Thinking of buying Tracker Allfish?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, new here, and thanks in advance to everyone for all the previously posted information. Big Help! I was thinking of the ProCrappie 175 until I saw this new All-fish. That seems like a fun fishing but and you can do some stuff with the family as well. Had jon boats and such when I was young and loved to fish but nothing like this. Here are my stats...followed by questions.

Primary fishing and play area: North Texas, generally flat and some rolling hills, max drive time generally no more than 1.5 hours to lakes

Fish: Family fishing like panfish, catfish, some traditional bass fishing by me and friends, and maybe some family boating, pull a tube or something, the later nothing serious (but safely).

Tow Vehicle: Original owner of 1988 Jeep Comanche 4.0 Litre 6 cylinder, standard 5 speed, kept it in great condition mechanically and do most maint myself, 165K miles, still runs great, but mid-sized truck for towing, will have to get a new class 3 draw-tite hitch installed and have been studying hitch rises, trailer wiring, etc...

Purchase time frame late December or January. Checked with my insurance and bank in advance, and pretty much everything is a go in that respect when the time comes.

Here are the specs for the boat I am considering...

Boat: Tracker Allfish 18 (very much like the TV-18 but not in the literature yet until 2005 models officially released)

Motor: 115 ELPTO with factory standard prop

Trailer: Tracker trailer but with brakes

Other: 1 extra seat (the allfish has this modular, changeable seat system)

- also factory boat cover as it will be outside

Fishfinder: standard Lowrance X-47 near the console, but was thinking of changing to the X-135

Questions:

1. Since it is a mid-sized truck I was thinking of adding the trailer brakes, any drawbacks or concerns? It seems like a good idea.

2. Not a big bass fisherman, but what about trolling motor upgrade? Is it worth it?

3. Opinions on the motor I have chosen? Maybe the 125hp? Don't need the Optimax for our lakes or my fishing, or gas usage.

4. With regard to fishfinders, can I have the X-47 replaced with the X-135 by the dealer during purchase? Or should I locate one on the bow with a trolling motor transducer? Which one would be best to locate where? Would the X-47 be good enough for general use?

Is the fish finder change really worth it? I like the settings save feature, resolution, and wattage of the X-135. I work with ultrasonics in my job so I know a thing or two about interferance by both transducers and would take steps to make certain that is taken care of...

5. Finally, there are several Tracker dealers in my area in DFW and I was thinking after I finally get my specs all lined up on extactly what I want, that I might create a document, a spec sheet detailing everything desired, including options (with maybe some alternatives listed), and present this to dealers for pricing. Any comments or ideas? Note that I could buy in Dec or Jan during the typical low season.

Finally, I've looked around at other new and used boats but nothing quite catches my fancy like the Allfish. I also worry about buying any pre-existing problems.

Sorry if I ramble on with a lot. I'm not generally his detailed but I've been doing my homework and want to buy a boat I can keep for awhile, one that I can grow with so to speak.

Thanks for any help!

TurkeyHunter

You've picked a great boat to grow with. I've had my TV-18 for 4 years now and I'm just starting to pack it with my current configuration.

Things to consider - get the biggest motor you can afford, you won't regret it later down the road.

Upgrade the trolling motor to 24V, 65lb - 74lb is great on that boat.

Save your money on electronics and replace them yourself.

Brakes on the trailer - I'm unsure on this subject. I don't have brakes on mine so I have no opinion on good or bad here.

Also try a search here on Allfish or TV18, you'll get more info.

Good luck with your purchase!

Turkey-

If the boat comes out of the same basic mold as the TV-18, you will love it!

Had my TV-18 for 4 seasons now...

I bought it because of its versatility and I have not been disappointed! I fish for many species here in Michigan and that puts me on lakes, rivers, and Lake Michigan. Have towed to Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley as well...

Great all-around boat.

I kept the standard 12v, 52lb thrust trolling motor and have not had any issues with it. I upgraded to an Optima battery for the trolling motor this season and have been happy with it.

My only complaint with this boat (mine is a 2000), is that the compartments leak in the rain.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

az

Good job doing your homework!! Sounds like you have pretty much got your arms around it!! As for dealer......let's see how many respond and offer the information that Pat did above...If you can get to his dealership do it!! AND...listen to what he has to say about setup and performance. Personally I agree with everything he said but I would put as many ponies on the back as possible, it just helps re-sale even if it is 1mph!!LOL!! Even the 150 if possible, you might want to pull 2 skiers or tubes. Bigger is better in the trolling motor department and 24v is a must. You won't need brakes but if they are an option from the factory, I would consider it. You need stainless for a prop, especially for the bigger motors, you might even consiter getting the prop "worked", Pat can tell if that is worth it. Good luck and welcome, you will find yourself here a lot!!

TOXIC

Thanks for all the help so far. The trailer surge brakes are an option from the factory. My Jeep Comanche truck weighs about 2,900 lbs and the complete boat package with gear and fuel could easily be about 2,350lbs. The braking physics are a bit concerning. Any other comments?

Anyone have experience with something like the TV-18 and a mid-sized truck?

My two main dealer options in the Dallas/Fort Worth area are Bass Pro Shops and Fin & Feather. Both seem to get good reports but BPS is a little closer. Granted the pricing may be "no haggle" but I could always watch for when they have specials like "motor upgrade" etc. I am in no hurry to buy and could wait for specials, or check the local boat shows in January.

Sounds like the trolling motor upgrade may be worth it. Maybe I'll wait on the fishfinder and just use the X47 in place for now.

A new prop seems like a good idea but one more for a future boat upgrade after I get some experience.

Thanks everyone so far!

TurkeyHunter

For $20k, I've got a 19' fiberglass BassCat Pantera Classic with a 200 EFI on the back and an lcx-18c color gps/finder. Less than 50 hours on the rig.. and I'm in Dallas :).

Mike,

Nice boat. Thanks for the offer but that boat may be a bit heavy for my needs right now. I do like the Allfish for dual livewells and baitwells, as well as open space.

Also, I located the Texas Fishing Info website. Great info on there for Texas! I saw your boat there as well....assuming it's the same.

After studying more boats used by crappie fishermen, I'm thinking of getting the Lowrance LMS-480M installed at the console because I was wanting GPS as well.

When I first start fishing North Texas I was thinking of picking maybe Ray Roberts and learning everything I could about that lake. Results from Joe Pool seem mixed.

Take care!

TurkeyHunter

Turkey-

I'm towing my TV-18 with 90hp with an '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee...I've got the 4.0 inline 6...no problems with power or braking...I do not have trailer brakes...

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

az

TurkeyHunter - I've got a 2000 Pro Crappie with a 40 Merc, LOVE the boat. But if I had the $$ i'd go with the TV18 (or All fish) with a 150!! SWEET, Fast and NICE boats!!!

If you want to crappie fish on Roberts (or most any lake), your first few scratches are going to hurt, but most of the guides are talking about fishing standing timber (cedars are best), which means getting that nose up into the tree. One of the guides on TFI has a partner that fishes Lewisville and Roberts almost exclusively for crappie and seems to be a magnet.

Latest posts

Back