Too many fishing poles

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Butler

Reaction score
i have 22 fishing poles. I bought a new spinning rod and reel today, the wife said i'm out of my mind. she claims no one in ther right mind has that many poles. Tell me i'm i the only one on the board who is plum crazy. i think i belong to a special club. My way of thinking is the more poles the more peace of mind.

Dave

One can NEVER have too many,...I've got 35-40 with 10 more coming before spring!

For all of you with multiple poles, which on is the best as far as sensitivity. I need one good pole to really feel the bass. I don't feel my current rods are very sensitive.

Between the wife and I we have about 30 in the boat, and I am about to order 2 more... (with the wife's blessing, of course!)

Teri... It really depends upon the technique and budget... as well as preferences of the user. I know that when barb and I stepped up to the GL2 from Loomis, we started catching a greater number of fish. Since then, (2 seasons ago) we have been buying a lot of very technique specific custom rods... what this means is that we get the "right blank" built up in a way that maximizes sensitivity and technique.

Generally speaking, sensitivity is directly related to the weight of the rod (ligher is better) and then the materials...

If I had to recomend just one factory rod to start with, it would be the Loomis 783, in the Gl3 lineup. You'll almost feel the fish looking at the lure... This rod would be for wormin, jiggin, etc... (jump lures)... Only way to go better is to go custom and get Revolver style rods (for Baitcasters)...Rich Forhan's book on "Powerhand Baitcasting" can give you alot of details on what you are looking for... he also builds rods...

For crankbaiting, it's hard to beat the BPS crankin' stick for the money... if you want the best, you'll have to go custom for the RF-846-S glass rod... it's custom, but there isnt a better tight line rod out there.

I'm sure Mini will step in with some very good info as well.

Most of my rods are Galyans brand medium action 6' or 6'6" either IM6, 7, or 8 for spinning and baitcasting. I like the durability and the price and the lifetime guarantee. I usually pick them up on sale for $40 for the IM8. I think they are $60 or $70 regular price. I would like to have one good spinning rod and one good baitcasting rod. I just feel like unless the bass slams it I have a hard time "feeling it" unless therem is no wind. Would a nice rod make a big difference?

I mainly fish worms, jig and pigs, and crankbaits.

Okay, here goes... best rods.

I'll let Mini give you the info on All-Star. Here's what I've got for you on St. Croix.

They are also made in the USA, lifetime warranty on the Avid and Legend Elite series. The Avid has a fiberglass scrim and the LE has a carbon fiber scrim. The Avid has Alconite guides and the LE has SiC guides. Fuji guides and reel seat and of course, premium cork handles.

I don't know your height, but if you're petite like my lovely wife, a 6' is a good length (she's 5'2" or so). I'm 6'2" and I like a 7' for most applications. A shorter rod will give you better accuracy at the cost of casting length.

I have a couple of rods on order from St. Croix, a 7'mf LE series for worming and a 5'6" spinning mf for skipping docks. The short rod is needed because boat position in relation to the dock isn't always great and a longer rod can be harder to use to try to skip the lure under the dock if you're too close.

I have 14 freshwater bass rods. The ones i have chosen fit the way i fiah and i find i dont need any more yet anyway.

Teri, Simmy is right. you need to start by matching the rod to the technique then go from there. For example my spinnerbait rod wound not work well for worms or jigs. This is the reason we have so many rods. As far as brand i really like St Croix. I buy them as they come from the factory, i dont feel the need to buy costom. I buy mostly the avid model, they are super light and you can feel every little tap. They aremt cheap at about $160 but worth every cent. And should it ever break they take care if it no questions asked. I also buy the premier model as well. They run about 80 to 100 bucks and for the money i dont think you will find a nicer rod.

Dave, I think I have about 10 baitcast and maybe 15 or so spinning setups, plus 2 ultralight setups and a handful of the old Zebco combos for the kids and on occasion, the wife.

My wife also says I'm out of my mind, but every time she starts in on me, I take her to the bedroom............

