Top 10 Toughest . . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
The USA Today is running another series of articles on 'Top Ten Things . . .'. Last year, it was the Top Ten Hardest things to do in sports. This year it's the Top Ten Toughest in sports.

Yesterday, it was a good opening article, followed by a pretty decent pick at #10. However . . .

I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when they picked Shaquille O'Neal at #9. He won't even make my list of the "Toughest" centers from the NBA ranks. That has to be Bill Russell. After Russell, I would be proned to pick Moses Malone or maybe even Wes Unseld (spelling?).

Anyway, not sure where the list is going, but it's pretty easy for me to pick the Toughest Person in Sports. My pick is Lance Armstrong. I'm not certain that there is even a close second, when you consider what he has done as an athelete, and combine it with his cancer battles.

What's your number 1 overall, and potentially what are your choices for toughest by favorite sports (some of the qualities that USA Today included were tenacity, length of 'service', success, ability to overcome injury.

My other favorites:

Football - Dick Buktus

Hockey - Gordie Howe/Bobby Orr

Baseball - Lou Gerhig/Nolan Ryan

Golf - Ben Hogan

Tex

Toughest in baseball has to be Cal Ripken.

Lance Armstrong overall though.

Football, maybe Ronnie Lott who cut part of a finger off to play - or is that just stupid?

Golf - Ken Venturi

Bill

Hockey, I give the nod to Brendan Shanahan.

Of course, there's folks like Chris Chelios that would be another good choice.

I watched Shanahan when he was in St. Louis. He took a puck to the mouth, sewed up and got a hat trick AFTER the puck to the face, and if I'm not mistaken, even got in a fight with his mouth stitched up. They must have good drugs to get back out there after such things.

I don't agree on Ripkin. He was shooting for the record, came in some games, just long enough to keep his streak alive.

Lance Armstrong is WAY over-hyped. Then again, I personally dislike him strongly, so I might be biased.

Overall- Armstrong

Baseball-Cal Ripken

Football-Larry Csonka

Bass fishing-Tom Mann

Boxing-George Foreman

Basketball-Who cares?

Soccer- Who knows?

Minor League Baseball-Michael Jackson

Flame throwing-TOXIC

Tom

Top spot has to be choices between Lance Armstrong... Nolan Ryan... for toughness... and for "staying power"...

But I have to say the noone has ever dominated a sport like Tiger Woods...

Its just unreal...

Michael Jordan says it all.....no one could stop him all they could do is foul him....nobody was better in clutch situations than him, all sports included!

Don't forget about Pele'.....the overall BEST conditioned athlete's by FAR are World Cup Soccer Players,...

Lance Armstrong is a stud,....to beat cancer and win the Tour de France 5 times is unparalleled in ANY sport!!

Tiger Woods will also be a top pick....he's a living legend and he'll own every single record in golf before he retires.

Gordy Howe was the toughest Hockey Player, but Gretzke was the most "skilled"....Jordan ruled the B-Ball court, Sampras, the Tennis Court,...Joe Steroids, the Diamond, Barry Sanders - Football...and KVD- Fishing...

Hmmm being from KY and loving basketball I almost forgot....Adolf Rupp former UK Wildcats Basketball Coach.....we has ahead of his time

Ernie Ervine....my dad was at Michigan International speedway when the crash happened...he saw it happen too.

Golf: Annika Sornstrom (sp)

Baseball: Jackie Robinson

Football: Vince Lombardi

Soccer: Dont watch

Fishing: Jay Yelas

Hockey: Brendan Shanahan

T.S.

Gretzsky the most skilled ?

come on Mac,yer killin' me

He couldn't hold Mario Lemieux's jock.LOL

Even after the cancer AND suffering from back problems for the last ten years.

And no cheap shots about the GREAT season they are having this year.LOL

Football, I'd have to say Butkus

Baseball, I'd have to say Nolan Ryan

Hockey, what a large group of tough guys, but I'd say Gordie Howe,Bob "Battleship" Kelly

Racing, Dale Earnhardt

Boxing, George Foreman, in his prime

Basketball, Jerry Sloan or Norm Van Lier

Golf? ... Cmon!

lol, egMike.... ps, it's toughest, not best or most talented, hence my picks of people like Norm van Lier, and Bob Kelly

Racing A.J Foyt

Nascar Richard Petty

Baseball Hank Arron

Football Johnny Unitas

Fishing Bill Dance

Basketball Karl Malone

IMHO these guys have done the most for there sports

I guess it all depends on what era you are from they are all kings in there own rights

BF

Boys, I'm SICK of hearing how Lance Armstrong beat cancer. He had testicular cancer, lost one of the boys and got some chemo. If it weren't for the chemo, he'd still be overweight and unable to compete at the level he's at.

