Suggestions - Kids Light Weight Life Jacket

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Eli is getting REALLY hot in his lifejacket, even when he's down to just shorts and the jacket, in the heat (we were out Friday evening in the mid 80's in the sun). I have the Mustang auto inflate vest, BEST present Beka's got me lately (well next to the Magnum! LOL), but Eli asked if there was an Auto inflate vest for kids (he's 60lbs right now), or a very safe but lighter weight vest? He is not allowed on the boat w/out a vest and he must wear it at all times even when the big motor is off. He's a great swimmer but I'm not taking chances with my fishing partner.

So, any suggestions on brands/makes???

Have you looked at the Cabela's women's series inflatables? Might be small enough for him and won't be nearly as hot as a vest.

Might also want to look at the new fanny pack style. If all else fails I'd call Stearns, they'll know what is out there.

Trep,

I have the same problem, except I'm in the Texas heat. My 6 year old does fine for a while, but when the sweat starts pouring down, it's hell to get him to keep it on, which I always demand that he does. It usually ends our fishing day, as I know the little guy is miserable in that thing. I won't let him take it off though. Same as you - I'm not taking any chances.

I called Mustang a while back to ask them about it, but they said they do not make (or recommend the use of) an inflatable with a child that size. I'm looking forward to the day that someone either makes one specifically for kids, or when my son is old enough to wear one of the ones currently on the market.

In the meantime, something that has alleviated some of the problem is a "Cool Tie". I got several from WalMart a while back, but the ones I had bought at a Bass Masters Classic several years ago worked a little better than these. You soak them in water and the beads inside of the tie turn into a jelly like substance and expand, contained within the cloth, that hold the water. I put one around his neck and the evaporating water helps to keep him cooled down.

All the best,

Glenn

For now, I'd have to say that the traditional, sweaty, vest style are all I'd recomend at his size/stature. Maybe next year, or when he gets a bit bigger (80 lbs. or more), I'd suggest the World Class line SOS like I put on Joey in the pic. They adjust down to quite a small size and will grow with him. They're not the least expensive by far, but I'd rather he have more than adequate inflation than not enough. ;)

DSC00022.JPG

Thanks Guys - Dan J - My kids hit 80lbs? I think i was 15 before I did!! LOL I wrestled and was UN DEFEATED in the 98 and under class my Freshman year of highschool!! LOL

OK so i'll keep an eye on his hieght and weight to know when the small one would fit.

Glen - That does sound cool (Pun intended), i'll have to check into that, he's fine like yours early mornings when we launch before sunrise ,but by 10AM or in the late afternoon's when we launch late he's a pain.

Trep

I've used the 'cool tie' things from WalMart also (I usually find them with the 'tennis stuff'). They help quite a bit - especially if you put them in with the ice that keeps the drinks cold!

I'm with the others that he is not quite big enough as yet for the auto-inflates, and I doubt any mfg. will make them for the kids. Personally, I've been very doubtfull that the 'fanny packs' will do much of anything other than keep you from getting a ticket.

Tex

Automotive synthetic chamois (absorber brand) work fantastic as well. Always have a couple in the boat for wimpy clients.

TOXIC

Greg - GREAT find! Eli is 60lbs right now, so this one you suggested should be good for 10+ years for him!!! LOL Ordering it online now so he can try it out memorial day weekend!

Glad I could help your kid (not you of course because I will forever, and ever, hold a grudge....LOL at least until you redeem yourself, if you ever come back to Wisconsin)

I keep a couple of those in adult sizes for summer use on my boat by adults who are unfamiliar with the water (non-swimmers) who I insist must also wear a vest at all times... Others get an auto-inflate

Latest posts

Back