(stop it, ya pervs...)hehe.....open the closet.... and start examining her shoe collection...(what we you expecting?, lol)...that usually ends any problems right there.......

What I do is I have for example, 3 combos set up for crankbaits, small/shallow, large/medium, etc...

1 for spinnerbaits, 1 for buzzbaits,1 for float worms,(spinning), 1 for C-rig, 1 for split shot worm, etc....and so on. And I have about 4 spinning combos set up for live bait/slip bobber, 2 for catfish, etc. And so on, I don't take everything on the boat with me however when I go fishing, I may bring about 6 combos depending on where I'm going.

Oh, and Teri, I like the BPS Crankin' Sticks, and also the BPS Rick Clunn model for crankbaiting.

Bionic Blades have also worked real well for me for both spinning and baitcast. My neighbor/fishing buddy swears by the Berkeley Lightning Rods (I have 2 for spinning), and he can buy at least 2 of those for every one of whatever brand I buy. I have no complaints about those either. All I know is I have about $200 set aside for the Classic (less than a month away now!), and can't wait. One thing definitely on my list is thanks to a post somewhere on here a short time back, a new and better transom saver. egMike

Mine number about 16-18 at this time. I'm pretty happy with what I have, but will add some specific speciality rod's to my arsenal as needed. Right now, I have 6-8 combo's (depending upon circumstances), that I carry/use regularly.

And no, you do not have too many.

Tex

I only own two combos. 1 is a BPS 5'6 spinning rod that is about 8 years old and I can still feel everything as if it were brand new. This rod is equipped with a Diawa spinning reel. I also have one baitcasting combo with a Diawa X series reel on it. (older style X..not the new ones.) That reel is seated on a Berkley Lightning rod. Teri let me tell you this rod is the best rod I have used for crankbaits.l...my dad even likes to use it better than his $200 St. Croix. The St. Croix is a nice rod and all but the Lightning rod just has more sensitivity when it comes down to cranking. This rod is not good for anyhting else besides fishing hardware like topwater,cranks, spinnerbaits ect.

If you want more info on the rod I would be more than happy to get it for you.

T.S.

I've got about 10 that I use all the time, then another 10 or so in "lay-up"...available just in case I need them...

Teri-

A buddy of mine went to a fishing seminar one time...

Someone in the audience asked a question of the Pro that was giving the lecture: "What does a bite feel like?"

The Pro responded that he did not know what a bite felt like...but, he did know what a "no bite" felt like...So, anytime he feels something other than a "no bite", he sets the hook!!!

az

Travis, what you seeing with your fathers St croix is most likley it has too fast of an action for crankbaits. for cranksand spiners you want a more moderate action, in general most st croix rods are too fast in the tip for that. They do make a crankbait series now that has a moderate tip on it that would fix that problem.

I use a st croix pro glass fiberglass rod for all my crankbait and some spinnerbait fishing. its very limber and super sensitive for that type of fishing.

i only have about 8 baitcasters and 2 spinning setups. i am looking to add another baitcaster to my arsenal. i just got the bps fishing catalogue and i have my eye on the shimano cardiff/extreme xps combo for $160. i prefer the higher profile reels to the low profile. all of my other rods are the bionic blade from bps. i love that rod. is the extreme xps a better rod than the bionic blade? is the cardiff the reel that i need?

bryan

NC, the Extreme may be technically a "better" rod, but I can't tell much difference between that and the bionic blade when I use them, I have both kinds and like 'em both equally. I DO know the JLM rods are a big step up from that though. (Don't have any of those......yet) egMike

A couple of notes on the lower end rods, such as those you get from Gaylan's, BPS, Walmart, etc... that are considered... The "IM6" quality is nice, but I think you will find a major difference in the overall construction of the rod...

What I mean is this...

How is the reelseat attached? The cork? do they use fillers to "shim" them? If so, these are places you lose sensitivity...

