trailer and in one season he has 4 tread seperations on brand new tires. HE never trailered more then 10-20 miles at a time.

600 sounds steep to me. I paid a lot less for mine and i bought locally. They were ~95 a pop. You may have to shop around for the best price locally or try tire rack. Check the links below for their price.

215/75R14 w raised white letters for $94 each

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Marathon+Radial&partnum=075R4MAR6

And the 205/75R14 blackwall is 80 each.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Marathon+Radial&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=075R4MAR6&tab=Sizes

I am having 4 new Goodyear Marathons installed on my travel trailer this week. They are replacing Duro tires that came new with the camper 3 years ago. They have dry rot, cracking and the valve stems are cracked all around and one split through.

The boat trailer has what I believe are the original 2004 Marathons and they look great, no issues. I am also changing over to metal valve stems. I actually checked them after I read a post on valve stems here.

If you do go with the trail america check out the swap and sell, I have one of each size.

I put the Goodyears on my trailer.

I just put new Marathons on my trailer and got them at tirerack.com in 2 business days. I believe I paid $85 each plus the cheapest shipping which was about 40 bucks. Had them mounted for 10 bucks each at the local tire shop so I came out way cheaper than the local big name suppliers.

I had a Trail America as a spare, had to put it on after getting a nail in one of my Marathons. It last about 200 miles before it blew out doing about 65 mph. Always had Marathons otherwise with no problems.

HP

What ever tire you are buying make sure the tire is no more than 3 months old. Tires do deteroate, even in storage. Some dealers buy in volume, when the tire suppliers have a good deal, and have them in stock for years. Buying recently made tires will make a difference in lifetime of the tire expecially on a application such as a boat trailer which may have occasional or seasonal use. Gene Z

Back