Teleflex Hydraulic Steering question...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
So, I checked the fluid level at the helm, was a little low... took very little fluid to fill it up.

I also noticed that there is about 1/2 inch "free play" at the motor (you can move the motor back and forth about 1/2 travel on the piston rods)... when running/idling it kinda sits there and shimmys a little bit.

It still steers smooth as ever... no feeling of mushiness or loss of control... tracks straight as an arrow.

The question is the freeplay normal? how much is to much? Should I bleed the system anyway?

It sounds to me like you got a little air in there. My father had a similar problem with his and it ended up that he had to replace one of the seals on the cylinder at the motor. It was an easy job and it cured his, his was dripping a little oil so it was easy to pinpoint. I would try bleeding it and watch the level and see how it does. I dont know how much play is normal. Here is a link to the manual on the teleflex website, it should have all the info you need on how to bleed it.
http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/PDFs/296221-E.pdf

Mine had a little free play in it like your's does. I filled it up and after moving it from one extreme to the other numerous times, all the play is gone.

Latest posts

Back