Trailer hitch informaition

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Soult

Reaction score
I bought a new truck last Nov. and I need to put a trailer hith on it. I was thinking about doing the job myself. I was wondering what anyone's thoughts are on doing this. It doesn't look too complicated but then I've never installed one. I'm just trying to see if I can save myself some money.

I just recently did one and let me tell you from experience if your not confident of an easy install, your better off bringing it to the pros.There are many variables depending on what kind of vehicle and hitch are involved. Wiring for instance could be as easy as a plug in adapter harness to wires having to be run from both taillights. You really need to look in to it a bit and see what its gonna entail. You'll definately need a torque wrench. Good Luck!!!

When you purchase the hitch does it come with all of the necessary hardware. I have a torque wrench so that's not a problem. I just want to make sure that it comes with all of the hardware and instructions. I'm planning on getting a Draw-Tite class 3 hitch for a 2003 Chevy Sierra pickup

You should have an easier time of it with a newer vehicle and all the hardware comes with the hitch. You'll need to see what kind of electrical adapter you'll need depending on what was originally set up at the factory. Best situation would be a wired harness up to your rear bumper. If your ordering it from draw-tite.com they should be able to tell you exactly what you need for your truck electrically also. I believe they also have installation instructions for each hitch so you can get a heads up.

From what I've read on their website the hitch uses existing holes in the frame, if so I should be able do the installation.

If your wiring is not correct, you'll have to take it to a dealer. I had to bring mine to the dealer to get the correct wiring so I could mount the plug to match the trailer. The problem was the back up light for trailer brakes, it did not come factory wired for it.

When you go to places like U-Haul you never know who is installing your hitch. I was 17 yrs old and still in high school installing hitches. Knowing what I know, I'd go to an actual trailer/hitch place or do it my self.

Gene

I was talking about a U-Haul hitch center. Not just a place that rents the trucks. I have talked to the guys there and they have installed a couple of hitches for me. The guy who installed my hitches has been doing it for ten years and does it all day every day. I even watched him put on the last one. Ask questions and get an experienced guy and you'll have a good experience.

Bob, your right in getting the class III hitch. Don't make the same mistake I did and go with the class II even if you don't need the extra towing capacity. When I bought my boat all I could see was unexpected $$$$$$$ flying out the window so I saved about 75 or 100 dollars. Now I'm sorry because there are no accessories to fit the small reciver.

The only issue with wireing I can think of is some vehicles have sensors to turn on a warning light if you have a burned out bulb. When you hook up trailer lights it causes a voltage drop that makes the sensor think your bulbs are burned out. You'll need some sort of relay or adapter-- I'm not sure. My Jeep did not require one. Check it out.

Harpo

I've had real good luck with U-Haul as they used the same brand which i think is 'draw tite'. They were very reasonably priced compared to trailer/rv shops. takes them about 20 minutes to put it on and it is gauranteed. Would highly recommend. i watched them put it on and it do utilize existing factory holes in the frame. they utilized a holder to hold the new hitch up while they bolted it up. does look like a project that you could do yourself, but might need a hand holding it in place. for what u-haul charged, it was well worth it to have them install, plus you get the warranty. my .02. the u-haul i went to also installed the transmission coolers also. thinkin about adding that this yr.

jd

I installed a reese hitch on my 2002 silverado last year took about 20 minutes to do and was really easy. I'm sure your sierra is similar. Just let the spare down first and your set. I used a 5 gallon bucket to hold one side up while I bolted up the other side.

Good luck

most if not all new trucks are pre drilled for trailer hitches.there is usually a trailer plug pigtail under the rear bumper. check your owners manual.if no pigtail HOPPY products and others make quick plug in kits.there are even plugs with both a flat 4 and a 7 pin in the same housing.i have a 2001 silverado and it took me less than twenty min to install the 8 bolts and wire the plug.if you are at all uncomfortable doing this let someone else do it but if you are the slightest bit handy you should have no trouble.

good luck

p.s.

if women don't find you handsome,

at least let them find you handy!

well scott,leave that alone!

putting an a hitch is like the easiest thing if and only if the frame is not bent in any way.

best thing to do is to get one made for your vehicle.they bolt on to origional holes in the frame.if they dont,then get yourself a 1/2" drill,and 3 bits,a 1/4",3/8",and a 19/64ths bits.use the 19/64th for a mark,then drill with a 1/4,then 3/8 then 19/64th.run 1/2"grade 8 bolts,washers,and locking nuts with lockwashers on them.tighten them down tight a you can get it.

get a lite-mate plug adapter which plugs into the origional harness and then plug in the adapter with whatever plug you have on the boat,4 pole,5 pole,whatever style.i went with a 7 pole rv plug on the truck and on my trailer,but i have the adapter to pull a 4 pole adapter.

ive seen some of the u-haul employees,and i wouldnt trust them to bolt the trailer onto my truck!

Latest posts

Back