Of course, I'm SICK of hearing about Lance Armstrong in general.

Now that I've put on my flame-retardant suit..... folks, he rides a freaking bicycle! Whoopty freaking do!

Gee Mike, tell us how you really feel about Lance!!!

Bob G.

Mike,

Lance Armstrong had Testicular cancer to begin with, and then it moved on. It was far more critical than you portray here.

And it is in very poor taste, to critize anyone that has had to deal with cancer and take chemotherapy treatments.

Tex

What you see is what you get with the snowman!! The BIG picture.LOL!! Nothing is in poor taste anymore. Censorship levels dropping, they can now drop the "F" bomb on TV. Listen to any comic live and you will find that "bad taste" is non-existant. Yeah, Armstrong rides a bike....and he had cancer, yeah he's tough...but some of the others? fishing, I would not call fishing "tough" by the nature of the sport...skilled but not tough, Woods...once again VERY skilled but "tough".....naaaaa. My secretary could open a major can of whoop on him. She is a single mother with 2 boys. Race car drivers....tough? They sit in a car and go round and round, you don't have to be tough to hit the 4th corner wall at 200mph, you might be tough to get mangled and then come back but "tough"....Basketball....at what age did Bird play? Yeah, the elbows fly but last time I checked they don't carry too many BB players off in a stretcher...I don't consider atheletes who have toned their physical and mental bodies to be the best in their sport "TOUGH" Now TOUGH is Hockey, Football, Rugby, Aussie Football, LaCrosse, Greco-Roman wrestling etc. And let's not forget boxing, the only sport you are suppoed to cripple your opponent by giving them a concussion.

Toughest I have ever seen.......Eddie "The Animal", a guy that I used to be a bouncer at a bar with. He got shot and stabbed by a gang one night and the last thing I saw was him on the roof of a car going 70mph down Broadway in Council Bluffs Iowa, and he had the driver by the hair, giving him some free dental work. We did get him to the hospital. Now that my friends is TOUGH......

TOXIC

and let's not forget our military folks...their job is to be tough!!

USA Today made Tiger the 8th toughest, based completely on his mental toughness.

I'm not in agreement, but it's 'their' list.

Tex

phooey on them!!LOL Somebody better define "Tough". I'm sure it is a mental sport. Anybody ever hear Robin Wiliams rendition of the origins of golf? I know fatrap has cause I sent it to him. I got a gut ache from laughing!! Somebody dig it up off of the HBO special....

TOXIC

Tox...

I am in tears... !@#$ NO... eithteen times!!!!!

James,

I would hope that you would not post like that in the future... Disagreeing with someone is acceptable but you don't look good yourself when you make a post like that.

Hey Jr...

Did you ever hear Richard Pryor's monologue about his divorce... He said "her" lawyer and the Judge were so against him that the Judge looked at him and said; "Boy, you got any dreams... we're gonna give them to her, too." That's tough....!

Whoever took your car was just down right mean...!

Pryor also said he was giving up marriage...instead, every 5 years he was gonna go find some beatch he didn't like and give her his house!!

TOXIC

I'm not gonna knock Lance Armstrong, I don't know enough about the sport, but I do know on occasional bike rides with the kids a couple miles seems like forever!

And Tox, I agree with an earlier post of yours pretty much, except the part about race drivers not being tough, don't forget, they're strapped into this car, which can get to well over 100 degrees in the driver's area, they have to wear special shoes so they don't melt the bottom of their foot, then they fight the steering wheel for 4 hours while riding 6 inches from the next guy's door, and the guy behind them's nudging their bumper, while they draft the car in front of them, oh, and then they go from 190+ mph down to maybe 145 mph in about 2 seconds, then coming out of the turn bring it back up to 190+, and do it over and over for hours at a time..... so I call 'em tough, (of course, my wife disagrees, she just calls 'em stupid) LOL egMike

I can drive my truck faster than he can ride a bike :).

Remember, I just flat out don't like the guy. There's nothing that can be said that will make me like him.

I do believe he's the one who said that if it weren't for the cancer and chemo, he wouldn't be in the shape he's in now physically.

Again, I don't like him... I'm sick of hearing about him. The fact that he lives a couple hundred miles away means every time he passes gas, it makes the local news. It got real old, real quick.

I'm not jealous, don't care to ever compete in the Tour de France, don't ever care who wins... He's been shoved down my throat so much I just can't stand him.

I think Teri likes Mike Ike more than I like Armstrong...

Latest posts

Back