Trailer Brakes or not?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenji Snow

Reaction score
I own a 98 Tracker PT 175 with a painted (Not Galvanized) trailer and I live on the coast AND... my rig is stored outside. The resulting rust on the trailer has prompted me to buy a new trailer. I have decided to get one of the new galvanized models from tracker. Fully dipped galvanized coating, zinc coating, some kind of conversian coating followed by a clearcoat and then paint. Seems like my rust problem will be resolved.

My big indecision is to get brakes or not to get brakes. My overall weight is well below what California requires to have mandatory brakes. I have spoken to three dealers and all three suggest I do not buy brakes. Some of their comments were:

Too much maintenance

Innefective with the light weight of the PT 175

My tow vehicle has good enough brakes

So what do YOU guys think? If you have trailer brakes on a similar sized trailer are they overkill? What are the pro's and cons?

My tow vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee with an inline 6 Cyl. The engine is modified and has increased torque and HP with a stock brake system with Heavy Duty pads. Sometime this year I'll be swapping in two Dana 44 axles with 4:56 gears and air lockers so I will be putting in larger brakes but I still think trailer brakes would be an added safety feature.

Thanks,

Kenji

Ive had a PT 165 and a PT 185, both were towed with vehicles similar to yours-a Pathfinder and an Explorer. No braking problems.

Kenji - Unless you are towing a much heavier rig I would not go with brakes. Your current rig is light enough and doesn't require them. Put the extra money into better electronics or new gear.

I don't know what the specs are for a 98 tracker 175 but on the Tracker web site the 2006 total package weight is 1550 lbs, add fuel and gear and that would put you well over the GW 1500 lb CA state weight limit to roll without aux breaks.

You already seem to have the gut feeling that you should get the breaks so let me add...When it comes to safety of you, your family and others on the road the few dollars saved can never be enough in repayment or comfort in the event of an accident that could possibly have been avoid.

Cass :D
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/laws.htm

Kenji...where have you been? Most don't know I learned about polishin' tin boats from you:D

Just make sure your brakes are up to par on the vehicle and I don't think it'll be an issue.

On wet roads even a light boat can get you when the unexpected happens. I got pushed by a 14 foot v hull once. So it can happen. Especially so if you go with mud terrains on your tow rig. Clark

Trailer brakes? Yes no matter what your pulling. Wish I had them several times despite my light rig. (Nitro 170DC)

fatrap

Kenji:

I have a 2002 PT175 with the old galvanized trailer. Its towed with a Nissan Murano and I've not had a problem without trailer brakes. I thought about adding them too, but my dealer noted that the light rig didn't need them and could actually cause MORE problems than it resolved (maintenance, performance, etc.). Plus, here in VA, if you have brakes on your trailer, you need to have annual inspection by a DMV certified facility. I've even towed my rig (fully loaded) with my wife's minivan and it did fine as well. The key is to make sure to look further ahead than you would if just driving the truck solo (i.e., nothing hitched to the rear) and plan ahead.

JC

Ever had to stand on your brakes without a trailer on the back? Well, when you have a trailer back there no matter the weight its going to take off on you when you have to make the same decision. I would go with Brakes on the trailer.

My .02

Max <><

I have a 17.5 ft. Nitro that I am looking at adding brakes to because I almost got killed by some jerk who pulled out in front of me on a major highway. I drive a big truck that had recently had the brake pads replaced. I was still unable to stop in time causing me to go into the median and uncontrollably caused me to get into the on coming traffic. One of the drivers in the oncoming traffic was just able to get out of the way, barely missing me. My boat fish-tailed all over the place before I was able to come to a stop. The trailer knocked out my tail lights and the trailer tounge was bent real bad. I was extremely lucky I and someone didn't get killed. If that oncoming traffic person hadn't been paying close attention, both of us would be dead. It's kinda hard to survive the impact of getting hit head on at 70+ mph! The person who pulled out in front of me, causing this accident did not stop.:angry:

Had I had brakes on my trailer, I would have been able to stop. I haul cattle in my cattle trailer with a full load of cattle that weighs over twice as my boat and had close calls with people pulling out in front of me, but because of the brakes I had no problems stopping.

Obviously, I recommend that you get the brakes. How much money is your life worth to you? Hopefully at least the amount extra the brakes costs.

Take care.

I'd get the trailer brakes.

Well focused and defensive driving does not prevent the unexpected (e.g., the nut referenced in an earlier response).

They do other things for you such as tow vehicle track stability, wear and tear on your tow vehicle, and prevent (personal experience here) being able to read your outboard horsepower rating off the cowling in your driver's side mirror.

Ask the dealer to let you pull something with the brake system - even on a dry surface - you'll recognize the value.

My thoughts anyway!

Greg

Kenji - Lots of good points here. Interestingly, a lot of the posters advocating brakes are talking about glass rigs, which are substantially heavier than tin. Can't argue with them as I've not pulled a glass rig. I have, however, pulled (and continue to pull) a tin rig similar to the set up you're talking about. In three years of local and highway pulling, I've not once ever felt the need for trailer brakes. I've even been cut off once or thrice on I-95 in Virginia and still not had a problem. At well under 2K pounds fully loaded, brakes are simply overkill on a properly equipped vehicle. Your Jeep sounds like a properly equipped vehicle. Put another way, my dealer noted they weren't necessary. Why would he say that when he could have said otherwise and made more money from me by selling a trailer with brakes (or the brake add-on kit)? Ultimately, its up to you to decide. Just be sure to compare apples to apples re: boat/trailer weights.

JC

Thanks for the feedback. I have decided on getting the brakes, better safe than sorry. Even with the light rig, I have experienced brake fade on long grades while on trips to Arizona and to Clear Lake (California). The additional cost is only about $400.00.

I have looked at a lot of trailers and saw that most run around $1700.00 each. I spoke with a Tracker dealer and he quoted me 900.00 plus 400 for the brakes. It's one of those new galvanized trailstar models. Anyone have any experience with trailstar Galv. trailers? How well do they hold up. I live almost on the beach here in CA and it wreaks havoc on trailers and gear.

Thanks,

:p

Glad to hear you ar going with the breaks. Galvinized trailer is great, it shouldn't rust and you don't have to worry about the paint chipping. I had one with my Tracker Targa.

Cass :D

I think you are making a very wise and safe decision.

I would rather buy them and not need them, than to need them in a life or death situation and not have them.

I hope everything works out for you!

Take care

Kenji, I may not agree with the need for breaks on the 175, but i'd DIE for one of those Galvashield Trailers!! MAN i'd love a 898 DC with a 200 Opti, non-skid deck and the galvashield trailer!! man can you say Bass AND Bay boat!! WOO HOO!! Ok, that would mean a new tow vehicle. Oh well, i'd blow for the MT Truck of the Year- Honda Ridgeline! MAN i'm dreaming!!

Enjoy the boat, trailer and brakes! Take some pictures when you have it all done!!

Latest posts

Back