Tahoe Trailstar trailer weight rating to low, trailer problems.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Richmond

Reaction score
Tahoe Trailstar trailer weight rating to low, trailer problems. I bought a Tahoe Q4SF (ski fish) with 4.3L mercuiser in 2004 from BassPro. Ever since my first road trip (400 miles) I have noticed premature tread wear on both tires, inner and outer tread wears out while center treads look new. I have gone through 5 sets of tires, 3 brake jobs, 2 Tiedown brake cylinders, 1 broken leaf spring and a boat that rides very rough in not in a bath tub (has to have trim all the way down and below 3000 rpm to not porpose). The Trailer has a nameplated GVW rating around 2000+lBS. The dealer recently weighed the package (as bought) in EXCESS of 1000 LBS over stated GVW and the Tahoe published sales literature and manuals. They are now scratching thier heads about what they are going to do if anything. I see there has been some recalls with the Nation Highway Transportation dept on this very issue back in Sept. 2004 on these Trailstar trailers. I am told my SN on trailer and or boat do not match the recall list.

Seems I got a design / manufactuing abortion.

Any ideas on subject? Good Lawyer?

As explained above, sounds like you have boat and trailer problems - not just trailer problems.

On the trailer problem - Skip the Lawyer. It would cost you more in the long run to sue them than just to get another trailer.

Not to be critical, but you waited 6 years to inquire into the boat being too heavy for the trailer? I would have started to raise a stink the first time I had to replace all the stuff you did. The broken leaf spring is a dead giveaway. I've not seen many "newer" leaf springs broken on a boat trailer. Old / Neglected - yeah, but not on a trailer as new as yours. On the tires - I have a 2005 (and I tow it a LOT), and I'm still on my first set of tires - with plenty of tread left. After my first set of prematurely wearing tires, I would have started to raise questions too.

On the GVW rating, what do you mean by "around ...." What is the exact GVW rating?

All the best,

Glenn

Tread wear on the outer edges indicates low air pressure.

Not saying you don't have the problems you claim but 5 sets of tires???? With the same wear pattern??? Should have given you a clue.

Of course, the porpoising issue has nothing to do with the tires and trailer.

inner and outer tire wear does indicate tire underinflation,run trailer tires at maximum inflation all the time.ive put 2 sets of tires on my trailer,first set was oem bias tires,cords broke in them,2nd set was bridgestone rd613's,wore like iron,got 6 yrs out of them,cords broke,blow out on them,3rd set didnt put on yet.

broken springs are normal fatigue items,they do break normally,more apt to break under no load rather than fully loaded.im on my original springs,minus broken 2nd leaf spring on a 1993 trailer.

brakes are common wear items,usage and dunking hot brakes in cold water tends to kill them quickly,brake cylinders the same,dunking in water tends to kill things quickly.

just my opinion, not an expert,didnt go to tire college,but did stay at a holiday inn last night@!

Mr. White... I will take your opinion of this stuff anyday. I thought the same thing about the tire wear.

As you know, I have the same trailer as you. No issues at all. Still have the original springs and have them checked every Spring. No indication of fatigue, etc. One thing my mechanic stressed, years ago; very tight transom straps, motor toter and boat snugged up to the front roller very tight. He said; "make the boat and trailer a single 'mass' with no wiggle or movement and the trailer will last forever.

I did actually sell tires for a while. Underinflated tires will wear out as described. Overinflated tires wear out in the center. That said if there is a recall they have to follow the instructions, perhaps it was addressed on yours and the plate was not updated....

Latest posts

Back