Targa Stuck Seat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Hale

Reaction score
One of the 4 seats in my Targa is really stuck and I can not remove it. Will not move at all-- Do I need to remove the base from the deck to work on the removal ??

Any ideas??

Thanks HaleDamage-----------------------------------Rick Hale

Got the solution for you. I had a Targa for several years. The plastic cone gets stuck in the aluminum base.

Go to the hardware store and get some liquid graphite that is used to free up old locks and keyways. Put a line of the graphite around the seam on the base (where it meets the aluminum). Let it soak in/down. Won't penetrate the plastic or the aluminum, but will soak down.

Repeat the process 3 or 4 times. You'll probably need to let it sit at least 15-20 minutes between applications. It will finally do the job.

After you get it out, clean all surfaces and apply a thin coat (maybe using a cloth) to both surfaces. Problem will then be solved. After I did this on all four of my seats (and the multiple surfaces), I NEVER had a stuck seat again.

Best of luck.

Tex

Thanks Tex,, I'll give it a try--

Thought I read a posting -- Said to put a large washer in the bottom of the base -- This will allow the base/seat to lock-- but will stop the seat going to far down in the base ???

Just got done doing the yard thing -- :<>)

verticut /rake / seed / etc--feel like I've been dragged around the lake all day --

Plan on some fish in the AM if not too stiff>>>:

Thanks -- HaleDamage------------------------------Rick Hale

Rick,

Some of my seats were stuck when I bought my Targa. I took the boat back to the dealer and the salesman layed on top of the seat, with his chest, and rocked back and forth real gently to get them loose. I rubbed a bar of soap on all of the bases and haven't had any more problems with them.

Glenn

I keep a rubber mallet in my boat and when I can't get the seat up I remove the seat from the post, push the latch tab in with my foot, and whack the seat post a few times with the mallet back and forth. It will loosen the post so you can remove it. Before putting it back make sure the socket and the bottom of the post are as clean as you can get them and the post will come out easier the next time.

Regards,

John

Be careful putting any kind of lube on the base or the seat post bottom. My old boat had all of the seats stuck so I lubed them up and let them sit awhile before pulling them out. They came right out but that created another problem which cost my buddy 2 fishing rods. He swiveled in his seat to reach for something and the seat came out of the base and he landed on his 2 rods which snapped in 2 pieces. After further investigating I found a sticker on the post that says do not use ANY lubrication on the base or post. Be careful!

if you get them out take some 80 grit sandpaper and sand at the very bottom where the taper is. usually what happens is the alum base is smaller that the plastic bottom and it wedges. take a rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer and take some frustration out on the post's they will come out. see this problem every once and awhile this will fix ya up. ED

Latest posts

Back