What kind of guides are being used? Usually the lower end rods use lower end components... more likely to fail, as well as being "heavy" or not good transmitters of the signal. (heavy is a relative term... a factory rod can wiegh as much as 2x a good custom rod based on this alone... wieght reduces vibrations, less vibrations, less "feel"...)

Also, the number of guides on a rod can greatly change the charectoristics and sensitivity...

Take a look at some of the newer reel seet designs from Rich or Brad Tharp's (http://www.bassrods.com) website... what you'll see there is no wasted components to deaden the blank. reelseats designed for maximum blank/finger contact to help you feel stuff...

Tennessee handles on the Spinning rods... put the reel where you can easily stretch an index finger to the rod... again, maximum contact and no waste...

I don't have specifics on the lower end Gaylan's or BPS rods.. but these are the little details that make a difference between a "good" rod and a "great" rod.

I thought graphite rods were "better" than fiberglass rods. There is just too much to know in this sport that seems so simple. :)

I just want to catch more fish and I think sensitivity has alot to do with my problem. I have a nice reel. I guess I need to work on the line and the rod to make it easier for myself.

Teri,

The rod (actually the guides too) is the most important fishing tool you can own. It is your "eyes and ears" between you and the fish. Your line is important too (especially your knot). But when all is considered and I am assuming your knot and line are good, your rod will make or break your success.

The closer you spend to $200 the better off you are. You can sp[end more, but you really dont have to.

I mentioned the guides are important, not only for the action of the rod but also for sensitivity. It is the guides that transfer the "vibration" or "feel" to the blank. The blank then transfers it to your hand (or reel seat if you arent touching the blank).

Take a look at the All Stars at your local retailer. The Titaniums are the best that can be produced, but they are $200 each.

I would like to get more detailed, but alas time doesnt allow.

I will try to check in later in the week....or fly to Dallas BPS this coming weekend and I will give you a personal seminar on All Stars.

Mini

Teri,

Glass rods have come along way, some have, anyway...Again, it really depends upon the technique.

It's only as confusing as you decide to make it...

What is your favorite technique right now? What size weight do you use? What size line?

Buy a "better" rod for that technique, it will help you to see what you've been missing, then apply that to future purchases...

Worms/Senkos/Texas rigs in the 1/4 to 3/8 ounce range you want a good MH rod... (loomis MBR 783 as a reference point)

Grubs/Tubes/sliders in the 1/16 to 1/4 range you want a good M rod (loomis SJR 722 as a reference point)

Flipping heavy cover with heavy jigs/spider wire, you want a "H" action rod

Crankbaits/Spinnerbaits (1/4 to 1 ounce) you want a RF-846-S glass rod, or the BPS crankin' Stick. These have a more "moderate" action (meaning they will load past the halfway point of the rod) which will keep you from jerking the hooks out of the fish, or pulling the bait away before they hit it... also allows you to work the bait thru the trees a bit better.

If anyone feels they have too many rods or reels or any other worthy fishing gear, please pack it all up and ship to me. Being the nice person I am I will pay for shipping.

Thank you,

Cass :)

I like to keep it simple....a cane pole and a snoopy combo!!

Bob G.

You could even go one step further than that Bob...

One of my bass magazines had an article on "hand-lining"...no pole required!!!

LOL

az

I save hand-lining for when the snoopy reel gets hung up and I'm landing the big one!! LOL

Bob G.

My frequent approach is a 7" worm with the smallest bullet sinker I can get away with, usually 1/16 to 1/4. Spinners I use 1/4 or 3/8 most of the time. 1/2 ounce Rat-L-Traps and something close to the 200 and 300 bandit series crankbait (usually Bomber A's). Those are the things I mostly feel confident with.

I do have a BPS cranking rod IM6 I think from a year or two ago and its on an Abu reel I never use. I took it in the drive way this weekend to cast it with a heavy sinker on the end. The line broke (probably too old) and the sinker went sailing and pegged the side of the neighbors house. Ha! One more reason not to talk to me.

ok, so Texas rigged worms (not finnesse styles) would call for a good MH rod, probably a 3 power based on your description...

