trailer tire help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Barbieri

Reaction score
It is time to replace the trailer tires that came with my boat. They are Towmaster F65-14ST's. Any recomendations? I called my local tire shop and they said they would have to order the Goodyear Marathons and carry Carlyles in stock. Any opinion? Also, when I gave them the Towmaster size they said they don't have any matches they see for that tire size? Can anyone help with correct size?

Also the rims on my 2001 were all peeling and looked horrible. I tried to spray them over but am not satisfied with the way it looks. Any help there too? :unsure:

Thanks,

Kevin

I have Goodyear Marathons and have had them on two boat trailers. Even my spare is a Marathon. I have heard bad things from some people concerning them but as far as I'm concerned they're gold.

As far as the rims. I believe thats some kind of polymer spray coating. You might contact someplace that sells custom wheels and see what they can recommend.

Mike

Cool thanks! I will be headed to the tire shop on lunch. Any idea on what size Marathons you have? Are they all standard sizes on the Trail Star trailers?

Kevin - can't help with the full conversion of the tire size, but it looks like you have a 14" rim diameter tire with an aspect ratio (ratio of sidewall height to width) of 65 on your original tires. To fully convert to the new metric size (i.e., ST___/65D14), you need the missing first number which is the width of the tire measured from sidewall to sidewall (in mm). The "ST" stands for "Specialty Trailer" and the "D" refers to bias-ply tires versus "R" which would be radials.

As for Towmasters, they seem to be an okay brand (i.e., I've been fine with them on my utility trailers when I ran them, even fully loaded). If you really want Towmasters, you can find your size (i.e., F65-14ST) on sale at www.selecttire.com for about $44.00 each (not including shipping and handling).

As for the rims, to do it right, you'll need to take off the tires (or have them removed), then work on them. That means getting rid of surface rust, peeling paint, etc. and sanding down smooth. Then coat with a good metal-specific primer, allow to dry, wetsand smooth, wash, allow to dry and then spray with a good quality paint applied in thin layers. Between layers, you may need to let each coat dry, wetsand smooth and repeat. The final coat should be a spray on clear coat. Its a lot of work to get good results. If really don't want to deal with all that, you can also check out wheel/tire packages on various websites like tirerack or selecttire.

Good luck!

Just got back from the local tire store and WalMart and they have no equivalent tire they tell me for the Towmaster F65-14R. They say it is a 205/65/14 and that Marathons or the Carlyle tire they carry make it??? BPS of course has the Towmaster for 106.99 + 20 deivery! Those using other tires what size are they?

Thanks again,

Kevin

I wish I could find it now, but I could have sworn I posted [but didn't save] a conversion chart. However, reflecting back to my youth that F65-14R tire is about a 205 equivalent width. I'll have to look at my tires when I get home, but I think mine are 75's. Yahoo F65 14 and you will find Towmasters for $60 many places.

Try Tractor Supply. Got my tires from there (they have a number of Trailer tires). Not sure they have the size you are looking for.

Tex

They had the 75's but those are much bigger and look like they would rub the fenders especially when hitting bumps. What size Carliles if you can check?

Ok there is a guy...... Don't you just love it when it starts out like that? Really there is a guy on ebay that will send you a set of four tires and rims brand new with nuts and center caps for $550 shipping included. His ebay store is sturdy built trailer parts check it out! All you have to do is mount them on the trailer.

The Dragon

I had the EXACT same problem. That's pretty much a discontinued size, except from Tracker and a few others for an arm and a leg. I rolled the dice and went with the 205/65/14 and it worked out fine. I only had less than 1" clearance between the fender edge and the tire and they never rubbed. You'll be fine.

Seems the Carlisle's are decent for single axles but, have not heard good stories on multiple axles. Neighbor has a cigarette boat with three axles and he has two spare Carlisle's cause he blowed 2 at one time:wacko:

I found the Tow-Masters online for $66 each shipped so it looks like I may do that. Sure beats about $125 from Tracker. As for the rims I may try one more time to sand them down and get them right. If not does anyone know if I were to replace what size I would need? (14 inch 5 on 4.50 is my uneducated guess?)

Kevin - most common lug nut pattern for a 5 lug 14 inch rim (which you have based on tire size) is 5 x 4.50. Probably your best bet. To confirm, you can always trace the tire lug nut pattern on a piece of paper and take it to a tire shop to see if their wheel lug pattern matches up.

These tires proved impossible to find in California. I just found the F65-14 online, these guys stock them, he had 50 when I called him today. He's a specialty tire store in Pa., he carries tires for off road vehicles, trailers, etc....

2 tires with shipping to California was $169, tires are only $59 each but that shipping is what added cost. Well worth it to me. Just an FYI. Their link is below:

http://brutttires.stores.yahoo.net/
http://brutttires.stores.yahoo.net/

Latest posts

Back