Trailer Brakes: Do I Need 'Em?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon (TXJHawk)

Reaction score
I'm gathering as much info as I can before making my first real boat purchase, and I'm strongly leaning towards the Pro Team 175. I'll be pulling it with a 2001 5.4L F150 with plenty of towing umph to pull about three of these boats, but I'm wondering: Should I order brakes with the trailer just the same? Will I need them, or is that an unnecessary expense considering these boats aren't that heavy? Any input would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I live in Texas, and to my knowledge there is no law requiring that the trailer have brakes. Thanks in advance!

TXJHawk

Nope, your more than fine. If you were towing a 929 behind a Mazda, it would be different. 175's don't weigh anything. Good luck with the purchase. Tow it to the owners rally next month.

Heck, if I can get my wife to let me take this plunge by next month, which is only slightly better odds than my winning the lottery, I'll definitely be at the rally! Thanks very much, Ken and Rob! That's about 400 less bucks I have to convince The Lil Lady to let me spend! Good fishin' to y'all!

TXJhawk - As usual i'll throw my 2 cents in here. Can brakes help, sure true stopping power on the trailer will always be better then not having it.

I've pulled my 175 with 3 different vehicles (don't laugh), first a 92 Saturn (rated to tow 1000lbs), second a 99 Honda Oydessy (rated to 3500lbs), and now my 96 Mercury Sable (rated to tow 1600lbs) with out one problem stopping in any of them. I've had to slam on the brakes due to stupid drivers cutting me off on the highway in all 3 vehicles and have had no problem.

Here in GA if the combined weight is under 2000lbs (I believe) brakes are not required. My vote would be to save the money and send it to ME! LOL

See with the $$$ you just saved you can come to the rally!

TXJ...where do u live in TX? I'm in North Dallas and seriously considering driving out to the rally. Having some company on that LLOOOONNNGGG drive would be awesome.

BEWARE of Adam's opening remarks to you if you don't know him!!!!!!!!!!!...LOL!!!!!!

J/K

Mac

(Dude,...I still laugh at the thought of that)

Adam: I'm in Austin...landed here from Kansas three years ago. Don't get to fish as much these days, either, but it's due not to job but to a surprise little one who arrived 15 months ago, and his Mom's new job. It takes a lot more of her time, but that's okay, 'cause it's also the only reason I get to shop for a boat! Now if I can just get her to let me stay home with the boy instead of workin'...we'd be fishing all day every day--can't think of a better way to raise a child! Maybe we can hit a rally once the little 'un gets a little older, Adam!

Mac: Thanks for the warning, although I must admit I'm missing the inside joke....oh well, probably wouldn't get it anyway!

Best of luck with the boy...that's pretty exciting stuff! Once you get your routine figured out with the kid and get yourself a boat, life will be grand! You're right, there's no better way to bring up a child then taking 'em fishing!

As far as the inside jokes goes...you don't WANT to get it!!!

Offer stands, though, for anybody else in Texas thinking about going to the rally. Kinda looking forward to a good 'ol road trip!!

TXJHawk - I've been trying for over 5 years now to get my wife to swap places with me! And your right we'd spend EVERY DAY on the lake if we could. Get that little guy out this fall with a good lifejacket, take it slow and let him get used to it. Then the only problem you'll have in a few years, is getting to fish by yourself! LOL

Hey guys, watch the role call post for a rider at the rally. Don't fly, book a flight now on priceline for $200 and I'll pick you up at the airport. I have room for a rider and possibly so does Pierre. Plus Magna does, as well as some others who are coming. Just bring clothes, your tackle, and a couple of rods and show up. Like I said, if $$$ is the issue, my couch and queen sized inflatable mattress are available. I can put 2 folks in my living room free of charge and give you rides each day. I want everyone that wants to come to have means.

TXJhawk,

Where in KS did you come from? I live in Council Grove. Do you still have any reason to come back to the state?

Tim

Save the money on the breaks, give it to your wife and send her on a shopping spree! I'm towing the TV-18/150Merc and don't have the breaks. Your truck will not have any problem stopping without trailer brakes.

Brakes...not "breaks". Sheesh, where's my head today?

Tim: I'm from Lawrence, and yes, still got lots of folks and friends up there. We haven't gotten back home as much since the little one arrived, but we go at least a couple times a year. Matter of fact, I'm thinking about taking a few days off before my work busy season hits to fish some of my old honey holes up there and pitch a tent. Texas is great bass fishing, but it's so damn crowded down here that I still prefer the fishing back home. Fish aren't as big, but at least you get some peace and quiet--a very rare commodity around Austin. Why do you ask?

TrepMan: Yep, little man will definitely be good to go once the summer heat subsides this fall. Keep workin' your wife...I know I'll keep workin' mine! And the problem you mention I can understand (that's why I made sure my wife didn't love to fish as much as I do before I married her-ha!), although not a bad problem to have, huh?

MOFish: That's a darn good idea...I have a feeling she would really like you! Say, what are you towing with?

Everybody: Thank you very, very much for the feedback!

By the way, I'm flying into Austin later this month. Would love to shake your hand and visit, even if only for a few minutes.

MOFish: Maybe we could do lunch; when will you be here? Might wanna bring a trout rod...believe it or not, there's a self-sustaining population below Canyon Lake in the Guadalupe River, about 45 minutes S of Austin towards San Antonio. I've not fished it yet but I scouted it once or twice, and it looks very nice. Not Current River or Taneycomo nice, but nice just the same. Big issue now is the trout are dying after eating fire ants...not sure how they'll fix that problem!

Nice tow vehicle you have there!! I was surprised at the difference in power between the 4.6 and the 5.4 also; I was also a little surprised at my atrocious gas mileage--I'm real lucky to get 14 in town--but if I had it to do over again, I'd still the get the big one!

Anyhoo, lemme know when you'll be here.

TJX, lunch is a definite possibility. Fishing is not. I've got appointments in Austin, Georgetown, Waco and then west of Ft. Worth before heading back home. I'll get in touch with you about a time/place after I get back from L.A. next week.

I was just going to suggest that if you had some time when you are in maybe a little fishing journey. I live about an hour and twenty minutes from Lawrence. Got two lajes here and just about any kind of fishing you could want.(except Trout!) I do a lot of Bass and Crappie fishing.

Tim

MO: Sounds good! Lots of good food in Austin, for sure. Sounds like a grueling business trip...you'll need to get out on the water for a few days after you get home!

Tim: If I get up that way in the near future, I'll definitely give you a shout. Which 2 lakes? Pomona? Council Grove? Melvern? Clinton? Being a 2man-boat and float-tube kinda guy back then, I didn't fish big lakes nearly as often as I fished the small ones, although I did spend a lot of time on Clinton when the crappie were spawnin'. If you have any interest in fishing small lakes up there, I know some very, very good ones (bass mainly). Biggest fish of my life came from a city lake not too far from you. If you want details, let me know!

Latest posts

Back