If you step up to a ST. Croix Avid (~$150) or a GL3 MBR783, or an allstar in that range (mini will probably tell you exactly which one) I think you will see a world of difference. With most of these rods, they are one time purchases (meaning that they have good warrenty if something happens to them)...

How heavy a sinker did you use on that line? Most Cranks are in the 1/4 to 1/2 range, most spinnerbaits are 1.4-3/8 until you get more specialized... (ledgebusters, DD22, etc..)

Bandits wiegh in at a 1/4 ounce, bomber 6a as well.

Dave - I'm closing in on you, just counted 16 rods, Plus my Fly rod makes 17. And NO i'm not including my 2 kids Mickey mouse rods, beka's old Zebco 202 or Her one spining outfit!!!

What I think is funny, maybe its just me, but I think I caught more fish when I had less rods and concentrated on specific lures, then now when I end up with 6-8 rods on deck each with a different lure and job, and switch too often.

I use the lightest sinker I can. Usually only takes 1/16 to get it to sink in shallow water (6-8 feet). For line, I usually buy Triline. I prefer 8lb but everyone says I need to use 10-14 because of cover. I would switch brands if it really makes a difference. I don't know how to flip so I don't do that. I feel more comfortable with a 6 foot rod and I noticed that most of the st. croix and such come in 6'6 to 7. I can use a 6'6 but like 6' better. I am tall (5'10") but can "walk the dog" better with a 6'.

Teri,

St Croix makes most of its models available in a 6' rod. If you go to thier website you can see all the ones they make. The reason you see more 6'6 rods for sale is that is what most people prefer, i had a heck of a time finding my 5'6" pistol grip. If you were to get a st croix for worming and general use i would get something along the line of a med action with a fast tip. St croix rods always seem to have a bit more power then other brands of the same rating. If you wanted a 6' you could get the premier 6' med fast tip for around 90 bucks and it will be worlds better then what you are fishing now. That rod will fish worms no problem and be able to also fish spinnerbaits and small jigs. They also make that same rod in an avid for about 160. If you dont want to spend the money the on the avid(i dont feel you have to)the premier is a super rod, i have like 5 of them and 7 avids and a pro glass. I like both just fine and they balance nicely with a curado.

on the length of the rod...

Get what's most comfortable for you... But do keep in mind the difference between tip high (worms/jigs) and tip low (topwaters, cranks) techniques...

I am 5'6", the wife 5'2" and we have alot of 6'6 and 7' rods...

Longer rods mean better casting distance and more line retrieved on a hookset.

Basically, in the end you have to get what makes you more confident. Upgrading your rod(s) will be a big boost.

Trep, I am with you... most of my rods just end up on the deck, or left below, but when I want to switch quickly between techniques, I know I've got the right rod for the job. Takes alot of the question out... all I have to do then is be sure I'm "on fish"...

Jim,

I just ordered two custom grub rods on the st.croix avid blank... should be sweet! I forget about the premiere line...

Five rods, all spinning.. When one breaks I replace it,though that is rare. I still have two Billy Westmorland rods that are over 25 years old.

Bill

Thanks for all the info. I will look into the St Croix Premier I think. I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

Ok...not done yet...I looked on BPS for St Croix Premier. They have a Trigger series and a crankbait rod. They look and are described about the same. Which is better all purpose?

I also saw the 6'4" All Star team All Star Trigger rod for about the same price.

Which one?

not even close Teri,..get the All Star........you'll get a life-time warranty with it.

Teri, the crankbait series is a more limber rod desighed specifically for crankbaits. i would get the regualt trigger series. Wehn it somes to warranty St Croix is unmatched in my opinion, Teh premier comes with a 2 year warranty but over the years they have fixed plenty out of warranty for me. ive stepped on them, shut them in car doors and not once have they ever asked me for a dime to replace or repair one.

Latest posts

Back